Strudwick and Gregor talk about Leadership on the team

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I'm sure there are super cool guys like Hendricks who are fun in the locker room. I can see guys like him keeping it light when you're on a grueling road trip.

I just think it's a lot easier to buy in when you have a good team. We all have to work with people we don't like, but if things aren't going well, then all of the differences or rivalries get exaggerated.

I mean your point with Lucic just proves my point. He was said to be a great leader when he came to the Oilers and they made the playoffs. Then the team blows for the next couple of years and suddenly maybe he's not as great in the room as we all thought.

I'm not sure it's all about "keeping it light" and being "supercool". He probably helped make guys accountable. There's a lot of little things these vets and good leaders do that are very underrated. Simple things that may seem like to fans have negligible effects like having a sit down and talk with players. A lot of these little dynamics add up to a lot.

You know Looch could have been a decent leadership figure the first year and because of the circumstances i mentioned tailed off and wasn't that same guy. Like i said you're thinking is too black and white. People can change under circumstances. It's not just the perception of him being a great leader because we were successful and then a bad one when we sucked. He was likely both a good leader the first year and likely maybe not so much the following years when he was dealing with the issues and losing his "game". Once in a while these things happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad