Player Discussion Stuart Skinner Signs ELC | 05-14-2018

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We’ve got a lot of goalie’s under contract going into next year.

I think Skinner has 1 year of JR left--I could be wrong--so that pushes his contract by one year

here are our G's signed

Skinner, Stuart
Starrett, Shane
Wells, Dylan
Ellis, Nick
Koskinen, Mikko
Montoya, Al
Talbot, Cam

7 goalies 6 spots

Ellis is a RFA who may let walk

I could see the Oilers moviing Starrett, Wells and or Ellis at the draft for something like a 5th to a 7th pick

Maybe we get lucky we move Montoya and maybe get a 5th pick for out 4th investment--I doubt it but you never know

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m curious to see what the Oilers do with Skinner and Dylan Wells. Both have one year remaining of junior eligibility. They have six goalies under contract: Cam Talbot, Mikko Koskinen, Al Montoya, Shane Starrett, Skinner and Wells. I presume they won’t resign pending UFA, Laurent Brossoit, but will qualify RFA Nick Ellis so that gives them seven goalies. I could see one of Skinner or Wells being the starter in the ECHL and the other going back to junior. You rarely want two rookie goalies on your ECHL team, especially when both are 20 years old (Skinner turns 20 on November 1st), so I’d guess one of them goes back to junior unless they make another goalie move. I’d lean towards it being Wells, considering Skinner has produced better stats in junior.

Kevin Woodley from In Goal Magazine feels there could be a market for Al Montoya, if the Oilers explore a trade. “We often see the backup carousel, and if a team doesn’t land a veteran I could see them interested in Montoya,” said Woodley. Would the Oilers be better off keeping Montoya and hope he clears waivers, instead of trading him? If Koskinen doesn’t play well, they have no other option. I think their best strategy will be to keep Montoya and hope he clears waivers.

Gregors latest articl

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
I’m curious to see what the Oilers do with Skinner and Dylan Wells. Both have one year remaining of junior eligibility. They have six goalies under contract: Cam Talbot, Mikko Koskinen, Al Montoya, Shane Starrett, Skinner and Wells. I presume they won’t resign pending UFA, Laurent Brossoit, but will qualify RFA Nick Ellis so that gives them seven goalies. I could see one of Skinner or Wells being the starter in the ECHL and the other going back to junior. You rarely want two rookie goalies on your ECHL team, especially when both are 20 years old (Skinner turns 20 on November 1st), so I’d guess one of them goes back to junior unless they make another goalie move. I’d lean towards it being Wells, considering Skinner has produced better stats in junior.

Kevin Woodley from In Goal Magazine feels there could be a market for Al Montoya, if the Oilers explore a trade. “We often see the backup carousel, and if a team doesn’t land a veteran I could see them interested in Montoya,” said Woodley. Would the Oilers be better off keeping Montoya and hope he clears waivers, instead of trading him? If Koskinen doesn’t play well, they have no other option. I think their best strategy will be to keep Montoya and hope he clears waivers.

Gregors latest articl
I agree let him battle it out with the Koskinen. If koskinen plays well, it no big deal if he gets picked up off waivers but if he doesnt we have Montoya.

Reactions: Cypress

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think Skinner has 1 year of JR left--I could be wrong--so that pushes his contract by one year

here are our G's signed

Skinner, Stuart
Starrett, Shane
Wells, Dylan
Ellis, Nick
Koskinen, Mikko
Montoya, Al
Talbot, Cam

7 goalies 6 spots

I could see the Oilers moviing Starrett, Wells and or Ellis at the draft for something like a 5th to a 7th pick

Maybe we get lucky we move Montoya and maybe get a 5th pick for out 4th investment--I doubt it but you never know
You are wrong about Skinner, he's a late 98 birthday so his contract wouldn't slide if he returned to junior. Also it doesn't make much sense to move Wells specifically for a late pick, he's already outperformed his draft position so there's no reason to reset that. Keep him around and see what his next couple years of development look like.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm starting to think one of Wells or Skinner will be backup in the AHL and the other the starter in the ECHL.

I think Montoya will be traded in the offseason and I don't think Brossoit will be back. I wouldn't even be surprised if Ellis isn't retained. It's really not that unusual for a team to let a 24 year old goalie who put up numbers like his go.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm starting to think one of Wells or Skinner will be backup in the AHL and the other the starter in the ECHL.

I think Montoya will be traded in the offseason and I don't think Brossoit will be back. I wouldn't even be surprised if Ellis isn't retained. It's really not that unusual for a team to let a 24 year old goalie who put up numbers like his go.
Don't forget about Shane Starett, he's under contract and had a good year splitting between the AHL and ECHL last year. My guess is that Wells is back in the OHL for his overage season, Skinner starts as the #1 guy in the ECHL and Montoya/Ellis and Starett are the guys in Bakersfield. I think they'll qualify Ellis just because of the risk of losing Montoya on waivers, if they don't qualify Ellis and Montoya is lost all the sudden you're in a situation where Starett or Skinner is your #3 goalie or you're stuck spending more assets on a #3 goalie.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

here are our G's signed

Skinner, Stuart
Starrett, Shane
Wells, Dylan
Ellis, Nick
Koskinen, Mikko
Montoya, Al
Talbot, Cam

7 goalies 6 spots

I believe Skinner has 1 year of junior eligibility left, but I get the feeling the organization would prefer to have him turn pro next year.

I also think Ellis is re-signed, plus there's Brossoit (pending UFA). If I had to guess:

NHL Goalies:

Talbot
Koskinen

AHL Goalies:

Ellis
Starrett

ECHL Goalies:

Wells
Skinner

Other:

Montoya (traded this summer)
Brossoit (not re-signed)

Reactions: MessierII

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't forget about Shane Starett, he's under contract and had a good year splitting between the AHL and ECHL last year. My guess is that Wells is back in the OHL for his overage season, Skinner starts as the #1 guy in the ECHL and Montoya/Ellis and Starett are the guys in Bakersfield. I think they'll qualify Ellis just because of the risk of losing Montoya on waivers, if they don't qualify Ellis and Montoya is lost all the sudden you're in a situation where Starett or Skinner is your #3 goalie or you're stuck spending more assets on a #3 goalie.

I think there's almost zero chance Wells is back in the OHL. Teams don't really send goalies back for overage seasons anymore.

If it's Ellis/Starrett in Bako, I think you'll see Skinner and Wells splitting time in the ECHL or one them being loaned to another ECHL to start there.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I believe Skinner has 1 year of junior eligibility left, but I get the feeling the organization would prefer to have him turn pro next year.

I also think Ellis is re-signed, plus there's Brossoit (pending UFA). If I had to guess:

NHL Goalies:

Talbot
Koskinen

AHL Goalies:

Ellis
Starrett

ECHL Goalies:

Wells
Skinner

Other:

Montoya (traded this summer)
Brossoit (not re-signed)

That would be foolish to trade Montoya. If Koskinen or Talbot get injured Ellis is our back-up. If Koskinen does not pan out and cannot provide relief for 20 games we are also in trouble.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That would be foolish to trade Montoya. If Koskinen or Talbot get injured Ellis is our back-up. If Koskinen does not pan out and cannot provide relief for 20 games we are also in trouble.

Assuming there's a trade market for Montoya, you're then just giving him away for free on waivers unless you want to run with three goalies on the roster.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's foolish to trade a young goalie who looks good because another young goalie appears to have greater potential. As good as Skinner has been they usually don't achieve their potential. Keep them all and maybe you have an NHL starter or backup in the group.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
4th rounder going out for a 5th rounder coming in *plus* having a competent backup for the last half of the season.

Or he clears waivers and the team has a somewhat competent back up in the minors in case of injury up top. With the cost being a very low percentage draft pick, there’s nothing wrong with this move.

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Or he clears waivers and the team has a somewhat competent back up in the minors in case of injury up top. With the cost being a very low percentage draft pick, there’s nothing wrong with this move.

IKR. At least I'll give the anti-Chia crowd credits for consistency. Criticize every move all the time. Apropos of nothing to do with facts. It was very clear at the time of the trade the Oilers needed a backup goalie. Somehow people thought they could do it with a waiver pickup.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
IKR. At least I'll give the anti-Chia crowd credits for consistency. Criticize every move all the time. Apropos of nothing to do with facts. It was very clear at the time of the trade the Oilers needed a backup goalie. Somehow people thought they could do it with a waiver pickup.

I’m pretty anti Chia myself. This move doesn’t bother me in the least, though. I liked the extra year for this very reason.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’m pretty anti Chia myself. This move doesn’t bother me in the least, though. I liked the extra year for this very reason.

There's a line between reasonable criticisms and all attack all the time.

I think Chia has made some mistakes, but really believe he deserves another year. Even if Chia gets fired in the next year he is leaving the prospect pool much stronger than it has been in over a decade. You'll never hear that from any of the #FIRECHIA crowd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->