Subban head contact on MacKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Worth mentioning gain, these threads are getting out of hand.

Maybe a 2 minute for roughing at most. Not close to being suspendable. Subban's a punk though. That top line should dump the puck in his corner and return a couple favors on him if they get an opportunity.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You do know that Montreal fans actually did call 911 for Chara hitting Pacioretty in the back right?

Yes, I'm aware that some people called the cops after Chara drove Pacioretty's head into the stanchion which caused the NHL to alter every rink in the National Hockey League so that such an instance never happens again.

Such a play also resulted in a concussion and a broken neck.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
That’s a two minute penalty, but not a suspension. I’d be annoyed if there was further diciplinary action, and I’m an Avalanche fan.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
He hits him with the forearm, people.

In the shoulder.

Or do you punch without extending your arm?

Yeah it looks like his arm rides up MacKinnons back into his head. Maybe worth a 2 min penalty but a lot worse has happened these playoffs. No suspension for sure

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Was Subban holding him in a leg lock? Because, you know - everything is one sided here. Perhaps Sid should have just let his ankle get twisted.

Thornton also gave Sid a hook in the finals two years ago... nothing called there either.

That was a blatant punch to the back of the head by Subban and stupid play. Unless the series has gotten to TO/BOS, VGK/LA level of nonsense - it should just be a penalty and hold off on the suspension talk.
Let’s not forget about Chara drilling Sid in the jaw while he was tied up from behind by Bergeron...

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
It was a shot to the back of the neck/head. If MacKinnon isn't built like a bull it could've been worse.

I doubt Subban gets anything, but a fine would be adequate imo.
It was a shot to the upper back. It wasn't even a big blow. Some of you are like babies. Pretty soon, Hockey will be played with tutus and figure skates.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It's weird, I'm not seeing Subban control the puck up the ice like he usually does :

Careful subbie, you might end up leaving game #4 on a stretcher.

Tanembaria

Apr 8, 2016
How is this not a suspendable play? Botched hits can cost several games, but this seems like a pretty blatant attempt to injure. Even if that elbow/fist wasn't a direct headshot, that windup is pretty damning.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Fine at most. I would love to see him get more....I am a homer like that. But he wont. Heck, even the fine would kinda surprise me. But I do want to see the Avs start returning the favors at some point. Mainly on PK himself, but I aint choosy. Landy throwing a forearm stunner to Arvisdsson. Or Zadorov flattening Forsberg. Would NSH fans be OK with that?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think it’s a particularly vicious play, but I don’t think it’s a hockey play either. It’s reasonable to call that roughing. But instead of the Avs going to 5 on 3 there, the refs gave both Subban and MacKinnon penalties for holding. I think that’s crap.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Yeah this looked like a forearm shiver to his upper back/shoulder area, maybe slightly grazed his face with the glove on the follow through. Roughing penalty at most. I don't have a horse in this race. I like both teams and both players, this is the playoffs, shit gets chippy.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
My opinion,

That was just a forearm to Mackinnon's upper body that ended with his arm up by his head. Should have been a penalty for roughing, but supplementary discipline would be ridiculous for this.

There seems to be a lot of people that don't like Subban in this thread, which is apparently making this a bigger deal than it should be, showing that he is good at what he does.

That being said, Subban has been throwing 'hits' with a wind up from his arm being the brunt of the force his entire career. I don't remember seeing anyone else in the league hit like this as often as he does, it might be effective but I don't consider it a good hockey hit. I'm not a fan of it and wish he would stick to actual hockey hits, but I doubt he will stop unless the league calls him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->