GDT: SUCK IT ARIZONA!!!! Coyotes 4, Canucks 3

JA

My god if we get one of Patrick/Hischier....holy ****. I am giddy.
Recently, Grant McCagg remarked that numerous issues regarding Nolan Patrick, including his injury history, level of effort, on-ice performances, and character issues were causing him to fall out of favor with various NHL scouts. Today, he released an article expanding on those remarks with quotations.

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/
Meet your Makar, King Patrick
April 6, 2017 By Grant McCagg

If one had said six months ago that Patrick might not be a top-two pick, or even the first-overall pick for that matter, such a declaration would have been met with plenty of criticism and disbelief. Following an underwhelming injury-plagued season, however, in which he was already surpassed by Halifax Mooseheads’ center Nico Hischier in a lot of scouts’ minds…if one prospect is already thought to be as good or better, why not another?

I see a lot of parallels between Monahan and Patrick. Monahan is a 6-2 center who was also a late birthday that had great stats the year before he was drafted with 78 points. No, he did not crack 100 points like Patrick did last season, but Monahan was not on a high-powered offensive juggernaut like Brandon either, with highly productive teammates like Ivan Provorov, Jayce Hawryluk and John Quenneville that scored a CHL-best 317 goals.

Much like Monahan, some concerns about Patrick’s effort away from the puck, skating speed and overall competitiveness all crept in as he was under more intense scrutiny in his draft year.

“We faced Patrick quite a few times this year,” said one eastern conference WHL head coach. “Nothing against the kid whatsoever, but what I saw this year and what our coaching staff saw last year are two different players. No question he’s a player, smart and everything else, but I’m not seeing what everybody talked about last year.

“I saw him play against Moose Jaw one night and he was downright lazy. When he has the puck he’s fine..but when he doesn’t…I’ve expected more. What I heard from last year was that this guy was going to be a handful this year…and he hasn’t been a handful with that hockey club.”

Monahan was able to overcome the competitiveness and skating concerns and has developed into a solid top-two NHL center, but there are no guarantees that Patrick can follow the same path, especially when issues about his character are also becoming more prevalent in the scouting community from several different sources.

“He’s not the greatest kid I don’t think,” said a scout of one team picking in the top ten. “I don’t know if he’s a great teammate either. That’s what I’ve heard. Maybe just a little bit about himself.”

Up until the world junior tournament there was little talk about Patrick dropping from his perch as the anointed number-one pick, but as Hischier kept producing in big moments, including in a head-to-head matchup against Patrick at the CHL Top Prospects Game, and as Patrick’s return from a hernia injury failed to wow scouts in the same fashion he impressed them last season, it soon became apparent that Patrick was no longer in a league of his own when it came to the draft.

“Our guys aren’t keen on him,” said the scout of another team slated to pick in the top ten. “I would be really surprised if we took Nolan Patrick. Unless it’s a no brainer. If we’re at 4 or 5…then you’ve gotta do it. “If (club management) hear a peep on a player we’re not taking him…and they’ve heard some things that concern them.”

During Sportsnet's 2017 Trade Deadline coverage, they had a segment about the 2017 NHL Draft. Sam Cosentino mentioned that some NHL executives he had spoken to were concerned about Patrick's "indifferent" play.

You can view the video here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

The Draft Analyst, The Hockey News, Corey Pronman, and Grant McCagg have all moved Patrick down their lists so far. We shall see if others drop him from the #1 position as June approaches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/5sxen8/request_corey_pronmans_top_50_prospect_for_the/

https://recrutes.ca/top-10-nhl-prospect-rankings/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/why-nolan-patrick-is-no-longer-the-no-1-draft-prospect

Last edited by a moderator:

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
Chalk this game up to the hockey gods, I guess. As someone on the Coyotes board said, they're bad at everything, including losing.

Canucks probably would've won this game, were it not for weird puck bounces that landed onto Coyote players sticks in scoring positions, all game long. Canucks outshot the Coyotes, outplayed them, outhustled them, and out and out lost to them, in spite of all that.

This was a weird, weird game.

How many times in his career has Luke Schenn potted a goal from behind the net on his backhand? Pretty odd place for a noted stay-at-home defence-man to be scoring goals from.

Edler had the highest Corsi +/- at 14, and yet was on the ice for the most egregious, fluky GA. Miller makes the save on a harmless shot from the point, trying to blocker the puck to the corner, but it bounces off the boards onto the other side of the net right onto Vrbata's stick for an open net goal.

And the Canucks then give up two PP goals, one of which was fairly incredible, the Burmistrov goal. The Vrbata goal was simply effort on his part.

The Sedins were the Canucks' worst players at even strength, and yet were nearly even in Corsi +/- (-2 and -3), and had no goals against. They had an even strength goal, and a great scoring chance (both in the first period), but otherwise were played fairly tightly by the Coyotes. Goldobin did seem to be out of energy near the end of the first period, which probably helps explain why that line disappeared for the final two periods.

That Goldobin, he might be a pretty good complimentary piece for the team, moving ahead. As he recovers from that tough illness he just had, he should begin recovering his stamina. Hopefully, he improves upon it over the off-season, too. He has a lot of skill, and seems to know how to get open shots.

Horvat's line did everything but score.

Bad luck for Miller, tonight.

A loss is good for the Canucks tank, though. They are firmly in possession of second-last place.

Two more games to go. And then this season is mercifully done for the Canucks.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Recently, Grant McCagg remarked that numerous issues regarding Nolan Patrick, including his injury history, level of effort, on-ice performances, and character issues were causing him to fall out of favor with various NHL scouts. Today, he released an article expanding on those remarks with quotations.

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/
During Sportsnet's 2017 Trade Deadline coverage, they had a segment about the 2017 NHL Draft. Sam Cosentino mentioned that some NHL executives he had spoken to were concerned about Patrick's "indifferent" play.

You can view the video here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

The Draft Analyst, The Hockey News, Corey Pronman, and Grant McCagg have all moved Patrick down their lists so far. We shall see if others drop him from the #1 position as June approaches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/5sxen8/request_corey_pronmans_top_50_prospect_for_the/

https://recrutes.ca/top-10-nhl-prospect-rankings/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/why-nolan-patrick-is-no-longer-the-no-1-draft-prospect

WOw thanks for sharing all this i had no idea cause i had Patrick 1st overall no questions asked for a LONG time. Now not so sure. Then herd some people critical of Hershier the last couple a months and that Vilardi fell asleep in the last few playoffs games. Wtf what a bad year to tank :(

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
WOw thanks for sharing all this i had no idea cause i had Patrick 1st overall no questions asked for a LONG time. Now not so sure. Then herd some people critical of Hershier the last couple a months and that Vilardi fell asleep in the last few playoffs games. Wtf what a bad year to tank :(

I still have Patrick 1st overall, followed by Hischier and Makar. Patrick has had a tough year with injuries, but as long as doctors believe it won't affect him going forward I would have zero problems taking him at 1.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I still have Patrick 1st overall, followed by Hischier and Makar. Patrick has had a tough year with injuries, but as long as doctors believe it won't affect him going forward I would have zero problems taking him at 1.

Don't you two start now.

Anyway, Boeser has been definitely a breath of fresh air. I feel like I'm tuning into the whole game now with him playing.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Don't you two start now.

Anyway, Boeser has been definitely a breath of fresh air. I feel like I'm tuning into the whole game now with him playing.

He definitely helps. And I'm hoping people can finally see the difference between the kind of "youth" that the pro-rebuild crowd has been saying we need to rebuild with (Boeser) vs the kind of "youth" Benning/Linden have been trotting out and claiming "the team is full of youth" (Granlund, Baertschi, Vey, etc).

Boeser looks like a legit top 6 winger on a *good* team.

The rest look like the kind of players you'd find in the top 6 of on a 29th place team.

More Boesers and more Horvat's will further the rebuild and help re-capture fan interest/imagination.

More 21-23 year old AHL tweeners will not.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
All three weren't that bad NHLers (Tallon could've been alot more had the Canucks screwed his development by shifting him back & forth between D & F).

Should have taken Sittler.

Anyway, glad to see we're finally sinking to the bottom.

Buffalo.gif

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Goldobin is starting to come around nicely, excited to see him when he starts playing some meaningful games next season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Goldobin is starting to come around nicely, excited to see him when he starts playing some meaningful games next season.

Meh. I find it best to never put stock into how a player or team plays during garbage time. That goes for everyone whether they are playing well or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad