Subban Questions

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Habs/Blues fan coming in peace.

I have a few questions surrounding Subban.

1. How do the fans of Nashville feel about his production this year?
2. Has there been any rumors about his behavior in the locker room?
3. Whats with all the rumors about him being on the block? I feel like he's been a solid fit with you guys.
4. What do you think the future holds for him after his contract expires? will he still be with you guys at that point? will he have been traded? re-sign? test free agency? (It's understood that it's a long time from now, just curious as to what your fanbase's take is on him)

Before I go, congrats on this season, even though the outcome might have fell short. I was rooting for you guys in the playoffs. I envy the way your team is ran.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
1. Fine
2. No
3. It's a bunch of made up bunk out of Montreal that all of the media and insiders have rolled around long enough that it has laundered itself and become " true ". I'm sure Poile is listening but I doubt shopping. He does that with every player though.

4. He won't be around before his contract expires I dont think.

Reactions: Peanut and Aerrol

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1. Fine
2. No
3. It's a bunch of made up bunk out of Montreal that all of the media and insiders have rolled around long enough that it has laundered itself and become " true ". I'm sure Poile is listening but I doubt shopping. He does that with every player though.

4. He won't be around before his contract expires I dont think.
This, except I think he's staying long-term.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
1. Production--fine. He annoyed me some with his little curlicues instead of just moving the puck--reminded me of Erat. He makes some high risk plays. If they work great. If they don't, scowl.
2. No problems that I saw. He interacted with other players a lot as a teammate and in the community. He's showier than most hockey players but it's cool. We're used to all sorts of personalities here. He's the guy on stage with the sequins and eelskin boots instead of the flannel shirt and cowboy hat.
3. Poile will listen to any offer and if he thinks it will benefit the team he'll do it. We have 4 exceptional defensemen and another one in the pipeline that is expected to be. Poile's thinking win the Cup, salary cap, contract schedules, upcoming salary cap--all those things. Maybe if the right deal comes along one gets traded--maybe it's PK. But do I think there is any real fire behind the current smoke? Not currently. PK is just a well known entity and he brings the hits to blogs and sports news sites at a time when things are kinda dull.
4. I doubt he will still be here when his contract expires but I expect he'll be here at least 2 more years, maybe 3.

Reactions: Peanut

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

There were peaks and valleys. Of course it's also complicated by the team having other options on the point on the PP and Ellis produced well too when he came back. But I just don't think production is really the key for Subban. He can be a key in all 3 zones, and if he's a bit off on offense sometimes he's still a force defensively. If they do move Ellis at some point in the next year or two, it would be interesting to see what Subban might do carrying the full load.
No.
3. Whats with all the rumors about him being on the block? I feel like he's been a solid fit with you guys.
It has been pretty well documented that those "rumors" were just recycling something out of Montreal 2 years ago and have nothing to do with the present tense situation in Nashville.
4. What do you think the future holds for him after his contract expires? will he still be with you guys at that point? will he have been traded? re-sign? test free agency? (It's understood that it's a long time from now, just curious as to what your fanbase's take is on him)
Yeah, I don't think it's easy to predict for any player in the league with that many years left on his deal. Subban seems like a guy who has a lot of interests, maybe he'll want to try something new after 4 more years, who knows. He's too old to be a guy you look at and say you definitely expect to see him around for life, he's not Crosby or McDavid. He's a fun player who brings a ton to the team now, and if that continues of course I'd love to see him re-signed.

Reactions: Peanut and Aerrol

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hah.

I don't see PK being moved, but never say never with our GM.
I also don't see PK being *that* desirable for other teams to obtain. A lot of ultra-conservative GM types out there, and for all that he's a very good player, his salary is definitely a premium. I think he's more a name for fans and pundits to bandy around, but I wouldn't expect he'd draw near as much interest on the market from opposing GMs. He's really really good and seems to be a great fit here... but he's not so good that he should make an attractive trade target for other teams, not at $9M anyway. Bottom line is people just like to talk about PK, he draws a crowd, for better or worse. But he's a very unlikely candidate to be moved, I'd think.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I also don't see PK being *that* desirable for other teams to obtain. A lot of ultra-conservative GM types out there, and for all that he's a very good player, his salary is definitely a premium. I think he's more a name for fans and pundits to bandy around, but I wouldn't expect he'd draw near as much interest on the market from opposing GMs. He's really really good and seems to be a great fit here... but he's not so good that he should make an attractive trade target for other teams, not at $9M anyway. Bottom line is people just like to talk about PK, he draws a crowd, for better or worse. But he's a very unlikely candidate to be moved, I'd think.

I don't have an issue with the $9m/yr, especially when compared to other star d men. I'd much prefer a Subban @$9m over a Weber at $8m that's for sure.

Granted, I do understand you're basically arguing attractiveness to other teams and not necessarily value to his current situation.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't have an issue with the $9m/yr, especially when compared to other star d men. I'd much prefer a Subban @$9m over a Weber at $8m that's for sure.

Granted, I do understand you're basically arguing attractiveness to other teams and not necessarily value to his current situation.
Yeah, I'm totally ok with him here at $9M too. But it works especially well for us the way the rest of our D is priced atm.

And then too, once Karlsson and Doughty sign for $10M and the rest of the league gets dragged up another notch, the $9M also will seem a little less extravagant.

It just "feels" to me like the more entrenched hockey types aren't entirely enamoured with PK's personality, and while they might take that given he's a good hockey player, when it comes with a premium salary too in these cap-conscious days... anyway, it perhaps just narrows the field of potential destinations more significantly. The Habs found a taker for PK, but they didn't exactly score a "win" in moving him... they consciously chose a slightly inferior, slightly cheaper, but more "traditional" character player in Weber. After looking long and hard. It is just my hunch and nothing more, but I think the Preds might have to be consciously wanting to move PK and consciously willing to take a little bit of a trim on the return for something to happen. And I don't see either of those criteria being met.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
1) probably gonna bring a Norris to Nashville, which given the history of D man development we are all so proud of, surprises me doesn't come up in these conversations.
2) Only seeing evidence of the exact opposite actually. Players seem to enjoy traveling together and going to non-hockey events.
3) Poile wont hang up on anybody, but he isn't shopping anybody. Players asked him not to change the roster.
4) He finishes his contract here, assuming adequate production at that point. Doubt he resigns though. Probably goes to TOR to wrap up the playing part of his career.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Wonderful. An almost 60 pt defenseman, wonderful!

Mostly from OUTSIDE the locker room.

So do I but it's the summer and everyone loses a trade. He's also the oldest D-man on the Preds. His contract is huge.

It could be interesting. I don't see him playing his last year in Nashville.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We should trade for Malcolm to be a backup to Saros in a few seasons!

Isn't there a third Subban who plays?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The third Subban is a dman I think.
He is a small dman, like an Ellis, but things aren't looking too good for him atm. I don't know if LA will even qualify him? Either he'll be let loose as UFA or he'll be on waivers in September either way. Seems to have had a writeoff season in the minors last year, after initially starting off with more promise. Optics are not good at all at him making the NHL atm... 5'9" dman with 52-4-9-13-66 stats line in his 3rd AHL season... could pick him up for the Ads at best I suppose...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He is a small dman, like an Ellis, but things aren't looking too good for him atm. I don't know if LA will even qualify him? Either he'll be let loose as UFA or he'll be on waivers in September either way. Seems to have had a writeoff season in the minors last year, after initially starting off with more promise. Optics are not good at all at him making the NHL atm... 5'9" dman with 52-4-9-13-66 stats line in his 3rd AHL season... could pick him up for the Ads at best I suppose...

He must play for an Eastern team because I have never seen him in person. Thanks, but we don't need an Ellis type player, we need Ellis!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He must play for an Eastern team because I have never seen him in person. Thanks, but we don't need an Ellis type player, we need Ellis!
He was drafted by Vancouver and played his first two years for Utica (and seemed to do quite well) but they seem to have given up on him last year and dumped him off to LA = Ontario to finish off his ELC. No idea on him beyond the stats lookup:

Jordan Subban hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would Ads fans take him over Ramage?
How does the D project next year for the Ads?

Carrier - Allard - Dougherty - Lyytinen - Pyrochta as "prospects"

Is Oligny likely to return on an AHL deal?

Maybe visits from Bitetto if the Preds sign a new #5 D on the UFA market?

I think they should maybe look at signing one more higher profile veteran D for the Ads - like an Alex Grant, Zach Trotman type, or half the Texas Stars D playing Game 7 tonight are going to be UFAs. Somebody who can be a top-pairing leader and play all situations for the Ads, somebody that good at the AHL level. Subban after last season isn't that guy, and I don't know that Ramage is either.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Before I go, congrats on this season, even though the outcome might have fell short. I was rooting for you guys in the playoffs. I envy the way your team is ran.

1) Very good defensively. Was headed for a career year offensively until Ellis came back and the coaches gave Ellis more power play time in an effort to get him going quickly. The playoffs showed (as usual) Subban's true value when Ellis and Josi were brutal and Subban had to try to carry the team on his back. That's the only knock I have against him: he sometimes tries to do *too much* by himself, but I can understand why when he looks around and sees Rinne and the second defensive pair choking away another likely Stanley Cup.

2) No. Therrien, Bergevin and Pacioretty were the problem in Montreal - not Subban.

3) "Fake news" made up by scumbags to create clickbait articles. Last month a "new" rumour was literally being invented *every week* as soon as the previous one was exposed as being bogus. Too bad there's no accountability these days. Lies and innuendo sell.

4) Impossible to say. Predators' GM is one of the few in the league not afraid to make BIG moves and trade value for value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad