TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sorry, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but anyone who says Shea Weber is better than PK Subban, simply isn't watching the game at all.

Weber has his place on Team Canada due to his reputation, because on merit...HE should be the one on the bubble right now

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree that he is the best right now. But to suggest its undebatable, that he is hands down the best is wrong, which was my point.

I bet if you were to ask 20 non Habs fans, 10-15 of them wouldn't say he isn't the absolute best.

That's besides the point. Debatable or not, whatever, it's semantics. I don't think there's any Dmen out there that can excel like PK. His game is the most complete.
That's my opinion of course, if you want to argue that there's a debate to be made for others, then sure, okay, there will always be a debate among elite players.
Who's better, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin? That can change on a yearly basis.
Lemieux or Gretzky? Stevie Y or Sakic? Where does Forsberg rank?
There's always a case to be made so if you want to focus on that little word, go for it. I don't think you can argue any Canadian Dman has been better than PK thus far though, but if you think Doughty or Keith are, sure I can let that go.

But the point of the post wasn't to discuss this, it was regarding whether or not there were reasons to doubt PK making Team Canada. There wasn't any then, he was certainly not being outplayed by Letang or a concussed old veteran who's on the sidelines.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Is Subban the best defensive defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the best offensive defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the most physical defenseman? NO.
Is Subban the best skating defenseman? NO.

Is Subban the best defensive, offensive, physical, skating defenseman in the league? YES!

There are other defensemen that can do some of the things better than Subban (Chara is more physical and better defensively; Karlsson is a better skater and has the edge offensively); but you cannot name a single defenseman that does EVERYTHING better than Subban right now.

Subban is the best allround defenseman in the league right now. As Therrien starts to trust him more (as he seems to in the past couple of games playing him on the PK and last minute of games) Subban will run away with the Norris.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but anyone who says Shea Weber is better than PK Subban, simply isn't watching the game at all.

Weber has his place on Team Canada due to his reputation, because on merit...HE should be the one on the bubble right now

well, if you decide to go on merit, then TC going with guys that helped them win the last time they did makes more sense.

as long as said players are still great obviously.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
PK is now better than Doughty and has been since Doughty's Stanley-Cup winning playoff performance. Pietrangelo and Keith are the only Canadian defenseman who are at his level this season.

I just have to shake my head every time I see someone including Bouwmeester and Vlasic over a guy like Subban who has the ability to take over a game and dominate. He's never been judged on equal footing compared to his peers and I hope that changes when he makes Team Canada.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Anyone who can look you in the eye and mention Letang and Boyle in the same breath with Subban should be committed

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Surprised that no one has mentioned Mitch Melnick's TSN690 radio interview with Mike Babcock today (4:40 pm November 25).

A very very interesting interview with an excellent hockey mind.

When Melnick was prying for Babcock's opinion on Subban, Babcock abruptlty announced that Melnick had just '60 seconds left'.

It was a classic.

Mitch Melnick was excellent, of course.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Surprised that no one has mentioned Mitch Melnick's TSN690 radio interview with Mike Babcock today (4:40 pm November 25).

When Melnick was prying for Babcock's opinion on Subban, Babcock abruptlty announced that Melnick had just '60 seconds left'.

It was a classic.

So is that good news, bad news or no news? I mean if they're being tight lipped about everything then im not worried but something tells me theres still lingering pressure to not take PK for whatever reason. Ugh.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

It was a classic.

Mitch melnick and 'excellent' are generally not things I associate with eachother.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Shea Weber should be on team Canada no matter what kind of year he's having.

As for the +/- rating, can you name another member of the Preds right now? Rinne's hurt and the only other guy I can even think of is rookie Seth Jones. Nobody can score over there and they're without their star goalie.

Weber's one of those guys that makes it no matter what. He's just too good to leave off the roster.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Shea Weber should be on team Canada no matter what kind of year he's having.

As for the +/- rating, can you name another member of the Preds right now? Rinne's hurt and the only other guy I can even think of is rookie Seth Jones. Nobody can score over there and they're without their star goalie.

Weber's one of those guys that makes it no matter what. He's just too good to leave off the roster.

I agree with 417 that Weber is overrated. Not that he isn't very good, he is, but he's played with Suter for all his career in a defensive system.
Last year was his first one without Suter and he wasn't as solid.

I do agree though that he makes Team Canada no doubt.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
I agree with 417 that Weber is overrated. Not that he isn't very good, he is, but he's played with Suter for all his career in a defensive system.
Last year was his first one without Suter and he wasn't as solid.

I do agree though that he makes Team Canada no doubt.

Wasn't it supposed to be Suter that benefited from playing with Weber?

PricePkPatch*

You know what I liked the most about Subban's performance on saturday?

While not many defenseman can shadow Crosby all game and shut him down, I think it's exceptional that a defenseman can shutdown Crosby AND STILL GET A POINT.

There are plenty of supreme shutdown Ds, how many of these shutdown Ds can generate offense?!

PricePkPatch*

It was a classic.

Melnick interviewed him for a good 4 minutes on Subban before tho. It's not like Babcock shied away right off the bat.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Subban is the best defencemen in the world, this debate is laughable. How many PPG and elite defensive defensemen are i nthe NHL today? One. His name is Subban.

I actually find his possible exclusion from the team very disturbing. He should be on the first pairing.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I'd be very curious to see if Dreger and co. would put Karlsson on team Canada if he were Canadian. They probably say he's a lock for the first pair.

I'm astonished by the fact Subban managed to win a Norris despite the apparent lack of recognition he gets from most medias. Would he have the reputation of a Shea Weber, he'd probably be seen as Canada's best defenseman coming into the Olympics, or at least not far from it.

The Swede is of the right color of skin.

No doubt it plays a role. I'm stcking to my gun on this one.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You know what I liked the most about Subban's performance on saturday?

While not many defenseman can shadow Crosby all game and shut him down, I think it's exceptional that a defenseman can shutdown Crosby AND STILL GET A POINT.

There are plenty of supreme shutdown Ds, how many of these shutdown Ds can generate offense?!

D men do not shadow other teams forwards, it's the forwards job to do so...

while P.K. did a good job, he did not shadow anyone. In this particular case it was Plekanec (who by the way was praised by both Crosby and Bylsma in post game interviews)

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
D men do not shadow other teams forwards, it's the forwards job to do so...

while P.K. did a good job, he did not shadow anyone. In this particular case it was Plekanec (who by the way was praised by both Crosby and Bylsma in post game interviews)
Actually, most of the times, the best defensive pair is assigned the top line.

In the first period, Gorges and Emelin were assigned to the Crosby line and they had problems.
In the second period, Markov and Subban took care of that line and the momentum of the game changed.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
The Swede is of the right color of skin.

No doubt it plays a role. I'm stcking to my gun on this one.

Please give show me evidence or I will have no doubt that your ignorance is playing a role here.

I also urge you to not disagree with this post, since doing so would mean that you are a racist.

Sincerely, a black man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->