Stupid question: origin of Leafs name

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
I have an admittedly dumb question about the origin of the team's name. Can't seem to find an answer in a quick Google search and thought maybe someone here will know: Why is the team called the Maple Leafs, not the Maple Leaves, which would be proper English?

Thanks and good luck with the playoff chase.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Leafs is what's called a proper noun, therefore it is not subject to normal pluralization rules.

another eg...would you call a family with surname Wolf the Wolves? Of course not.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Leafs is what's called a proper noun, therefore it is not subject to normal pluralization rules.

another eg...would you call a family with surname Wolf the Wolves? Of course not.

Good point Pep. And further to that, "Leafs" is better because we are not celebrating leaves in general (though they're very nice, I'm sure), but the one Leaf, the symbol of Canada. In this day of names like "Avalanche" and "Lightning" the team might have been named "The Leaf," but I think "Leafs" is better.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
But what makes it a proper noun? Forgive the American ignorance, but is it because it's a national symbol in Canada? Otherwise it's just a leaf, no?
Thanks.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Most know that before there was the Toronto Maple Leafs they were called the Toronto Arenas (1917-1919) and then the Toronto St. Pats (1919-1926). The owners wanted to change the name from Arenas to st.Pats because there was a large Irish contingent in the Toronto area that the owners wanted to target. After Smythe bought the team he changed the name to "Maple Leafs" I read about this in a book I will try to find out why he changed the name of the team.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
But what makes it a proper noun? Forgive the American ignorance, but is it because it's a national symbol in Canada? Otherwise it's just a leaf, no?
Thanks.
the fact that its a team name makes it a proper noun. that's the definition of a proper noun, a noun that refers to a particular person or place

but you would have to ask Conn for the actual reason. the name was changed to Maple Leafs in honour of his platoon and country. only he knows the reasoning for the rest.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Thanks.

You've got it. It's a proper noun because it refers to a particular Leaf, our national symbol. And as '67 said, it's also a proper noun (now) b/c it's the name of the team.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
Most know that before there was the Toronto Maple Leafs they were called the Toronto Arenas (1917-1919) and then the Toronto St. Pats (1919-1926). The owners wanted to change the name from Arenas to st.Pats because there was a large Irish contingent in the Toronto area that the owners wanted to target. After Smythe bought the team he changed the name to "Maple Leafs" I read about this in a book I will try to find out why he changed the name of the team.
I probably read the same book... The Maple Leaf is Canadian, so he wanted that. He owned a sand and gravel business which had blue and white as its colour.. hence the Blue Maple Leaf ,,,,,

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
I recall hearing that he named them that after a unit in the military of some sort. I can't confirm where I heard that but thats what I've always thought.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
I recall hearing that he named them that after a unit in the military of some sort. I can't confirm where I heard that but thats what I've always thought.

You may have confused that with the Chicago Blackhawks. I know that the name Blackhawks was named after a military unit. I never heard that of the Maple Leafs though.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Conn Smythe was apart of the Maple Leaf Regiment in the army. Thats why. I read it in the book Centre Ice by his Grandson Thomas Stafford Smythe.

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005

You're exactly right. Has nothing to do with whatever else anyone has mentioned. It had to do with a group of soldiers in the army that had a Leaf as it's patch. I don't know the exact story, but I am 100% certain this was the reason for the name.

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks.

Maple Leafs, as it refers to a organization or sports franchise, is considered a proper noun and not bound by normal rules of grammar and spelling. Proper nouns identify and specify the subject whether it is a person's name or the name of an organization.

Feb 24, 2004
The military thing is as I understand it the correct reason...Smythe's unit was the Maple Leaf regiment I believe, so thats where it comes from.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
It may have been a militairy reference but I always thought they were named after our AAA baseball team, the Toronto Maple Leafs who were around since the late
1800's.
Maybe a combination of the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->