Salary Cap: Subban's next contract

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I can see it being 8 years with a salary that increases from 6.5 to 9.5 over the course of the contract. for a cap hit of around 7.8-8.2

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I won't hate him if he does. He's a super star with 5 star character and personality.

He deserves to be the face of a franchise, a celebrity in his own right.

If he can't have it in Montreal he would be an idiot to not want it in the U.S.

He is a dream for any u.s franchise.

I agree that he would be an idiot not to want it somewhere else, but he'll get it here, i'm not even worried. We're far from being a poor team, so money shouldn't be a problem (i'm not talking salary cap wise, i'm talking team profit wise). As for the salary cap we'll deal with it later. if other teams can deal with it, so can we

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hope he'll sign PK for 6M a year. I really want to see a "Is Bergevin the new Ken Holland/Lou Lamoriello?" thread filled with hypocrites

Bergevin has done his share of mistakes, and it's still very early under his reign, so I hope he improves.
The amount doesn't really bother me, length is more the issue. If PK agrees to an 8y at 6M, he'll be doing us a huge favor.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Bergevin has done his share of mistakes, and it's still very early under his reign, so I hope he improves.
The amount doesn't really bother me, length is more the issue. If PK agrees to an 8y at 6M, he'll be doing us a huge favor.

I hate 8y contract, but I don't see Subban signing for anything less so that's that

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I feel that Price got 6.5M before he even proved anything. PK is a proven Norris winner who might potentially repeat. Even at 7M he'd be doing us a favor.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'll say this: I am fine with the bridge contract mostly because it allows the opportunity to eat 2 extra year of ufa. The only way subban's new contract can disappoint me is if it's less than 8 years. I couldn't care less about the money since no matter what, he'll be worth it

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't normally engage in conspiracy theories but are MT and MB avoiding saying anything nice about PK to lower his contractual expectations?

His play is substantially worse in the last few games. He's not carrying the puck or taking as many chances. I think it started after that game where he took a chance when we were up 3-1 and Eller missed the puck and then it cost us a goal. He hasn't been the same since imo.

I see three possibilities:

- He's in MT's doghouse
- He's injured
- He's pissed

There's definitely something wrong with him. He stepped down to Karlsson's level. :sarcasm:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm skeptical about what management will offer him. I don't believe they see an 8 million per year value in this player. We'll see, but I'm a bit concerned here, hopefully it's unwarranted.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I'm skeptical about what management will offer him. I don't believe they see an 8 million per year value in this player. We'll see, but I'm a bit concerned here, hopefully it's unwarranted.

Same here. We have yet to hear even a little bit of praise from MT/MB.

And now Markov is getting more ice time than Subban? Last 5 games: Markov averages 26min. and Subban is just a little over 24min. :help:

The only guy who said something positive about Subban is Molson himself, saying that he's ready to give a lot of money to a star player like him (or something like that).

7.6M for 8 years would be great! Crosby style, I like!

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Can we convince him of switching his number to 1 because he's our best player, and then quickly make him sign for his jersey number before he remembers he just changed :sarcasm:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't normally engage in conspiracy theories but are MT and MB avoiding saying anything nice about PK to lower his contractual expectations?

His play is substantially worse in the last few games. He's not carrying the puck or taking as many chances. I think it started after that game where he took a chance when we were up 3-1 and Eller missed the puck and then it cost us a goal. He hasn't been the same since imo.

I see three possibilities:

- He's in MT's doghouse
- He's injured
- He's pissed

There's definitely something wrong with him. He stepped down to Karlsson's level. :sarcasm:

how about a 4th : he's in a slump ?

happens to every player you know...

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
If he gives a hometown discount or decides he doesn't want too play hardball too much, I'd expect between 6.5 to 7 millions. 7.5 millions per year would probably be considered a nice deal by all sides. But, if he's intent on getting paid, it could go up to 8 millions, I guess.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
If he gives a hometown discount or decides he doesn't want too play hardball to much, I'd expect between 6.5 to 7 millions. 7.5 millions per year would probably be considered a nice deal by all sides. But, if he's intent on getting paid, it could go up to 8 millions, I guess.

I think he already gave the 'home town' discount in the last contract.

Like everyone else in the world, I am sure he's intent on getting paid. He deserves it, after all.

King Niinimaa*

8,25 x 8 years. If he wins anothers Norris then 8,5-8,55. Cap is rising and Meehan is an *******.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
8+ for a defenceman.... something between 7 and 7.5 should be enough... if he "likes" it in montreal, he could always give a little "discount"... something similar to what the Sedins did... Wish we could sign someone for 15 years and just sign him at 5.5 mills.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
8+ for a defenceman.... something between 7 and 7.5 should be enough... if he "likes" it in montreal, he could always give a little "discount"... something similar to what the Sedins did... Wish we could sign someone for 15 years and just sign him at 5.5 mills.

We paid the Norris winner 1 million dollars last year...

You want him to play for free or what? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->