Value of: Subban and Turris for a top line center.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
You do realize that Ryan Johansen is on the Preds roster, right? That's 26 year old 30 goal scorer with limitless potential to be a consistent 70 point player in the right situation. That's a top line center if I've ever seen one. Turris in the #2 slot means you don't always have to rely on Johansen to be "the guy" either. Turris is a luxury that most teams don't have. The Preds likely have the best center depth that they have ever had in the history of the franchise.

Johansen is a low-end #1 tbh. Is he important to our team? Hell yeah he is, I would do the Jones trade again every time. Joey and Turris is a great one-two punch but it's not a game breaking one-two punch and it's not an elite one. The Preds are still lacking true game breakers except Forsberg (who is also debatable tbh).

Also Joey only scored 30 once and that was 5 years ago.

Reactions: Dustin

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Johansen is a low-end #1 tbh. Is he important to our team? Hell yeah he is, I would do the Jones trade again every time. Joey and Turris is a great one-two punch but it's not a game breaking one-two punch and it's not an elite one. The Preds are still lacking true game breakers except Forsberg (who is also debatable tbh).

A low-end #1? Sure, but he has support from Turris AND Bonino down the middle. You may not have an ELITE GAME BREAKING #1 center, but you do by committee. Moving Subban and Turris would hurt the team more than having a true #1 elite center would help it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I could really See Edmonton Trading for something like this.

draisaitl+small add for Subban + Turris

And we’ll magic up the 16 million bucks in cap space out of our bungholes, will we?

We already have Turris’ clone in RNH, don’t need him too, and Subban is great but a very expensive luxury.

Zero interest from Edmonton’s POV. We don’t want to downgrade Draisaitl and the cap space would never work.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
A low-end #1? Sure, but he has support from Turris AND Bonino down the middle. You may not have an ELITE GAME BREAKING #1 center, but you do by committee. Moving Subban and Turris would hurt the team more than having a true #1 elite center would help it.

I used to think this too until I saw what Crosby/Malkin did to us two years ago and Scheifele/Stastny did to us last year. Having "the best top 4" in the league is really overrated, not gonna lie. Gimme a superstar elite forward and take anyone in our top 4.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I could see LD + a small add for Subban, I think it would help both teams tremendously.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Wj
LOL get real that plus better be someone like Nurse.

Drai < Subban
small add <<< Turris
Why do people not compare the likes? Is it just a shoddy way to skew values?

Drai > Turris quite easily. The gap is not Subban obviously, but when you spin it as Drai ccmpared to Subban it seems so much worse.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Wj

Drai > Turris quite easily. The gap is not Subban obviously, but when you spin it as Drai ccmpared to Subban it seems so much worse.
I compared the 2 most valuable pieces in that proposal, unless you wanted to compare a "small add" to Subban lmfao

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Wj

Subban and Drai are the main two pieces that's why they're compared.

Do you think it looks better like this

Drai>>Turris
Subban >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>small add

Reactions: FatGiraffe

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I could see LD + a small add for Subban, I think it would help both teams tremendously.

Nope. Our forwards would be so horrendously bad without Drai that they would negate all the good Subban would bring.

We’re content to roll with what we’ve got on the blue line going forward. Bear is NHL ready and Bouchard has not looked out of place at all.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nope. Our forwards would be so horrendously bad without Drai that they would negate all the good Subban would bring.

We’re content to roll with what we’ve got on the blue line going forward. Bear is NHL ready and Bouchard has not looked out of place at all.

TBH they're not much better with LD. At least with Subban you have a legit defense in

Subban-Larsson
Klefbom-Nurse

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
TBH they're not much better with LD. At least with Subban you have a legit defense in

Subban-Larsson
Klefbom-Nurse

TBH Drai is a hell of a player regardless what the Toronto peanut gallery says. Why don’t you put Nylander + or Tavares on the table if you think that much of Subban, your defence needs the help just as much. We’re not interested in moving a 22 year old for a guy that’s 30 in May.

Subban is a RHD and Nurse is a LHD, your pairings are a mess.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
TBH Drai is a hell of a player regardless what the Toronto peanut gallery says. Why don’t you put Nylander + or Tavares on the table if you think that much of Subban, your defence needs the help just as much. We’re not interested in moving a 22 year old for a guy that’s 30 in May.

Subban is a RHD and Nurse is a LHD, your pairings are a mess.
I'd easily move Nylander for Subban. And can you have a discussion about the Oilers without bringing up different teams that weren't even in the discussion in the first place? The Leafs defense was 11th in GA last year, the Oilers were bottom 5. Not remotely comparable.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I can't see the two of them being packaged in a deal, I could see them going to seperate teams and the assets from one being allocated to a team for their #1C

Just for poops and laughs

NYI
Turris

NSH
2nd 2019
Ho-Sang

Then

NSH
Draisatl
Nurse

EDM
Subban
NYI 2nd
Ho-Sang

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd easily move Nylander for Subban. And can you have a discussion about the Oilers without bringing up different teams that weren't even in the discussion in the first place? The Leafs defense was 11th in GA last year, the Oilers were bottom 5. Not remotely comparable.

Andersen had a better year than Talbot that’s about the only difference. We were a top 10 GA team with pretty much the same personnel in 16/17.

And if you think it would take Draisaitl+ for Subban, what’s the ++ you’re giving up with Nylander? Of course understanding that Nylander is 100% a winger at the NHL level and the Preds would likely want someone capable of playing the position.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Andersen had a better year than Talbot that’s about the only difference. We were a top 10 GA team with pretty much the same personnel in 16/17.

And if you think it would take Draisaitl+ for Subban, what’s the ++ you’re giving up with Nylander? Of course understanding that Nylander is 100% a winger at the NHL level and the Preds would likely want someone capable of playing the position.
I'd move Nylander + 1st + Zaitsev (cap purposes but can still be a top4 D like his rookie season showed 2 years ago) for Subban

How many goalies have the Oilers had over the years? At some point you gotta stop blaming them and start blaming the defense.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Turris + Subban for Draisaitl and larsson as a basis both teams sacrifice some in an area of strength (Nashville defensive Edmonton center) but get better in another area (Nashville center Edmonton defense). The way I see it Subban = Drai. Subban is more decorated but drai is younger and Turris is more or less around the same as larrson. Maybe I’m underestimating him but he seems like a solid 2-3 d that would be a great defensive partner for josi

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd move Nylander + 1st + Zaitsev (cap purposes but can still be a top4 D like his rookie season showed 2 years ago) for Subban

How many goalies have the Oilers had over the years? At some point you gotta stop blaming them and start blaming the defense.
See I’d be fine with this but only because I think Zaitsev bounces back on Nashville. Put him on second pairing with Ekholm and maintain the josi/Ellis pairing and I think he’d be good.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I used to think this too until I saw what Crosby/Malkin did to us two years ago and Scheifele/Stastny did to us last year. Having "the best top 4" in the league is really overrated, not gonna lie. Gimme a superstar elite forward and take anyone in our top 4.

Lots of people saw what Crosby/Malkin did to Sissons/Gaudreau due to the #1 center being injured and Turris not even being on the roster. Whatever you think happened, did not, as Rinne being a sieve in Pittsburgh was the reason the series was lost.

The 2nd line was a** all playoffs this so there might be some reasoning there, but once again, the usual suspect, along with Josi and Ellis, came up short in the biggest game of that series. There's an unfortunate pattern there of getting weak goal-tending when it matters.

Center matchups weren't really the issue in either these series, miraculously so in the Pittsburgh series.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Lots of people saw what Crosby/Malkin did to Sissons/Gaudreau due to the #1 center being injured and Turris not even being on the roster. Whatever you think happened, did not, as Rinne being a sieve in Pittsburgh was the reason the series was lost.

The 2nd line was a** all playoffs this so there might be some reasoning there, but once again, the usual suspect, along with Josi and Ellis, came up short in the biggest game of that series. There's an unfortunate pattern there of getting weak goal-tending when it matters.

Center matchups weren't really the issue in either these series, miraculously so in the Pittsburgh series.
For the most part, I agree, but this was just all in fun.

I think with solid goaltending, we do better in both playoffs. Rinne was our weak link in both.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
giphy.gif

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The way Josi and Ellis played at the end of last season... I'd be in no hurry to move Subban. And the way Johansen played at the end of last season... I'm totally onboard with him as a perfectly acceptable #1C. It doesn't seem like a trade concept that really fits what the Preds should be looking at.

Really, all the Preds need to be thinking of is maybe adding a scoring winger... either as a rental trade for prospects or next year as a UFA signing. Big structural changes beyond that are a real stretch at this point. Things could change depending on what unfolds in the season. But right now, these kinds of moves wouldn't make any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad