TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
DEFENSIVELY:

PK Subban >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Karlsson (Sweden)

PK Subban >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Letang (Canada)

If Letang makes Team Canada OVER PK Subban...I will ****ing flip out.

p.s.: PK Subban is perfect at shadowing Crosby. Ten on ten defensively against Crosby.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not reading into Therrien's words....it's hearing Therrien's words after his other words....and his other words....and his other words etc. Therrien's way of trying to keep PK humble is just plain dumb. Any sane coach would have a statement for the media and one in private. Pretty sure that we don't know what every coach are REALLY thinking as far as his players are all about. So it's either Therrien is NEVER hiding anything and just tell the press exactly how it is in private or either....it's much worst. Therrien has all the trouble to give credit to Subban but can do it for everybody else. It's beginning to be quite stupid and frankly, it's beginning to be a distraction. Everyboyd keeps wanting to know what Therrien is all about....Therrien has to defend himself....Subban has to respond....I mean, for some Subban is a distraction and yet, Therrien keeps adding fuel to it...How intelligent is that?
Thing is... Subban seems to be at his best when he's cocky. Some guys are just like that. Patrick Roy was like that too. Maybe its annoying for some in the dressing room but when they play like they do on the ice, who gives a ****.

It's like MT wants to take the teeth out of a great white so it will turn into a dolphin. It's a great white, just leave it as a great white and let it go kill the opposition for you. PK has swagger, just let him have it. One thing to get rid of a triple low five, a whole other thing to continually play him down in the press.
I think most people acknowledge that Subban deserves to be on Team Canada. The issue lies in the selection committee. We all know that they've made bad decisions in the past (Stamkos, Crosby) and they do tend to prefer veterans over young, skilled players.
Ironically, Yzerman being snubbed by Keenan (TWICE) was the worst.

And as I mentioned earlier, I hope Yzerman learns the lessons from 2006. Gretzky kept the old boys club for that run and we ran out of gas. Pick the best players, period.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well in that case it's a bad example, as previously stated. I don't get what you are going for here, to be honest.

I think most people acknowledge that Subban deserves to be on Team Canada. The issue lies in the selection committee. We all know that they've made bad decisions in the past (Stamkos, Crosby) and they do tend to prefer veterans over young, skilled players.

not at all (it wasnt my example by the way), a 2 goal lead when facing players such as Ovechkin, Malkin or Crosby is nothing...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Thing is... Subban seems to be at his best when he's cocky. Some guys are just like that. Patrick Roy was like that too. Maybe its annoying for some in the dressing room but when they play like they do on the ice, who gives a ****.

It's like MT wants to take the teeth out of a great white so it will turn into a dolphin. It's a great white, just leave it as a great white and let it go kill the opposition for you. PK has swagger, just let him have it. One thing to get rid of a triple low five, a whole other thing to continually play him down in the press.

And as I mentioned earlier, I hope Yzerman learns the lessons from 2006. Gretzky kept the old boys club for that run and we ran out of gas. Pick the best players, period.

fiction.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
It's Dreger. Same guy who said that Toronto wouldn't trade Reimer for Yakupov. He is so biased that he defecates maple leafs.

Everybody knows that Subban will be in the Canada's top-4.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
not at all (it wasnt my example by the way), a 2 goal lead when facing players such as Ovechkin, Malkin or Crosby is nothing...

Right, thanks for jumping into this conversation to try and find a similarity in the scenarios, but there's no way anyone should criticize a player like Subban for not entering a defensive shell when the team is up 2 goals in the 2nd period. It went from a one goal lead in the third to a two goal lead with 66% of the game left. Surely you can understand how that's a different scenario. You let the player play, like Bobby Orr said.

Anyways, if Subban creating a turnover in the second period with a 2 goal lead is the best example of him "going crazy", then yes it's nitpicking. PMD will have turnovers, it's par for the course.

Ideally he wouldn't have a single turnover ever, but that's not realistic and no one should expect him to shut off all his creativity when they're up 2 goals with the majority of the game left to play.

He's mentioned a few times he's going to pick the best players. We'll see in about a month if he's going to stick to that or not. If yes, PK should be one of the first players announced as a lock.

On a somewhat related note, apparently Galchenyuk is still very much in the mix for team USA. They, unlike Canada, have no problems taking highly skilled young players, and Galchenyuk is potentially one of the most talented players that hails from the USA.

Here's the link:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...sma-galchenyuk-est-un-gars-quon-surveille.php

Last edited:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
It's Dreger. Same guy who said that Toronto wouldn't trade Reimer for Yakupov. He is so biased that he defecates maple leafs.

I disagree, what Dreger reported 3 weeks ago was likely a lot more truer than today. Back then, reality was PK wasn't clear cut ahead of Letang and Boyle but now he is imo.

Letang and Boyle aren't in the top 30 for scoring, they aren't in the top 30 for plus minus. The only thing keeping them in the mix at this point is largely reputation.

PK wasn't getting PK time and wasn't playing at the end of games or in OT when this was reported. That has all changed since then. PK's game has forced MT to play him in those important scenarios.

The reality is PK's play has improved and he is basically playing his way onto Team Canada. He was going through a bit of a slump a while back. It turns out it provided good motivation for him to improve his game. Say what you want about MT but at the end of the day, he seems to be able to push Subban to elevate his game.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Um, Kris Letang has 5 points in 15 games and is -8, playing on a team with the two best offensive players in the world (or 2 of 3 if you think Ovechkin is better than Crosby and/or Malkin). How is anyone considering that guy for Team Canada?

Dan Boyle is 37 years old and has 9 points this year with a +0 record on a powerhouse San Jose team.

Is this for real? Boyle AND Letang are ahead of Subban? Subban has more points than both of them put together, can skate a lot better than both of them, has more ice time than both of them, is bigger than both, is much more physical than both, and is far better defensively than both of them.

Weber is another one I don't understand. Why is his spot carved in stone? That guy has been terrible this year.

But it's Subban that won't make the team?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

He also said Bernier was a strong candidate to make Team Canada in the off season.

He's no Bobby Mac :shakehead

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I disagree, what Dreger reported 3 weeks ago was likely a lot more truer than today. Back then, reality was PK wasn't clear cut ahead of Letang and Boyle but now he is imo.

Letang and Boyle aren't in the top 30 for scoring, they aren't in the top 30 for plus minus. The only thing keeping them in the mix at this point is largely reputation.

PK wasn't getting PK time and wasn't playing at the end of games or in OT when this was reported. That has all changed since then. PK's game has forced MT to play him in those important scenarios.

The reality is PK's play has improved and he is basically playing his way onto Team Canada. He was going through a bit of a slump a while back. It turns out it provided good motivation for him to improve his game. Say what you want about MT but at the end of the day, he seems to be able to push Subban to elevate his game.

When Dreger first mentioned it, it was was before PK's couple of games ''slump''.
It was also just after Boyle suffered a concussion.

It made no sense then to say those guys were ahead of the Norris winner (who picked his game up exactly where he left it off last year), and it makes even less sense (if that's even possible) now.
PK is the top Canadian Dman (if not of the world period). There is no debating this.
He isn't perfect, nobody is. People that say he's too risky either know little about the player, have some kind of agenda, or don't understand what a PMD is.
Pretty ridiculous people are even discussing this.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
That's not a compliment when you're on the #7-#8 pairing with Phaneuf. I'm so done with these so called "experts".

Yeah I know, he's arguably better than all the 'locks' , but at least he's getting -some- recognition. Most 'experts' play the dumb perception bias card, and harp about his one or two mistakes in a game instead of his endless positive plays.

Yzerman said he was going to bring the best players available. Subban is easily in the top 6 (Top 4) of the best available Canadian d-men. We'll see if Yzerman keeps his word or not.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
PK is the top Canadian Dman (if not of the world period). There is no debating this.

That's kind of like saying Jim Carey is the best goalie in the world in March of 1986. The only player that currently deserves that kind of differential from his peers is Sidney Crosby.

Subban isn't undebatably the best Canadian dman. If he was, he would be a lock for Team Canada. The fact that he isn't, proves ITS HUGELY DEBATABLE.

Nice try.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
That's kind of like saying Jim Carey is the best goalie in the world in March of 1986. The only player that currently deserves that kind of differential from his peers is Sidney Crosby.

Subban isn't undebatably the best Canadian dman. If he was, he would be a lock for Team Canada. The fact that he isn't, proves ITS HUGELY DEBATABLE.

Nice try.

He won the Norris last year, and should get at least a nomination the way he's playing right now, offensively and defensively. It'll take time for people to forget that Colorado game, but besides that he's been great overall and in the past 2 games he's been the Subban of old. It took an ass kicking for him to wake up but now he will dominate the rest of the season in typical Subban style you watch. He should ABOSOLUTELY be a lock of Team Canada. Like, that shouldn't even be up for discussion, so your point fails.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
PK Subban "Oh you guys don't think I'm good enough for Team Canada?"

BEAST MODE ENGAGED

Thank you Dreger and co.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd be very curious to see if Dreger and co. would put Karlsson on team Canada if he were Canadian. They probably say he's a lock for the first pair.

I'm astonished by the fact Subban managed to win a Norris despite the apparent lack of recognition he gets from most medias. Would he have the reputation of a Shea Weber, he'd probably be seen as Canada's best defenseman coming into the Olympics, or at least not far from it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd be very curious to see if Dreger and co. would put Karlsson on team Canada if he were Canadian. They probably say he's a lock for the first pair.

I'm astonished by the fact Subban managed to win a Norris despite the apparent lack of recognition he gets from most medias. Would he have the reputation of a Shea Weber, he'd probably be seen as Canada's best defenseman coming into the Olympics, or at least not far from it.

If Subban played for Nashville, despite getting less media attention I have no doubt he would get more positive media attention.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Nice try.
In my opinion he actually is the best blueliner in the game now. I was skeptical at first but there's just no denying that this guy is amazing now.

I haven't seen enough of OEL though to be able to comment on his play though I've been very impressed with what I have seen. I didn't get to see Karlsson a few years back either but I've seen him this season and he doesn't impress me on the backend. Pietreangelo I'd also like to see more of. Whenever I watch him though he doesn't really stand out. Solid, steady but I haven't been wowed by him the way I was with OEL or Doughty.

Chara is Chara and Weber is Weber... you know what you're getting from those guys. Different dimension of player there but really excellent players.

You are absolutely right that there is no consensus best defenseman out there today. Ask five different people and you'll get five different answers.

For my money right now though, I'd take PK Subban over anyone.

Don't know if he'll make team Canada. If Steve Yzerman can get cut so can anyone. But it would be a big mistake not to have him there and I think he'll be on the team. He should be a lock but then again Yzerman (ironically) should've been a lock as well.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
In my opinion he actually is the best blueliner in the game now. I was skeptical at first but there's just no denying that this guy is amazing now.

I haven't seen enough of OEL though to be able to comment on his play though I've been very impressed with what I have seen. I didn't get to see Karlsson a few years back either but I've seen him this season and he doesn't impress me on the backend. Pietreangelo I'd also like to see more of. Whenever I watch him though he doesn't really stand out. Solid, steady but I haven't been wowed by him the way I was with OEL or Doughty.

Chara is Chara and Weber is Weber... you know what you're getting from those guys. Different dimension of player there but really excellent players.

You are absolutely right that there is no consensus best defenseman out there today. Ask five different people and you'll get five different answers.

For my money right now though, I'd take PK Subban over anyone.

Don't know if he'll make team Canada. If Steve Yzerman can get cut so can anyone. But it would be a big mistake not to have him there and I think he'll be on the team. He should be a lock but then again Yzerman (ironically) should've been a lock as well.

I agree that he is the best right now. But to suggest its undebatable, that he is hands down the best is wrong, which was my point.

I bet if you were to ask 20 non Habs fans, 10-15 of them wouldn't say he isn't the absolute best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->