Study: Being a distraction is one reason why no NHL players have admitted they are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As much as there's an element of homophobia that is ingrained into hockey or sports culture in general (that I think has been cracked down on considerably over the last handful of years, although still present), I think there is a lot of truth to that distraction angle. It seems like such a cliche thing to say, but the media often makes things exponentially worse, regardless of their intentions.

If you had a player come out today and wanted to embrace that aspect of his life publicly that's one thing, but knowing most hockey players, that would probably be someone that's in the vast minority. On the other hand, if you had a player that was perfectly comfortable being out with family/friends and in "public" as much as any other relationship but did not want any kind of spotlight from the media (like 99% of NHLers are with their personal lives regardless of sexuality), in this day and age the media would still get a hold of that for anyone that works in a setting where they're in the public eye. Not that it would be like TMZ paparazzi taking pictures of the Kardashians, but something like that would travel around the hockey and sports world when it's a major professional sport. I know a lot of people view "coming out" as a point of shame or would fear public perception, but others maybe just don't want their personal life broadcast all over with people associating them just as "the gay NHL player" or something. It can be anything from news stories on a major TV network to a Buzzfeed article about "10 gay athletes you didn't know were gay" or something like that. Hell, I just did a search online and found a handy Wikipedia page where I can sort every "reliably sourced" LGBT athlete in the world by sexual orientation/gender identity. And that's not to say that awareness is a bad thing, but I think the media can go way overboard with it in cases where they shouldn't be.

And in this day and age, that's just the tip of the iceberg for the media's coverage of LGBT issues. It's not just a difference in ideologies or over-exposure of certain things, but it's rather the items that get covered are almost always controversial in nature or are at different extremes in opinion, and when that's all that people are seeing, they start to identify the two "sides" in broad strokes as simply those two extremes. It's actually a pretty f***ed up dynamic; you have a huge portion of people that are or would be happily somewhere in the middle, not really caring either way, but when you see the extremes being covered, it influences people that are generally unaware to start identifying entire communities or groups of people with the same broad strokes. That's when you hear stuff like, "Look at them showing Michael Sam making out with his boyfriend. I don't care if he's gay but I wish the gay community would stop trying to shove it down our throats."

I wouldn't consider myself an LGBT advocate, but I became much more aware of the transgender community and transgender-related issues (which is its own unique shit-show altogether in the media) through my ex, and looking at the coverage it gets through the lens I have now, it's honestly just sad to see most of the stuff that gets covered and how it influences public perception. Everything is always controversial talking points and just creates more of a divide.

Bit of a tangent I know, but yeah, long story short I get the "distraction" angle lol. I think a ton of people are in the "do what you want" camp, but that's not the way it is or would be portrayed in the media, which has a substantial amount of influence.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yes, it absolutely sucks when you just want to be one of the guys and don't want to be singled out for something that really isn't anyone's business.

But if you read the article, that clearly is not what the players who were interviewed are talking about. The quoted snippet in the OP even says this, they're afraid that their "distraction" will result in them losing their job.

We should also consider at what point does it stop being a coincidence born of the free unfettered decision making of dozens of individuals and part of systemic oppression/hostile culture etc etc, ie, yes, no one wants to be distraction, but at what point does that become an excuse for ignoring the factors preventing people from coming out rather than an accurate description of the situation?

The only way to mitigate the outside distractions would be by making it very clear that the team is not going to tolerate outsiders whipping up some type of frenzy. If a player wants to come out, the team can have an introductory press conference, handle questions then, and then that's it. Media members who want to make it into a cause get access revoked, and all players are instructed not to answer any questions about it at all.

The reality is that there are people within the media, whether in sports or otherwise, who are simply waiting for someone to say something even the slightest bit inarticulate so that it can be pounced on. The football media went nuts a few years ago when a washed-up fullback and a mediocre punter were released, accusing the NFL and owners of wanting to shun players who advocate for LGBT rights. It was serious enough that it prompted Cyd Zeigler of OutSports to pen this: Kluwe, Ayanbadejo not cut for gay advocacy

Reactions: DaveG

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Anybody whos ever been in a change room knows why no players will come out. Even if its 2019 and its widely accepted.
I'm gay and no straight man has ever had a problem with me in a change room.

I can actually be in a room with naked men and not want to f*** every single one of them. Shocking, perhaps. Also, change rooms are gross.

Change room insecurity must not be a reason not to come out. "Sorry, but I must suffer because I may have accidentally caught a glimpse of a straight man's life savers."

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
My old high school pals used to call each other names in jest. I never felt it was from a place of hate, but those instances gave me pause to come out to them years later. I just wasn't sure.

I would hope the next generation would lose the casual use of homophobic language in a "sacred" environment, but I still think that's a ways off. The day when people don't say such things, without feeling like they are censoring themselves, will be a huge step in the right direction.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hockey players play hockey. Why would one want to talk about their sex life and sexual orientation in public?

I haven't heard any players coming out saying they are straight and they only have sex with women. Why would gay players feel any different?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Hockey players play hockey. Why would one want to talk about their sex life and sexual orientation in public?

I haven't heard any players coming out saying they are straight and they only have sex with women. Why would gay players feel any different?

Because two men holding hands in public, one of them being an NHLer, will make the news. Team mates will be asked about it, whether it be fair or not.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Because two men holding hands in public, one of them being an NHLer, will make the news. Team mates will be asked about it, whether it be fair or not.
And the people asking should be held in the same regard as the people asking about Carrie Underwood or Lindsey Vonn in the dressing room. Answer the questions or not, it's your choice, but the question is stupid in that setting.

Reactions: DaveG and slocal

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
And the people asking should be held in the same regard as the people asking about Carrie Underwood or Lindsey Vonn in the dressing room. Answer the questions or not, it's your choice, but the question is stupid in that setting.

Well said.

It's a stupid threshold, but one that may need to be crossed before players feel like they can live their private lives without fear. How great it would be for a team mate to just flat out say, "it doesn't matter" to a reporter asking such a thing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Let's also not forget that, similar to BattleBorn's point, how frequently are player's spouses brought up? The player may not be expressly saying they're straight, but there's at the very least, tacit "outing," as it were, of straight players. I recall in Carolina, for instance, they'd sometimes do what was essentially an "Ask the Canes WAGs" segment during stoppages in play and when you're seeing Kristi Yamaguchi, Brijet Whitney, Cody Ward or Mara Stillman talking about their husband's worst habits or pet peeves or what not, I'd say their sexual orientation has been made public.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WAGs officially or unofficially do a lot of stuff for teams. Sometimes they have fundraisers, often they support the team's charity/foundation.

It all depends.

Preds' Significant Others Debut New Podcast: Off Ice with Ida & Julie

The Predators recently announced a podcast by the players "significant others". By definition, they'll have to tread a fine line between allowing a small look into a player's family environment vs privacy.

8 episodes to date. Topics include retirement, trades, injuries.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
The problem is today's media is a toxic cesspool.

Any player that came out would be instantly shoved into the spotlight, poked and prodded relentlessly just to get a stupid soundbite, resulting in not only a distraction to the player, but the entire team.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
To be fair, I haven't seen any NHL players set up a press conference and confirm to the world that they are straight either...Then there are robots like Crosby, I dont think hes gay or straight...only thinks about hockey 24/4.
Hasn't really had a chance growing up to even think about his orientation because he was to busy constantly traveling and training and playing high levels of hockey...maybe he will give it a thought when he is in his 40s and done with the game.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The first NHL player to admit they are gay might not be an NHL player. I think it might be a prospect who will be openly gay since a young age (like between 10-15 years old) and be drafted. As generations become more and more open it will open doors and its a question of time until a prospect will be openly gay. Problem is the hockey culture is pretty homophobic. Not that the individuals involved in hockey are homophobic but the collectivity is (I'd be curious to see the number of kids that come out openly gay while on a hockey team vs those who don't, I personally have not met a single opnely gay hockey player)

Of course the media will create stupid stories but I don't think it's going to end up being a big press conference from an active NHL player like a lot of people believe.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The first NHL player to admit they are gay might not be an NHL player. I think it might be a prospect who will be openly gay since a young age (like between 10-15 years old) and be drafted. As generations become more and more open it will open doors and its a question of time until a prospect will be openly gay. Problem is the hockey culture is pretty homophobic. Not that the individuals involved in hockey are homophobic but the collectivity is (I'd be curious to see the number of kids that come out openly gay while on a hockey team vs those who don't, I personally have not met a single opnely gay hockey player)

Of course the media will create stupid stories but I don't think it's going to end up being a big press conference from an active NHL player like a lot of people believe.
Junior hockey is probably even worse. Jaret Anderson-Dolan has two same-sex parents and there were teams in the bantam draft that refused to draft him just for that. Even after his NHL draft there were people questioning if he could really be an NHL player just because he has two moms. It would be much worse for a player that was actually gay themselves. Coming out at the junior level could potentially derail someone's entire career. JAD's bantam draft was only 5 years ago so it's doubtful that there's been some huge cultural shift by now.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Junior hockey is probably even worse. Jaret Anderson-Dolan has two same-sex parents and there were teams in the bantam draft that refused to draft him just for that. Even after his NHL draft there were people questioning if he could really be an NHL player just because he has two moms. It would be much worse for a player that was actually gay themselves. Coming out at the junior level could potentially derail someone's entire career. JAD's bantam draft was only 5 years ago so it's doubtful that there's been some huge cultural shift by now.

I did not know about that... thats awful :(

Then we're in for a long ride... current players won't do it because of the attention and such, and retired players have no reason to come up in the media to say they are homosexual, especially if they are living comfortably and away from public exposure

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
To be fair, I haven't seen any NHL players set up a press conference and confirm to the world that they are straight either...Then there are robots like Crosby, I dont think hes gay or straight...only thinks about hockey 24/4.
Hasn't really had a chance growing up to even think about his orientation because he was to busy constantly traveling and training and playing high levels of hockey...maybe he will give it a thought when he is in his 40s and done with the game.

Pretty sure he’s been dating a supermodel for like a decade.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I did not know about that... thats awful :(

Then we're in for a long ride... current players won't do it because of the attention and such, and retired players have no reason to come up in the media to say they are homosexual, especially if they are living comfortably and away from public exposure
The good news is that the majority of people don't think it's completely abnormal anymore. Gay marriage is completely legal everywhere in the NHL's footprint, and every passing day makes the story less interesting.

There doesn't have to be a first, it's no longer groundbreaking. Gay dude can just hang out and play hockey and every single day it gets better if he's "outed" (which I don't think would happen, due to previously mentioned circumstances) and it's less of an issue.

Whether someone should keep things secret out of fear is another question, but I don't think that's actually an issue anymore. There's very little chance of a dude getting outed or coming out and losing their career, due to the fact that, again, the average player is like 25.

I think the NHL dressing room is a lot further developed on this issue than those of us sitting here commenting on the situation with our age and personal biases think. I work in an industry that's not athletics, but has a similar competitive win/lose mindset, and the whole gay thing hasn't been an issue in a decade.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
straight people don't come out because the world simply presumes they are straight. just yesterday a new colleague asked me about my wife.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Is it that teams refused to draft him because of his family situation? Or is it that teams refused to draft him because they feared that a small junior team might suddenly become the focal point of a blinding media and cultural spotlight which they were ill-equipped to handle?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Is it that teams refused to draft him because of his family situation? Or is it that teams refused to draft him because they feared that a small junior team might suddenly become the focal point of a blinding media and cultural spotlight which they were ill-equipped to handle?
Ah yes. The blinding media and cultural spotlight focused on Spokane f***ing Washington after he got drafted here in 2014. Everyone definitely remembers that happening.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Odd. I can't help but notice that not only are there no openly gay players currently player, but no former players who came out post career either. They must not want to be a "distraction", I guess.

Yeah, this. When the euphemism is represented as reality, you know that an unwillingness to confront reality is the problem.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Ah yes. The blinding media and cultural spotlight focused on Spokane ****ing Washington after he got drafted here in 2014. Everyone definitely remembers that happening.

I never said that it did happen, but that there may well have been a fear that it would happen. The link I provided above was from 2013, in direct response to certain groups of media and other prominent people who largely operate outside of sports jumping into the NFL with an axe to grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->