Study: Ram has the worst drivers of any auto brand

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
While specific auto brands don’t make people worse drivers, it seems to be true that certain types of drivers gravitate toward different makes and models. A recent study from LendingTree found that drivers of some brands rack up more accidents, DUIs, and other citations at much higher rates than others.

Ram drivers were the worst of the 30 brands LendingTree analyzed, with 32.90 incidents per 1,000 drivers between November 2022 and 2023. Only Tesla and Subaru came close, with 31.13 and 30.09 incidents, respectively.
Breaking things down further, Tesla drivers had the highest accident rates, followed by Ram and Subaru. The study also found that BMW drivers had the highest DUI rates, with almost twice the number of DUIs of the second-closest brand, Ram.
Here are the worst 10 by brand...

1703035836241.png

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why would Ram be listed instead of Dodge or Chrysler when all the others ones listed are companies not models?
Probably because it was such an outlier within the brand would be my guess. A common thing to do when you have a group on a chart and you get 1 thing within the group that is so drastically different than the rest, that you have to chart it separately.

It's an SPC thing.

Edit: Actually, because Ram is now considered it's own division of the company, much like Lexus is for Toyota apparently.

Dodge RAM vs. Dodge and RAM

While it may surprise you, Dodge RAM trucks have not been produced since 2008! Dodge and RAM formally separated into their own respective divisions in 2009. So why did Dodge and RAM split up exactly? While both are still produced by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Group (FCA), they split up so both branches can focus on their respective traits. So is RAM Dodge? While they are produced by the same parent company, RAM and Dodge are now separate brands.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Probably because it was such an outlier within the brand would be my guess. A common thing to do when you have a group on a chart and you get 1 thing within the group that is so drastically different than the rest, that you have to chart it separately.

It's an SPC thing.

Edit: Actually, because Ram is now considered it's own division of the company, much like Lexus is for Toyota apparently.

Ok thanks, both explanations make sense. I suppose the same applies to Infiniti with Nissan.

Reactions: TaLoN

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
"Mercury, a brand out of business for more than a decade, had the safest drivers."

Are there even 1,000 Mercurys still on the road? I've seen maybe 10 of them this year all barely driven by old people going to church or grocery shopping. They probably drive 2k miles a year lol. Some aspects of this study are rather silly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
"Mercury, a brand out of business for more than a decade, had the safest drivers."

Are there even 1,000 Mercurys still on the road? I've seen maybe 10 of them this year all barely driven by old people going to church or grocery shopping. They probably drive 2k miles a year lol. Some aspects of this study are rather silly.
It's per 1,000 insured vehicles for each brand, so that should account for a large range in total vehicles for each.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
No idea, the article doesn't get detailed enough on that
I didn't see an answer either. That's kind of my issue with it. If a brand is largely owned by elderly retirees who barely drive, the odds of them getting into accidents would obviously be far less than people who drive 20k miles a year. I would think they would take this into account but who knows

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I didn't see an answer either. That's kind of my issue with it. If a brand is largely owned by elderly retirees who barely drive, the odds of them getting into accidents would obviously be far less than people who drive 20k miles a year. I would think they would take this into account but who knows
Doesn't change the point of the article though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad