strungout's Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
I usually don't do these but being I'm completly bored beyond belief tonight at work so I put one together with the top 14 set draft picks.

Opinions and Bashings are indeed welcome!! :D

2004 NHL Mock Draft

#1 Washington - Alexander Ovechkin
The Capitals take the best player of the draft. No question on who to select…the only question is to keep the pick or not. Depends on the return but I doubt the pick is traded.

#2 Pittsburgh - Evgeni Malkin
They don’t get Ovechkin…but Malkin will help the Penguins down the line. Not only does he have the skills…he has room to grow and become more of a force at the next level.

#3 Chicago - Cam Barker
Here’s where the fun begins. Chicago doesn’t really need to draft defense here…but they go for the best player on the board. Barker could become an elite blue line player in the NHL…he has all the tools. Babchuk and Seabrooke are already in the fold and provide the size needed for the defenvise corps…Barker brings the offense and the game breaking skill that could give Chicago one of the most feared young defenses in the NHL in about 2-3 years. Other players will be available here…but the Hawks go with the sure thing.

# 4 Columbus - Rob Schremp
Tons of talent…tons of baggage. If Schremp plays without the attitude the Blue Jackets find themselves with an impact center to someday work between the likes of Nash and Zherdev. Olesz could be an option but take the attitude over the injury. They want Barker…but settle for Schremp.

#5 Phoenix - Rostislav Olesz
Although concussion is an issue and the reason for his fall…Phoenix gets a player they cannot pass up at #5. Already with a lot of depth at center…I still don’t see the Yotes passing on this guy at this spot.

# 6 NY Rangers - Wojtek Wolski
Ahh….The Rangers. Last year it was Jessman…this year it will be Wolski. Ladd is probably the best player to take at this spot but I see the Rangers going for some size and thinking they are getting a future power forward (which Wolski is not). I just see this as a spot where the Rangers take the wrong player for what they need. Sorry NY fans.

# 7 Florida - Andrew Ladd
I still think Florida had the best first round last year in getting Stewart and Horton. And this time they get another winger with a big upside in Ladd. Great pick for the Panthers.

# 8 Carolina – Wes O’Neill
Defense, Defense, and more Defense. The Canes indeed get some needed defense at this pick with the member of the Fighting Irish squad. O’Neill has great size and will get better over time. Some may think goalie here…but I think it too high to take anyone from this draft.

# 9 Anaheim - AJ Thelen
The Ducks go with defense as well and pick the MUS blue liner. He’s a big kid, with room to grow and develop into his huge 6’3 210 lb frame. Thelen brings a bit more offense than O’Neill but may not be as steady defensivly in the long run.

# 10 Atlanta – Alexandre Picard
Left Winger with a upside that could make him a steal at 10. Could go defense or goalie at this spot (O’Neill and Thelen would be ideal but gone at this point and it most likey too soon to pick Mike Green)…I don’t see the Trashers passing on this talent. He would make a great compliment to Ilya and Heatley down the line. I think they take a risk with this pick…and a good one.

#11 Los Angeles - Alvaro Montoya
If there was ever a team in need of some young goaltending talent…it’s the Kings. They take the best goalie on the board at this pick…and it’s the first goalie taken of the day in Montoya.

#12 Minnesota – Lauri Tukonen
Minnesota needs scoring but needs a player that will still play a solid two way game. Can’t go wrong at this pick with Tukonen. Big skilled Finnish forward would fit right into the style of play Minnesota likes to teach and play.

#13 Buffalo – Mike Green
Buffalo goes D with this pick. He might not be the best player available at this spot (Stafford, Chipchura, Radulov, Salmonsson) but he’s a position that the Sabers are going to want to upgrade with the possible departure of Zhitnik and others.

# 14 Edmonton - Marek Schwarz
I think the Oilers would want to go with some defense here…but I don’t think they could pass on Schwarz. It would be ideal to pick a player that could put the puck in the net or a blue liner that could move the puck…but this Goalie just cannot be passed at this point.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I like seeing Olesz fall to Phoenix, but is he a center? I was under the impression he played wing.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
PhoPhan said:
I like seeing Olesz fall to Phoenix, but is he a center? I was under the impression he played wing.

I'm pretty sure he is a center.

I don't see Tukonen out of the top 10 (both Phoenix and Florida are strongly interested in him), also O'Neill is too high IMO.

Good job btw

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fighter said:
I'm pretty sure he is a center.

I don't see Tukonen out of the top 10 (both Phoenix and Florida are strongly interested in him), also O'Neill is too high IMO.

Good job btw

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that Phoenix is strongly interested in Tukonen?

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Ahh….The Rangers. Last year it was Jessman…this year it will be Wolski. Ladd is probably the best player to take at this spot but I see the Rangers going for some size and thinking they are getting a future power forward (which Wolski is not). I just see this as a spot where the Rangers take the wrong player for what they need. Sorry NY fans.

umm whats with that BS? can't remember when the rangers took a bad player since sathers been here. "The rangers take the wrong player for what they need" give me a break. this is a mock draft not a slam rangers draft, if you wanna write bs like this take it to an islanders board, jeeze pathetic

May 1, 2003
Visit site
nice job,
2 things though, i do think Barker is the best player at the 3rd spot but i dont think the Chicago Blackhawks will draft him i see them going for Schremp or Olesz

2nd thing i dont think that Tukonen will fall past the 10th spot, theres just to much talent there, but hey anything can happen on draft day
Good job with the mockdraft

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Hoot said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you know that Phoenix is strongly interested in Tukonen?

I read somewhere that Gretzky likes flashy forwards such as Tukonen. He would fit well in the Yotes system IMO.

Safir*

strungout said:
I usually don't do these but being I'm completly bored beyond belief tonight at work so I put one together with the top 14 set draft picks.

Opinions and Bashings are indeed welcome!! :D

2004 NHL Mock Draft

# 10 Atlanta ? Alexandre Picard
Left Winger with a upside that could make him a steal at 10. Could go defense or goalie at this spot (O?Neill and Thelen would be ideal but gone at this point and it most likey too soon to pick Mike Green)?I don?t see the Trashers passing on this talent. He would make a great compliment to Ilya and Heatley down the line. I think they take a risk with this pick?and a good one.
That's a solid pick. I really have no idea, how to rank Picard, O'Neill, Thelen, Stafford and Green.

BTW the Thrashers will NOT take a goalie in the 1st round. They are settled with Lethonen (franchise goalie), Pasi and Hurme plus they got Garnett (solid NHL goalie)!

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
TomACE said:
That's a solid pick. I really have no idea, how to rank Picard, O'Neill, Thelen, Stafford and Green.

BTW the Thrashers will NOT take a goalie in the 1st round. They are settled with Lethonen (franchise goalie), Pasi and Hurme plus they got Garnett (solid NHL goalie)!

I don't think Picard fits Atlanta. They need more of a playmaker for between Heatley and Kovalchuk, whereas Picard is more of a finisher.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Your mock draft is OK, but I have one question...

What the bloody (hot place where sinners go) is the deal with everyone and his brother only doing a top ten, or top 14?

If you're gonna do a mock, at least do the whole first round.

:mad:

PrussianBlue

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
PrussianBlue said:
Your mock draft is OK, but I have one question...

What the bloody (hot place where sinners go) is the deal with everyone and his brother only doing a top ten, or top 14?

If you're gonna do a mock, at least do the whole first round.

:mad:

PrussianBlue

The reason why is that the other picks after that are not set and can change based on playoff performance.

Safir*

PhoPhan said:
I don't think Picard fits Atlanta. They need more of a playmaker for between Heatley and Kovalchuk, whereas Picard is more of a finisher.

Firstly, FYI Heatley and Kovalchuk are hardly playing together (only on special teams.) With 10th overall Atlanta will either pick a "home-run" or "a strike out".

Second, I'm positive about that Robbie Schremp will slip a lot á la Hudler or O'Sullivan in recent years and Don Waddell should step up and select with the Thrashers first choice.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
TomACE said:
Firstly, FYI Heatley and Kovalchuk are hardly playing together (only on special teams.) With 10th overall Atlanta will either pick a "home-run" or "a strike out".

Second, I'm positive about that Robbie Schremp will slip a lot á la Hudler or O'Sullivan in recent years and Don Waddell should step up and select with the Thrashers first choice.
Even so, Heatley and Kovalchuk are two of the best finishers in the league. There are more important needs to address, are there not?

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
Atlanta needs offensive skill guys - playmakers and finishers. We need them both and will take the best available player with our pick. True, Heatley and Kovalchuk are great goalscorers, but after those two, we have nothing. Anaheim proved throughout the 90s that two great wingers get you nowhere.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
borro said:
The reason why is that the other picks after that are not set and can change based on playoff performance.

OK, I'll buy that... but there ahve been others doing the full first round. Even if you're not 100% accurate in who's picking where, do it anyway. I for one really enjoy seeing the differing opinions as to who the Blues ought to be picking in the first round.

PrussianBlue :blues

Skroob*

strungout said:

Well, thank you for your unbiased opinion, but i think well take someone else, thank you.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
PhoPhan said:
Why don't you try putting one together?

I'm already participating in one. Add to that the fact that I don't know anywhere near enough about everyone else's needs to intelligently analyze what 30 GM's might individually consider "the best player available," and you have your answer.

More power to those who believe they have that much insight, and as I said, I'm not here to criticize anyone else's efforts in doing the mock drafts. I know enough to be aware of my limitations, and my only complaint is that I'd like to see more people go all the way through the first round so as to get a better idea of who other people think the Blues should take. That's my main interest.

I can give you my list of whom I think are the 30 best players available, and match those up with the teams in order, but if it's all right with you, I'll wait until after the mock draft that I'm participating in, so as not to tip my hand.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
PrussianBlue said:
I'm already participating in one. Add to that the fact that I don't know anywhere near enough about everyone else's needs to intelligently analyze what 30 GM's might individually consider "the best player available," and you have your answer.

More power to those who believe they have that much insight, and as I said, I'm not here to criticize anyone else's efforts in doing the mock drafts. I know enough to be aware of my limitations, and my only complaint is that I'd like to see more people go all the way through the first round so as to get a better idea of who other people think the Blues should take. That's my main interest.

I can give you my list of whom I think are the 30 best players available, and match those up with the teams in order, but if it's all right with you, I'll wait until after the mock draft that I'm participating in, so as not to tip my hand.

Fair enough.

CoolDude*

So you think that you're smarter than the New York Rangers Organization?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
strungout said:

You should be sorry. Sather has drafted 39 players for the Rangers. Not one plyaer has come from the OHL, though two Euro prospects did go to the "O" after being drafted. Sather hasn't taken an OHL player with a first since Bonsignore(94) & Devereaux(96). If he has to chose between Wolski & Ladd, who do you think he'll take?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad