Study: Being a distraction is one reason why no NHL players have admitted they are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-insights-gay-hockey-players.html

The overriding threat of becoming a distraction is the main barrier keeping professional hockey players from identifying publicly as gay, even though such an admission would likely accelerate a more tolerant hockey culture, according to new research out of the University of Alberta.

Cheryl MacDonald, a sport sociologist who just completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the U of A, interviewed six straight former National Hockey League players and six openly gay hockey players who played at an elite level, but not the NHL. They included Brock McGillis of the United Hockey League—the only openly gay former professional hockey player in the world—to find out their attitudes about whether the NHL is ready to have one of its players come out as gay.

Though the subjects were split on whether they thought the NHL was homophobic, all of them—including former NHLers who compared hiding their addiction or mental health issues to coming out—agreed that the potential to lose their career outweighed the benefit of revealing something they can live with people not knowing.

"(The players told me) it doesn't matter if you're gay, or concussed, or you've been sexually abused or have mental health issues, none of those are OK because you are a distraction," said MacDonald, former co-chair of the western Canadian board of You Can Play and current post-doctoral scholar at St. Mary's University in Nova Scotia.

"You don't want to risk it not being OK, because the perception is someone who is just as good at your job but isn't gay is going to take your spot."

Some of the players interviewed said other reasons for keeping their sexual orientation under wraps include everything from the tolerance of the people in their hometown to fear over how the NHL brass might react.

Interesting that mental health and concussion is considered similarly to being homosexual per this study WRT being a distraction.
I am concerned that hiding a concussion is not good for a player's long term health. And not a good sign for openness and proper treatment. Hiding the true status of a player's health is a point that any concussion lawsuit would have to address.

Changing culture still needed throughout the pro hockey leagues.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I'm sure these issues are very relevant, acknowledging concussions alone took a long time. However this study is very limited, 6 former NHL and 6 Non-NHL but former pro. A far larger sample is needed to draw any broader conclusions. Those interviews confirm what most believe but don't really confirm in a scientific manner.

Reactions: Edenjung and Mach85

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
If I were them, I wouldn't trust the media to handle this responsibly. When something that is (sadly) this polarizing happens, many of them will kick over every rock they can find to get a negative reaction and use it to bring attention to themselves.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Part of the issue of coming out may lie in the simple fact that a lot of guys just want to play hockey and don't want to become a media darling by coming out. I'm not a hockey player nor gay but if I were both I wouldn't want people interested in me because of my sexual orientation.

BS. If the league culture was more welcoming players would come out. Period.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If I were them, I wouldn't trust the media to handle this responsibly. When something that is (sadly) this polarizing happens, many of them will kick over every rock they can find to get a negative reaction and use it to bring attention to themselves.
Yeah combine that with the fact that hockey players seem to be more introverted than their counterparts in other sports I can see them not wanting the attention more than anything else.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
@LeHab true study scope is limited, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Maybe actual study has more data but from this article we don't even know when these players played in the NHL. For anecdotal evidence, one would hope actual gay NHL players be it current or former would be surveyed even if anonymously on actual "why's". Finding volunteers may be challenging but otherwise there is not much here we haven't heard before. These topics are still somehow tabou among general population and way worst in male dominated fields (Military...).

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If the NHLPA and/or NHL alumni association got on board, they might be able to get larger buy in of responses.

NHL is not the most progressive organization.

Distraction could be a major factor but we yet have to see an NHL player come out after retiring when being a distraction with potential impact on contract is no longer applicable. Once again without knowing percentage of gay players, hard to draw any conclusions.

Unlike mental health where we see players talking about issues only after retiring.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't think the reasons NHL players have for not coming out is any different from LGBT+ people in any other workplace. The potential for losing their job, workplace ostracization, safety, etc. Yes, as public figures there's a much bigger spotlight on them, but the reasons for staying closeted are the same whether you're a famous athlete or a cashier at a grocery store. Teams can improve the situation by making an effort to be LGBT-friendly and make it clear throughout the organization that discrimination will not be tolerated but it's always still going to be a tremendous risk for anyone to stand up and say "I'm gay." It doesn't mean that it won't eventually happen and I welcome the day that it does but there are valid reasons not to.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I think there's certainly merit to the idea that players don't want unwanted attention.

Look at Michael Sam in the NFL, who simply by coming out and being drafted was the subject of an absolute media circus. And that spilled over to his teammates, particularly when an ESPN reporter was questioning them in the parking lot over the logistics of showering and other locker room behavior.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I'm sure these issues are very relevant, acknowledging concussions alone took a long time. However this study is very limited, 6 former NHL and 6 Non-NHL but former pro. A far larger sample is needed to draw any broader conclusions. Those interviews confirm what most believe but don't really confirm in a scientific manner.
i actually teach this stuff at both the undergrad and graduate levels. qualitative studies with small numbers can be just as "scientific" as large scale quantitative studies with lots of responses. indeed, in this case, because there are so few people of study interest, this is the appropriate method to use.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

The idea that this is the sole reason that players aren't coming out is a pretty uninformed take.

Being the first openly gay hockey player would be a huge media story and would attract a ton of attention across the sports world. I would absolutely understand a player not wanting this sort of thing (especially while they're actively playing) regardless of how their teammates would react.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
i actually teach this stuff at both the undergrad and graduate levels. qualitative studies with small numbers can be just as "scientific" as large scale quantitative studies with lots of responses. indeed, in this case, because there are so few people of study interest, this is the appropriate method to use.

There is definitely merit in qualitative research. However here based on the article, my understanding was that there was an intention to test a hypothesis "is NHL ready to have one of its players come out as gay?" which would require a quant approach. Without seeing the actual study and associated methodology this is more speculation. Articles attempting to report on studies are unfortunately often short on these details.

If we are looking for "why not" then I see value in qualitative approach to form theories. However once again without better understanding the sample I'm pointing limitations in what is disclosed in the article.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuelphStormer

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
These guys hang out with each other fairly regularly outside of practice/work, they'll have dinner and sometimes drinks, and oftentimes they meet people. I'm sure there's a few gay players in the league, and I'd venture to guess that their teammates know about it and it's not a huge deal. The average player is 25 or so years old so I'm guessing it's just not as big an issue as most people above that age would likely assume. For example, a good portion of the people around Missouri's football program knew Michael Sam was gay, it just wasn't something that was discussed with the general public, just like most of those types of things. That was five years ago.

The only reasons to come out is to "break a barrier" that's already been broken by plenty of people in other sports or to provide writers something to write about for a few weeks. Plus, you get the added benefit of having who you're sleeping with rise to the top of the list of questions people want to ask you. Seems pointless to me.

In other words, breaking the barrier implies that’s it’s not normal. We all know now that there’s been gay hockey players, and there are now. Our entire desire to see someone come out is based on us, not them.

It’s no longer abnormal.

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-insights-gay-hockey-players.html

Interesting that mental health and concussion is considered similarly to being homosexual per this study WRT being a distraction.
I am concerned that hiding a concussion is not good for a player's long term health. And not a good sign for openness and proper treatment. Hiding the true status of a player's health is a point that any concussion lawsuit would have to address.

Changing culture still needed throughout the pro hockey leagues.

who are the active pro athletes on teams in North America who have come out? So it is not just the NHL

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
who are the active pro athletes on teams in North America who have come out? So it is not just the NHL

There has been an openly gay player in the NBA. And I believe one in the NFL on the practice squad who later played in the CFL. Also women’s hockey and basketball.

Also don’t think that just because a player hasn’t gone to the media and held a press conference about it doesn’t mean a player isn’t open to his teammates.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
I think there's certainly merit to the idea that players don't want unwanted attention.

Look at Michael Sam in the NFL, who simply by coming out and being drafted was the subject of an absolute media circus. And that spilled over to his teammates, particularly when an ESPN reporter was questioning them in the parking lot over the logistics of showering and other locker room behavior.

As I mentioned before, he'll be a pawn for the ratings-obsessed media. People are out of their minds if they actually think it's good business for him to just fit in.

The 2nd gay athlete probably wont have to deal with it as much.

As for Michael Sam, you can make the argument that he actually made things worse.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
There has been an openly gay player in the NBA. And I believe one in the NFL on the practice squad who later played in the CFL. Also women’s hockey and basketball.

Also don’t think that just because a player hasn’t gone to the media and held a press conference about it doesn’t mean a player isn’t open to his teammates.

there are players open to their teammates. Sean Avery confirmed that. The NBA and NFL players you mentioned. The NBA player Jason Collins came out as his career ended and the NFL player Michael Sam is an example of how much of a distraction it can be. As for women sports, it is assumed 1/2 are gay anyway. Say if Kyle Okposo came out as gay tomorrow, it would be a huge distraction and draw attention away from the sport and the team

Reactions: DaveG

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
there are players open to their teammates. Sean Avery confirmed that. The NBA and NFL players you mentioned. The NBA player Jason Collins came out as his career ended and the NFL player Michael Sam is an example of how much of a distraction it can be. As for women sports, it is assumed 1/2 are gay anyway. Say if Kyle Okposo came out as gay tomorrow, it would be a huge distraction and draw attention away from the sport and the team
This, and I honestly DGAF who anyone is f***ing regardless of whether the person they're f***ing is the same gender or not.

I'll never understand this obsession over making the different a big deal so it seems normal after the different is already accepted as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->