OT: Stuck in Calgary for Game #4

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'll be stuck in downtown Calgary (Delta Bow Valley hotel specifically) for Game #4. Is there anywhere around there I can go to watch the game with fellow Jets fans? Or at least a recommended bar in the area?

Thanks in advance!

simcity

Apr 8, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Not sure if there is a designated sports bar that Jets fans in Calgary are gathering at, but it would be a cool idea. Any other Jets fans in Calgary up for it? If you're downtown, I would suggest Local on Stephen Avenue, I like the atmosphere there, the only thing is that it gets busy so getting a table could be a challenge. The good thing is on Stephen Avenue there are lots of other options available as a Plan B.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Yeah, you should be able to walk to Stephen ave (8th Ave) and catch the game in one of the pubs there. It's a playoff game so likely that It will be shown.

I'm gonna be watching most of the games with friends at home, but we might go out one night. If there are a few Calgary based jets fans that are down to meet somewhere, I'll be down to head out

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm in Calgary for games 1 & 2 - I'm selling my comic at Calgary Expo (Artist Alley R04!). So all replies to this topic help me too! Thanks everyone!

WHAT?

I'm going there for the Comic Expo and I'll be in Calgary from the 15th to the 20th. I'll come look for ya. :)

High Society

Apr 13, 2015
Long time lurker, finally decided to sign up for this exciting time. I will be in Calgary for game 3 and 4 as well. It would be fun to watch the games with some fellow Jets fans.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
I was going to suggest Flames Central (on Stephen Ave.) too, although, any time I've been there, they've been closed That said, I'm not often in downtown Calgary, in the evening, while there are NHL games being played.

Looking at the schedule, I'd say anywhere showing the playoffs would have the Jets game on, since our games don't conflict or overlap at all with any of the other Canadian teams. I haven't gone a day in Calgary without someone complimenting me on Jets or Bombers gear when I wear it out there.

Espirit

Aug 8, 2012
Peg
I was thinking along the same lines as well, but for Vancouver. Maybe we should start a thread about known jets parties and/or best spots to view the Jets games in other cities? I know any info would help me as well.

SwissGuy

Apr 13, 2015
I was thinking along the same lines as well, but for Vancouver. Maybe we should start a thread about known jets parties and/or best spots to view the Jets games in other cities? I know any info would help me as well.

I agree with this too. I'm moving out to Edmonton at the end of April so would like to know where a popular place to go would be.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The Palomino on 7th Ave and Centre Street: entirely dependent on whether they have music upstairs or not, but if they don't they will likely show the game on the big screen;maybe no sound, but not many places will if it isn't the Flames. Food is fantastic and it isn't expensive for what you get. Beer isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but at ~$7/pint its basically on par with downtown Calgary.

For Stephen Ave the best bets are probably Original Joe's or the Unicorn.

The former for no other reason than they might put the sound on. It's OJs so there isn't much special but you're getting good value for where you are, you know what you're getting and they have a bunch of screens. But since the Unicorn is closing in June, it would be wrong not to check it out. Also decent prices but the shape of the place meas there is a premium on 'good seats'.

For the most part Stephen Ave is expensive and not really catering to a non-Flames playoff hockey crowd, so while there are a lot of bars, there aren't many that are a good place to watch a game (Flames or not, really). I've never been a fan of Flames Central as a sports watching venue, and rumour has it that they're looking to convert it back to The Palace since it is a very successful music venue, but it may be worth it to poke your head in. I honestly don't remember if Below Deck has many TVs, but it might not be a bad bet to check out either.

There's a Pig and Duke downtown now (4th Ave and 5th St...ish) which may be a bit cheaper and a bit more Jets friendly (their 12th Ave location was a notorious Canucks bar, so they might embrace other interlopers as well) but I honestly can't tell you anything about it.

(This is mostly just generic advice for anyone, but also those staying at the Delta Bow Valley if they need it)

The Beltline would be a better bet, depending on where you're staying and how far you're willing to go. A little easier on the wallet (emphasis on 'little') and a bit more vibrant if that's what you're into. So here are a few options for bars that have TVs and may be willing to put the sound on for the Jets (and all have the bonus of being near better bars to go to after the game is done):

Bottlescrew Bills (10th Ave and 1st St)
St. James Corner (13th Ave and 1st St)
Hudson's Taphouse (12th Ave and 4th St)
Beer Revolution/Brewsters (11th Ave and 8th St)
Watchman's (17th Ave and 10th St)
Jameson's (17th Ave and 12th St)
The Pint (17th Ave and 14th St)

Places like the Ship and Anchor, Broken City, Local 510, Hop In Brew, Drum and Monkey and others are all very good post-game spots, but won't have much, if anything, to offer when the Flames aren't playing (and in the case of a couple, can't even offer that).

Hope it helps.

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Okay so with all the options, are there any other jets fans in Calgary that just want to set a place on the red mile and say we'll meet there?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Any places in Edmonton where other Jet fans might be? I'm there through Friday

dvst8r

Aug 18, 2011
I was at Schanks North in Crowfoot for Game 2. They had the Jets game there on their projectors as well as big screens with sound. Lots of Jets fans too judging by the reactions of the goals.

Edit: Nevermind - didn't notice he wants something near downtown.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
^ I can see that place being fun with the right crowd. I know a couple of guys from the SE who drive all the way up there to watch sporting events. I haven't been there for a Jets game before though, but I never thought about it.

wpglax, I would love to come out and give you company, but I won't be able to tomorrow night unfortunately.

...(snip)...

Hope it helps.

I just gotta say - Excellent rundown Roughneck, that is a ton of great info. When I lived in Marda Loop, I used to head to 17th Ave often, I also found the belt line area catered to Jets fans a bit better than downtown - though the few times I caught Jets games out on Stephen Ave, it was fine. There were a few pubs in Marda Loop area that were hit & miss though, they didn't see too many Jets fans and didn't seem to care to cater to me so I stopped giving them business.

I must admit though, I did end up becoming pleasantly surprised with Boston Pizza's in the city. I'm not generally a fan of franchised establishments, but I've been to many boston pizza's around the city and they always turn the game on when requested, if its not already playing.

Anyways, that's all tangential.

Truth be told wpglax, 17th Ave might end up being your best bet, but its a bit of a walk. Stephen Ave is closer to your location as its downtown but as Roughneck mentioned, may be a bit more hit & miss. Though given the playoff season, I expect it to be buzzing for any game, Jets included.

I ended up giving up on going out to watch games and settled on getting GameCentre Live for this season :laugh: so I'm a bit rusty with where the Jets fans congregate. I ran into a bunch at an Original Joe's once in the NW (Northland) and that was a very fun night.

Also another aside - most Jets fans I've met aren't from Manitoba! I'm sure the reality is not that, but for whatever reason I continue to meet Jets fans here who the furthest east they've ever been was somewhere is Saskatchewan!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
^ I can see that place being fun with the right crowd. I know a couple of guys from the SE who drive all the way up there to watch sporting events. I haven't been there for a Jets game before though, but I never thought about it.

wpglax, I would love to come out and give you company, but I won't be able to tomorrow night unfortunately.

I just gotta say - Excellent rundown Roughneck, that is a ton of great info. When I lived in Marda Loop, I used to head to 17th Ave often, I also found the belt line area catered to Jets fans a bit better than downtown - though the few times I caught Jets games out on Stephen Ave, it was fine. There were a few pubs in Marda Loop area that were hit & miss though, they didn't see too many Jets fans and didn't seem to care to cater to me so I stopped giving them business.

I must admit though, I did end up becoming pleasantly surprised with Boston Pizza's in the city. I'm not generally a fan of franchised establishments, but I've been to many boston pizza's around the city and they always turn the game on when requested, if its not already playing.

Anyways, that's all tangential.

Truth be told wpglax, 17th Ave might end up being your best bet, but its a bit of a walk. Stephen Ave is closer to your location as its downtown but as Roughneck mentioned, may be a bit more hit & miss. Though given the playoff season, I expect it to be buzzing for any game, Jets included.

I ended up giving up on going out to watch games and settled on getting GameCentre Live for this season :laugh: so I'm a bit rusty with where the Jets fans congregate. I ran into a bunch at an Original Joe's once in the NW (Northland) and that was a very fun night.

Also another aside - most Jets fans I've met aren't from Manitoba! I'm sure the reality is not that, but for whatever reason I continue to meet Jets fans here who the furthest east they've ever been was somewhere is Saskatchewan!

I would hang out at Red Mile (17th Ave SW). The place is probably festive, and buzzing since the Flames are almost certain of advancing, and will be definitely cheering for the Jets (since they play the winner, and Flames fans don't want to play the Ducks).

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'll be stuck in downtown Calgary (Delta Bow Valley hotel specifically) for Game #4. Is there anywhere around there I can go to watch the game with fellow Jets fans? Or at least a recommended bar in the area?

Thanks in advance!

there are a ton of awesome bars on stehphen ave (8th ave) which are easily within walking distance of that hotel. the kensington neighborhood is also close by and has some nice places, though not really what i would call "sports bars"

pm me if you want some more in depth info on places around there, i will be happy to tell you what i know :)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
there are a ton of awesome bars on stehphen ave (8th ave) which are easily within walking distance of that hotel. the kensington neighborhood is also close by and has some nice places, though not really what i would call "sports bars"

pm me if you want some more in depth info on places around there, i will be happy to tell you what i know :)

Kensington is another awesome area to hang out in.

Stephen Ave used to creep me out a little after dark, as far too many undesirable people (drug addicts) would emerge. This was back in 2006-08, so hopefully the city has cracked down on that (no pun intended).

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
My favorite places in Calgary:

1. Red Mile (17th Ave SW)
2. Kensington Village
3. Stephen Avenue (8 Ave SW)

Whatever your decision, there should be quite the party Wednesday, when the Flames eliminate Vancouver.

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you to those who offered advice.
Ended up at the unicorn, where I met a nice waitress originally from Winnipeg :) unfortunately we seemed to be the only ones there paying attention to the game, and a band was playing so they stopped playing the sound after the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad