TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
lol Letang with a mistake similar to Subban's tonight
(and that led to a goal too)

I dunno, from where I stand Letang just looked on another level of bad. If Mike Babcock sees that, he'll tell management to keep him away from Team Canada in an instant. That's the kind of boneheadedness that Subban used to do in his first and early second season, at this stage Letang should know better.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
lol Letang with a mistake similar to Subban's tonight
(and that led to a goal too)

You mean the hard forecheck by drew stafford? (an absolute fitness freak)

so a forward, charging in on a defenseman, successfuly knocking him down and making a great play, ..this is all a MISTAKE by subban? is what you're telling me

PricePkPatch*

You mean the hard forecheck by drew stafford? (an absolute fitness freak)

so a forward, charging in on a defenseman, successfuly knocking him down and making a great play, ..this is all a MISTAKE by subban? is what you're telling me

Subban should have seen Gorges and made the pass to him behind the net, instead of holding on the puck.

That's the mistake. It's relatively minor. It's not a blown coverage, or any critically-bad mistake. Just a minor thing, but it happened to have led to a goal because our centre wasn't there to cover the slot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Subban should have seen Gorges and made the pass to him behind the net, instead of holding on the puck.

That's the mistake. It's relatively minor. It's not a blown coverage, or any critically-bad mistake. Just a minor thing, but it happened to have led to a goal because our centre wasn't there to cover the slot.

Or...referees should have called a penalty for clear checking from behind. If PK was closer to the boards, this would have been a classic boarding call. He wasn't, so they didn't call anything, but it was still a check from behind and unless the rules have changed, it's still illegal.

It wasn't a mistake, and PK does this move where he lets the opponent chase him, goes behind his net, cuts in front of it and loses him, about a million times per game.

PricePkPatch*

Or...referees should have called a penalty for clear checking from behind. If PK was closer to the boards, this would have been a classic boarding call. He wasn't, so they didn't call anything, but it was still a check from behind and unless the rules have changed, it's still illegal.

It wasn't a mistake, and PK does this move where he lets the opponent chase him, goes behind his net, cuts in front of it and loses him, about a million times per game.

It was a check from 4-o'clock (in the clock-directional scale). In angle, is that covered in the rules?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

"Montreal pretty obviously has 2 offensive guys (Subban and Markov) and 2 defensive guys (Gorges and Diaz). This is news to absolutely nobody, but having the 4 of them rank in the top 10 in these two categories makes it look like good planning."

I see your proof that Subban isn't that high a risk, and I raise you the fact that people continue to criticize Diaz's effectiveness, too.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Therrien: "The way he's playing right now, Subban is making a case for the Olympics. We want him to go there."

Per Marc-Antoine Godin on Twitter

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I see your proof that Subban isn't that high a risk, and I raise you the fact that people continue to criticize Diaz's effectiveness, too.
Diaz's inclusion really has me stumped. I think he's okay and probably takes too much abuse but I wouldn't expect him to be on that list.

PricePkPatch*

Therrien: "The way he's playing right now, Subban is making a case for the Olympics. We want him to go there."

Impossible. That's a lie.

After all, Therrien hates Subban. Isn't trying to get him to play the best hockey of his life.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't think people have doubts of Diaz's effectiveness, I think they're just disappointed that he's not that offensive Dman they thought he'd be.
To me he's a good #4, perfect #5 guy. But I don't like the Diaz-Gorges pairing, and since Emelin's return, he's been pushed down to the 3rd pairing and I believe it's perfect, he will easily shutdown his opponents there.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

Thanks for shutting up all the Therrien haters for a couple of weeks. Not that I'm a lover, I'm neutral with him, but this helps.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's a joke if Letang is ahead of Subban :laugh: I am a Leaf fan and I dread the thought of Letang being out there on the ice in a knockout game.

If you watched last night's game, you will know just how terrible Letang is defensively. He was outmuscled by Phil Kessel numerous times...I love Kessel but when he outmuscles you for a puck a lot of times, you know you're terrible in your zone.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a joke if Letang is ahead of Subban :laugh: I am a Leaf fan and I dread the thought of Letang being out there on the ice in a knockout game.

If you watched last night's game, you will know just how terrible Letang is defensively. He was outmuscled by Phil Kessel numerous times...I love Kessel but when he outmuscles you for a puck a lot of times, you know you're terrible in your zone.

Letang came to be surrounded by some amazing talent which allowed him to look better than he really is.
He is atrocious defensively.

Subban on the other hand is a someone you want to go to war with. He has all of the tools and his defensive play while not perfect, is actually pretty good.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Good to hear that from quote from Therrien.

As for Diaz, I will keep repeating myself: he is an NHL player, no doubt about it. Maybe not the greatest top 4 guy ever, but he can step into the roll and is a stud number 5, something many teams do not have.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011

He didn't have time to make the play, as soon as PK touched the puck he was hit. Usually he doesn't go down and lose the puck but he did yesterday just bad luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad