TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Is Subban the best defensive defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the best offensive defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the most physical defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the best skating defenseman? NO.

Is Subban the best defensive, offensive, physical, skating defenseman in the league? YES!

YES.............you nailed it

NOW if everyone would shut up and start watching hockey games...other than the beloved Habs they would see that Subban will be in the Olympics.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually, most of the times, the best defensive pair is assigned the top line.

In the first period, Gorges and Emelin were assigned to the Crosby line and they had problems.
In the second period, Markov and Subban took care of that line and the momentum of the game changed.

true, never said otherwise... but the first pair D is not shadowing opponents, forwards are... Markov and Subban were not the guys following Crosby everywhere on the ice, Plekanec was.

Not saying PK played badly or anything, but THE guy who deserve most of the credit for shutting down Crosby is Plekanec.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hell, I remember when PK shut down Crosby in the '10 playoffs with barely 10 (if that) games of NHL experience under his belt.

I knew then and there he was going to be one of the best players in the league and no one could shake me of that notion.

I don't watch enough other teams to really say but I can't think of any D men that are at such a high level on both sides of the ice like PK.

Karlsson does seem to have improved on the D side of things. I noticed when we played the Sens this year that he made some very nice defensive plays. I'd still take PK over him though.

If he doesn't make Team Canada then that would just be disgusting. I read an article on nhl.com about who's in the running and it actually had enough of a sense of humour to suggest that Phaneuf would be ahead of PK for a spot in Sochi. That was a good one.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
You know what I liked the most about Subban's performance on saturday?

While not many defenseman can shadow Crosby all game and shut him down, I think it's exceptional that a defenseman can shutdown Crosby AND STILL GET A POINT.

There are plenty of supreme shutdown Ds, how many of these shutdown Ds can generate offense?!

But Subban can't play defense! :shakehead:help:

:sarcasm:

What drives me nuts is that I fear Subban will not be looked at for what he can bring to the team, but be put under a microscope to dissect his mistakes.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Just read an article on a Leafs blog (Pension Plan Puppets) about the top defensemen in the league based on Corsi for and Corsi against.

According to the article, Subban has been the 2nd best DMAN in the league over the past 6 years behind only Chara.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have gone through the 7 (is it seven?) stages of grief over Subban possibly not making the Olympic team....

It ends with indifference to the Canadian Team.

I will still watch if PK is not invited, but my level of "care" will be greatly reduced.

In fact, even if he makes the team, the fact that he seemed to be on the bubble makes me care a little less about team Canada.

PricePkPatch*

Just read an article on a Leafs blog (Pension Plan Puppets) about the top defensemen in the league based on Corsi for and Corsi against.

According to the article, Subban has been the 2nd best DMAN in the league over the past 6 years behind only Chara.

The article in question

Man, I wasn't expecting that. I don't think I've ever seen a Leafs analyst pump Subban's tires that much. Hell, even some of our own analysts aren't that positive about him.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

:yo: That's what happens when you got the whole package like him. I mean, name me one thing he can't do.... this guy has no weaknesses.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hell, I remember when PK shut down Crosby in the '10 playoffs with barely 10 (if that) games of NHL experience under his belt.

I knew then and there he was going to be one of the best players in the league and no one could shake me of that notion.

I don't watch enough other teams to really say but I can't think of any D men that are at such a high level on both sides of the ice like PK.

Karlsson does seem to have improved on the D side of things. I noticed when we played the Sens this year that he made some very nice defensive plays. I'd still take PK over him though.

If he doesn't make Team Canada then that would just be disgusting. I read an article on nhl.com about who's in the running and it actually had enough of a sense of humour to suggest that Phaneuf would be ahead of PK for a spot in Sochi. That was a good one.

PK IMO is the best Canadian defenseman along with Peterangelo. What he did in 2010 I still remember with what? 2 games of NHL experience, he gets thrown into the fire and did a great job.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Its evident to me, hockey canada wants PK subban on the team, but you'll never hear them say it,
and some of the media and several others DONT want PK subban on the team, and they ONLY can talk about it, because they have no SAY in it.

Subban will be on the team, its funny to think otherwise

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Its evident to me, hockey canada wants PK subban on the team, but you'll never hear them say it,
and some of the media and several others DONT want PK subban on the team, and they ONLY can talk about it, because they have no SAY in it.

Subban will be on the team, its funny to think otherwise

but he's..... a risk :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Phil Esposito brought up the topic of Subban not being on Team Canada today on his show and said he thought it was crazy. "Makes absolutely no sense to me." Last night both Kouleas and Mike Johnson both also said it was nuts not to have him on the team...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well, I think the title is kind of outdated now. No way Subban is behind them at the moment.

Letang is -6 on the Pens and Boyle is = on the Sharks. Both teams are largely in the + in terms of goal differential and their forwards provide a lot of offense.

On these teams, an average to sub-average dman could simply concentrate on his defensive game and he would easily be in the +.

The 'risky' argument should be applied to a guy like Letang, not Subban. :shakehead

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Well, I think the title is kind of outdated now. No way Subban is behind them at the moment.

Letang is -6 on the Pens and Boyle is = on the Sharks. Both teams are largely in the + in terms of goal differential and their forwards provide a lot of offense.

On these teams, an average to sub-average dman could simply concentrate on his defensive game and he would easily be in the +.

The 'risky' argument should be applied to a guy like Letang, not Subban. :shakehead

Agreed. Subban will make risky plays, but Letang is risky because of his low hockey IQ. One player can adjust, the other can not, and it is a shame because Letang is a great talent otherwise.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agreed. Subban will make risky plays, but Letang is risky because of his low hockey IQ. One player can adjust, the other can not, and it is a shame because Letang is a great talent otherwise.

Letang is the most overrated offensive D in the league. I think he is now a -10

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Should I post this on the main board? Imagine the cluster**** it's gonna create :laugh:

It's been posted throughout various threads. So nah. It will get locked up pretty quick and make us look like we want attention.

I bookmarked it in case I need it as ammo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->