Stupid question but what the hell

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Doesn't matter, Dallas would match any offer which isn't completely ridiculous.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Dallas have roughly 7 mil more in cap space then us, so the only way we would land Benn would be to throw ridciulous amounts of money at him.

It's not happening.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wouldn't be worth the cap hit plus compensation, considering who we have to re-sign over the next couple years.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
You have the right team for a trade, but are targeting the wrong player IMO. Ryder could probably be had in a trade for some of our younger D prospects. Big D needs decent players on the cheap. Benn is going to be their cornerstone on offense and their #1 C going forward.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Could we afford to go after Jamie Benn being that he's a rfa and would the compensation be worth it?

1. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.

2. Dallas would match any offer Shero conceivably would give if he were so inclined.

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
It's correct to be targeting teams that are in rebuilding mode. Benn is not at all likely for all the reasons others have pointed out. The type of player the Pens need to go after is a solid wing who is relatively young and whose production has dropped fover past couple seasons where he is at. The perfect team at this point may be Toronto now that they have fired Burke and are in desperate need of a complete gutting and reconstruct. Looking down their roster I can't help but think Kulemin in a trade.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's correct to be targeting teams that are in rebuilding mode. Benn is not at all likely for all the reasons others have pointed out. The type of player the Pens need to go after is a solid wing who is relatively young and whose production has dropped fover past couple seasons where he is at. The perfect team at this point may be Toronto now that they have fired Burke and are in desperate need of a complete gutting and reconstruct. Looking down their roster I can't help but think Kulemin in a trade.

Pffft . . . he had 7 goals last season. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't know, we did get Neal + Niskenan for Gogo.. Maybe we could get Benn + for despres

a) Benn made Neal available as he was seen as a lesser version of what they had in house so superfluous. Similar to Gogo for us actually. There is no equivilent now waiting in the wings for the Stars.

b) Neal was seen as a pain in the ass sign for them, so moving a headache and player seen as with an attitude problem for them was made easier. Ironic because now Benn is a pain in the ass sign for them. I always have said if one person calls you an ass do not worry about it. Two people? No worries. A third calls you an ass start wearing a saddle and bridle as you probably are one. Maybe the pain in the ass is not the players but Dallas.

c) Dallas had ownership issues at the time and was trying to shed salary. Those are no longer there.

Long and short of it is the Neal trade was a one off we took advantage of.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

I like Kulemin, but Ryder is better currently IMO and can be had for cheaper in the short term. He is just about James Neal's clone.

Kulumin is more of a long term item and would probably cost more for that sake. Not a bad option.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They would trade him to / not match an offer sheet from anyone but us. 0 chance. Benn is getting 8 years from them. Book it.
Otherwise why not just call the Stars a Penguins affiliate? "Yah all our best forwards develop there. Eriksson is next." ;)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Big Benn fan... to the point I would want to see the Pens offer him Parise money. Like everyone is saying though, Dallas would match in a minute.

Whats a deal that even comes close for him?

Kunitz-Despres-2013 and 2014 1sts
for
Benn-2013 and 2014 3rds

1sts are huge in a cap world and thats a ton of cap space too.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Big Benn fan... to the point I would want to see the Pens offer him Parise money. Like everyone is saying though, Dallas would match in a minute.

for
Benn-2013 and 2014 3rds

Do not fall in love with another man's girl is a good proverb to go by here. It's like other teams hoping to sign Crosby or Malkin from us. Any more words posted about this are wasted keystrokes.

ObsessedCreative*

for
Benn-2013 and 2014 3rds

Why would you move a guy like Kunitz? Thats like filling a hole and creating a hole in the same move.

Also those proposals are junk and wouldn't land you Benn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->