Salary Cap: Subban's next contract

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Guys, there may have been other threads like this in the past, but I am curious what the general consensus is for Subban's next contract. He is one of the top Dman in the league, and deserves to get paid like one. 7mx8 years? Or more?

Thoughts?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Bergevin better break the bank for him. It wouldn't be the time for penny pinching.

PricePkPatch*

That or he signs a one year arbitration deal then hums and haws the season after next forcing the team to trade him.

We'd get the juiciest of return. But why the hell would he want that?

AFAIK, he wants to play here. He's happy here. He knows coaches and GMs come and go.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
7.5 to 8 sounds about right, he's the first elite defenseman to hit arbitration eligibility and that seems to be the going rate for early to mid 20's elite players right now. I mean if he went to arbitration he could prolly use Weber as a comparison who has a cap hit of 7.85 and that is with the circumvention years tacked on at the end.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
100 million $ contract.

8,333,333.33 over 12 years

I think you can only sign a max 8 year deal now. I'd go with 8X8 but it would be nice if he could save the team a few hundred K and go 8 years at 7 or 7.5, either way he deserves bank, especially for accepting the bridge deal.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I think you can only sign a max 8 year deal now. I'd go with 8X8 but it would be nice if he could save the team a few hundred K and go 8 years at 7 or 7.5, either way he deserves bank, especially for accepting the bridge deal.

ah.

If we lose him I will never attend a game or purchase habs merchandise again.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
ah.

If we lose him I will never attend a game or purchase habs merchandise again.

There's no way we will lose him. I am on Bergevin's side with wanting PK to go the bridge contract route, PK did his part and now it's up to Bergie to do his. If he messes this up I will lose all faith in him as a gm. I am not worried at all though as I am sure they ink a deal before PK hits RFA status.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Hate him if he does, don't hate him based on presumption

I won't hate him if he does. He's a super star with 5 star character and personality.

He deserves to be the face of a franchise, a celebrity in his own right.

If he can't have it in Montreal he would be an idiot to not want it in the U.S.

He is a dream for any u.s franchise.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
It's hard to use deals like Weber's and Doughty's since they were signed under the old CBA. Weber's deal has 1 year at $3 million and then 3 years at $1 million tacked onto the end, which helps bring the cap hit down to about $7.85 million. Without those years his cap-hit would be about $10.4 million.

Since you can't do that anymore, expect PK's cap hit to be at least $8 million a year.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
show-me-the-money-2-o.gif

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Guys, there may have been other threads like this in the past

that's an understatement

but I am curious

go on...

what the general consensus is for Subban's next contract

can of worms

He is one of the top Dman in the league

hell yeah

and deserves to get paid like one.

yes. a man of his stature deserves more swag

7mx8 years?

sounds about right

if you're saying more years, cba says no dice. money? sure it's possible

Thoughts?

glad you asked: a lot of it depends if he gets another norris. if he does, he'll be the first to repeat since the cyborg swede and the field for young high quality d-men has never been this packed in years. let that sink in for a minute...

if that happens, on one hand, hell yeah, 2 norris *****es. on the other, he could ask for, and receive 8-8.5. ****, maybe even more...

realistically, i think he'll get karlsson money or maybe 2-3 hundred grand more but that's about it

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd expect it to be between 6-8 years at between $6.5-$8 MM.

Is that vague enough...? Some where in the middle but closer to the higher end. Doubt we see 8x8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad