StubHub - Checking for bogus tickets

Number18

May 8, 2012
Grabbed four tix on StubHub for Jan 6 vs Columbus. They certainly look legit but I'm paranoid. Anyone have any idea how to check to see if they're valid or not? StubHub has a great guarantee, but it would stink to get to the turnstiles with my kids only to be told they're fakes.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Anyone with a brain knows its stupid to sell fake tickets in stubhub.

Before you sell, they need your credit card information. And if the buyer claims they're fake, stubhub will track the seller down.

Don't worry, Paranoid Parrot.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
You don't need to worry about getting fakes through stubhub. It's a very reputable site. Even in the extremely unlikely event that you can't get in, just call them and they'll sort everything out for you.

I have my tickets and I'm at the event, but I can't get into the venue.

We have an excellent Trust and Safety team dedicated to preventing problems just like this. If you can't get into the venue because there is something wrong with the tickets, call us immediately at 1.866.STUBHUB (1.866.788.2482). Our Customer Service team will immediately start working on finding you tickets that are as good as, or better than, the ones you bought. If for some reason they're unsuccessful, you will get a full refund, including service and delivery fees.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Stubhub is ridiculously accommodating. Last summer I had bought 6 bleachers tickets for a Yankees game for friends and I (18 dollars each). The day before the game, I check and the tickets still aren't available. Of course, I freaked out because there were people depending on me to go (it was a friend group that hadn't been together in awhile). I called them up and their representative assured me he'd figure something out. Long story short, he comped us field level seats (asking me if it was okay for us to take 70 dollar tickets, haha).

If you have tickets, I would not worry. Like RB62 said, if you have the number, they'll have you covered.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Stubhub is my favorite ticket site. Very nice Customer Service and never ever had a problem with fakes there. Always print my tix out as soon as they email me my codes and such, no problems at any of the 12 or 13 NHL venues I've been to.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Stubhub is my favorite ticket site. Very nice Customer Service and never ever had a problem with fakes there. Always print my tix out as soon as they email me my codes and such, no problems at any of the 12 or 13 NHL venues I've been to.
subtle brag.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Sold a pair of tix on stubhub last year at a very high price.

I asked Stubhub if the demand was so high that my tix sold.

The rep related the following story:

He said, a buyer bought seats and the seller failed to deliver the tix. Stubhub's policy is to offer the buyer equal or better seats to honor their commitment. Thus, they paid up for my seats to accommodate the buyer.

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
StubBub is the only place I buy tix. Refunded mine last year when the price changed on them no questions asked.

Number18

May 8, 2012
Thanks folks. I'm really impressed with StubHub. Way easy to deal with and they get raves for really solid customer service. Definitely my new go-to for tickets. Ticketmaster can bite me.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks folks. I'm really impressed with StubHub. Way easy to deal with and they get raves for really solid customer service. Definitely my new go-to for tickets. Ticketmaster can bite me.

Not sure I understand this line of thinking. You are paranoid that the tickets are fake, but knocking ticketmaster? I have NEVER heard of anyone getting fake tickets through ticketmaster. You can also buy from the team ticketexchange, those are always 100% legit.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I usually browse here for tickets first and then I'll go to Stubhub. At least tickets should be sold at face value here.

I bought tickets here like three times and then when I bought a mini plan the past two years I got referred to someone by someone here.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Not sure I understand this line of thinking. You are paranoid that the tickets are fake, but knocking ticketmaster? I have NEVER heard of anyone getting fake tickets through ticketmaster. You can also buy from the team ticketexchange, those are always 100% legit.

Well, it'd be nice if you choose the section you're buying instead of constantly asking TicketBastard to present you single pairs of tickets.

Of course your not getting fake tickets from them, but it also takes forever to find tickets you want.

KreiMeARiver*

I used to hate stubhub (even though I used them), but I've gone to some really ridiculous events (US Open Men's Final, front row Steely Dan, etc. etc.) and purchased tickets a few hours before the event.

Their customer service really is excellent, and you shouldn't worry about having fake tickets.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Well, it'd be nice if you choose the section you're buying instead of constantly asking TicketBastard to present you single pairs of tickets.

Of course your not getting fake tickets from them, but it also takes forever to find tickets you want.

Ticketmaster has an interactive seating map where you could pick where you want to sit. They also have TM+ now which puts the resale listings on the map as well.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Ticketmaster has an interactive seating map where you could pick where you want to sit. They also have TM+ now which puts the resale listings on the map as well.

Is it like Stubhub where you can click on specific sections you want and it lists the tickets in those sections?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

You obviously haven't used ticketmaster in a long time. They have the virtual map for most venues and you can pick your specific seats.

KreiMeARiver*

The whole secondary ticket market is essentially legalized scalping. StubHub has lobbied hard (and won) to keep what they do legal. I think the site is great, but if you don't think they have tons of people picking off tickets from ticketmaster or wherever then selling them as "individuals" at double the price + huge fee...then you've been hanging out with Mayor Rob Ford too much, lately.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The whole secondary ticket market is essentially legalized scalping. StubHub has lobbied hard (and won) to keep what they do legal. I think the site is great, but if you don't think they have tons of people picking off tickets from ticketmaster or wherever then selling them as "individuals" at double the price + huge fee...then you've been hanging out with Mayor Rob Ford too much, lately.

I could believe that has been true.
That parially explains why teams have gone to "Dynamic Pricing" across the board.
If anyone tried to buy Ranger individual game tickets from Ticketmaster they know that those prices almost mirror the Secondary Markey (Stubhub) now.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

This really isn't true. Most events do not have the demand to warrant such a profit. Secondly, you can usually find better prices and deals on stub hub as opposed to ticketmaster. Ticketmaster charges full box-office price, plus fees. Stubhub is filled with season ticket holders selling tickets, and their cost is usually significantly lower than the individual box office price. I have gone to see the Giants and Rangers on the road many times over the past 10 years. Since stubhub has come about, I think I have only bought one game on ticketmaster. And, I am the type who will choose tickets, and go through process all the way to the end to see what my final cost is, compare it on each site and then purchase the cheaper price. The Dallas Cowboys for example, mark-up for individual games almost double. When I went there in 2010 for Giants-Cowboys, I bought tickets on stubhub for $88 each (after fees). Seller received about $65 each. When I got the tickets, price listed was $50 each. Seller made $15 per ticket, but the equivalent seats on ticketmaster would have cost me over $100 each.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Secondly, considering scalping is no longer illegal unless you are doing it near the venue, then there really is no such thing a "legalized scalping."

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The single best site is Seat Geek. It collates many sites and finds where you can buy the cheapest tickets for a particular game/venue.

****You do not buy the seats through Seat Geek, it re-routes you to the site where the seats are being offered the cheapest****

I coordinate a huge Jets tailgate every year and buy upwards of 15-20 seats. Seat Geek saves me money almost every time.

Again, it's a free service, you do not buy the tickets through the site it's basically a search engine to find the cheapest tickets.

Most times Stub-Hub is the best option and they are fantastic to work with. Their customer service is beyond reproach whenever I have dealt with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad