"Study" of the NHL teams under the Old Alignment

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Preface/Introduction: When I heard that the Old NHL Alignment had existed from the year 1994 I thought to myself "I wonder how each team did under it, which teams flourished, and which teams did not."

If someone else has done a study like this feel free to delete this one.

Purpose: I wanted to see each individual year for each team, and see the total combination over the course of these 19 years. I also wanted to see what that would average out to in a 82 game year (during the 19 years only 16 were played at 82 games, with two played at 48 and 1 at 84).
I also kept track of the playoff victories, losses; series won, Stanley Cups won, and playoff appearances.
I also took the average season records (adjusted to 82 games) and showed roughly were each team would place in their division and conference.
I suppose this is my sort of memorial for the Old Format

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtrZpMd-vfOYdEN4QjRPQzNPTno5bU9JLVVKN3VyU2c&usp=sharing

This is my first time uploading a google document, so if it doesn't work, chances are I won't know how to fix it unless someone tells me, then i will do my best to fix the link as quickly as possible.

I did this out of fun/boredom, so if there are any mistakes please feel free to point them out (in a respectful manner of course ;)
and if you have any ideas for improvement, or things you'd like to see, I will see if i can get to those.

Results I just want to say a few things that I noticed
-every team had a bad season at least once... except Detroit. Seriously over 19 years they never had a bad season.
-Toronto overall was better than I thought they were
-Tampa Bay was the only cup winning team to have a losing record overall
-Philadelphia did better than Pittsburgh in almost every category except winning the Stanley Cup
-New Jersey and Detroit were the only teams to win over 800 games in the past 19 years
-the New York Islanders were the worst team
-The amount of Ties and Overtime/Shootout losses that Florida had is almost ridiculous level.

There you have it.

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
Cool concept. Nice layout.

Really makes you think back nearly 20 years and remembering the great teams like the 96' RedWings.

mkwong268

Dec 30, 2011
The Sabres' 2004 year is missing the Ties column. The win/loss/OTL columns sum to 75 to they probably had 7 ties.

MAJackson

Oct 31, 2012
Europe
Nice work! Did notice though that it lists the Panthers as having 5 playoff appearances when it should be 4.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ottawa 14, Toronto 10.

Yup. Good fuel for my facebook arguments.

Montreal only has 40 playoff wins compared to the Leafs 58 over the old alignment despite the Leafs missing from 04-05 lockout to the 12-13 lockout!

WOW. We could have missed the playoffs for another 5 years and still end up with more playoff wins during that time period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad