Strudwick and Gregor talk about Leadership on the team

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Age is overrated as far as leadership is concerned.

You want to tell me we have the wrong mix, or that players arent ready, or the room isn't vocal/upbeat enough and misses its Hendricks type bubbly personality, or whatever else the case may be, fine, but younger men can be leaders just as easily as older guys cannot be.

If you want to say the Oilers need more experience in the form of guys that can actually contribute then I'm all for it but the older "leadership" group has been letting this team down since the likes of Horcoff and Moreau, and the last couple years are absolutely no exception.

Age may be overrated but experience is not. Good experience. I don't think he meant for people to get caught up in older is better. Just that the room needs guys who can draw from past good experiences in the NHL that can help the younger guys or help build the culture of the team.

Obviously that doesn't mean player A who's 29 with more experience is going to be a better "leadership" figure in the room than player B who's 25 or 26 year old who may be more mature, has been mentored by better leaders in his past and who is more a natural leader and maybe a better guy in general.

I'm not sure it's fair to put all the blame on Horc and Moreau etc for the past failures of the culture and "leadership". A lot of it lies with the youngsters they try to lead but maybe won't listen and the organization for not setting the youngsters straight. Leadership definitely needed to be better from the Owner, GM, etc down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Experience and leadership are two different things. Experience one gains over time. Leadership is a trait you have or you don’t. Age may get you experience but it doesn’t make one a leader. However experience can make a leader better.

I think Leadership ability is something that can grow with experience.

I also dont believe that all leaders are born...I think that it is something that can forged (usually by adversity) over time.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
A 20year old leader in CHL is great but might not be ideal in NHL. Imagining Marleau or Tavares giving his team heck after a loss is much easier than McDavid rallying a squad full of grown experienced men

I'd argue that a good leader likely has created a group culture in which you don't need to "give the team heck" after every loss. I don't think anyone wants to lose, or is satisfied by it. In fact, I'd argue that any leader that needs to light a fire under the ass of his group for them to show a baseline level of commitment required for success is probably a shite leader and shouldn't be within a stones throw of that position in the first place.

But what do I know...

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately not having good leaders have plagued this organization for over a decade. Management and to a large extent the fans keep buying into the age and experience as what makes a veteran leader, however all the organization has done is bring in bottom-6 forwards and bottom pairing d-men who are well past their prime and wonder why it rarely works out. The last great veteran we had led us to a Stanley Cup final, 13 years ago. Looking around the divison they've had the Giordanos, Fleurys, Thorntons, Getzlafs. We're going into the season with like, Sheahan and Chaisson.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
After Lucic comments about having an older captain and looking back at mcdavids interview about certain players not wanting to play here and should just leave. Them you hear how lucic was hard on guy like puljujarvi it really m.j takes you wonder who the problem might of been.

I mean look around the league it has become a young Man's game were before you rarely made difference until late 20s early 30s.

I think the room might be rid of some cancers and might have better attitude moving forward and McDavid is always growing.

I defo like the direction made over the summer. Yes we are missing pieces still but don't have much to work with in regards space. We see how it goes through out the season and next summer really can turn it around

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unfortunately not having good leaders have plagued this organization for over a decade. Management and to a large extent the fans keep buying into the age and experience as what makes a veteran leader, however all the organization has done is bring in bottom-6 forwards and bottom pairing d-men who are well past their prime and wonder why it rarely works out. The last great veteran we had led us to a Stanley Cup final, 13 years ago. Looking around the divison they've had the Giordanos, Fleurys, Thorntons, Getzlafs. We're going into the season with like, Sheahan and Chaisson.
Not having enough talent has plagued us far more than not having a good leader.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Leadership ability is something that can grow with experience.

I also dont believe that all leaders are born...I think that it is something that can forged (usually by adversity) over time.

Leaders that are forged have the trait already. Most people are content to be followers. But the traits of leadership are often found in professional athletes. Some are more natural at it than others as is the case.

The US Military has interesting scenarios of how they “test” who has inherent leadership qualities, too much to get into in a hockey post, but something to discuss at our next Oilers game!

Speaking of which did I read somewhere here that you moved to BC?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Age may be overrated but experience is not. Good experience. I don't think he meant for people to get caught up in older is better. Just that the room needs guys who can draw from past good experiences in the NHL that can help the younger guys or help build the culture of the team.

Obviously that doesn't mean player A who's 29 with more experience is going to be a better "leadership" figure in the room than player B who's 25 or 26 year old who may be more mature, has been mentored by better leaders in his past and who is more a natural leader and maybe a better guy in general.

I'm not sure it's fair to put all the blame on Horc and Moreau etc for the past failures of the culture and "leadership". A lot of it lies with the youngsters they try to lead but maybe won't listen and the organization for not setting the youngsters straight. Leadership definitely needed to be better from the Owner, GM, etc down.

That's more or less what I said, yes.

Horc and Moreau are emblematic of this organization's obsession with past their prime, washed up vets that they keep around for their "leadership" abilities.

Lucic was brought in for his leadership as well, and as Rod Pedersen put it yesterday, he couldn't lead water down a drain. Brodziak was a shell of his former self. Kris Russell is serviceable and not what's wrong with this team, but he's making double what's he's worth in the name of leadership and physicality.

The young core is doing it's thing just fine for this team, the marginal guys by and large sucked, but guys that were brought in to bring leadership and stability fell on their faces last year and got their lunch money taken by a guy that came in here on a PTO and a motivated Kassian that earned his shot.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
After Lucic comments about having an older captain and looking back at mcdavids interview about certain players not wanting tibbebtgerevand and should just leave. Them you hear how lucic was hard on guy like puljujarvi it really m.j takes you wonder who the problem might of been.

I mean look around the league it has become a young Man's game were before you rarely made difference until late 20s early 30s.

I think the room might be rid of some cancers and might have better attitude moving forward and McDavid is always growing.

I defo like the direction made over the summer. Yes we are missing pieces still but don't have much to work with in regards space. We see how it goes through out the season and next summer really can turn it around

Not sure if bless you, stroke, or you've endeavoured to summon the Dark Lord.

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Leaders that are forged have the trait already. Most people are content to be followers. But the traits of leadership are often found in professional athletes. Some are more natural at it than others as is the case.

The US Military has interesting scenarios of how they “test” who has inherent leadership qualities, too much to get into in a hockey post, but something to discuss at our next Oilers game!

Speaking of which did I read somewhere here that you moved to BC?

That sounds interesting....count me in. :nod:

Regarding BC...my Dad is getting on in years and needs a little help. I havent moved yet...it looked like I was going to move for a while there but its on hold.
Tough driving back and forth....especially with winter not far away.

I should have been a pilot. :D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That sounds interesting....count me in. :nod:

Regarding BC...my Dad is getting on in years and needs a little help. I havent moved yet...it looked like I was going to move for a while there but its on hold.
Tough driving back and forth....especially with winter not far away.

I should have been a pilot. :D

Best of luck w your dad.

Reactions: guymez

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Leadership can come from young players, but veteran leadership is mildly different. When in life or in hockey, someone who has been there before can give you insights that you won't have until you get there. Easy reference is 1983 Oilers. All young, but experiencing the loss to the Islanders was imperative for them to move forward. There is a certain calmness when you have older leaders.

Not saying youth can't lead, but experience shouldn't be discounted.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
People are like horses. Some respond better to the whip. Some respond better to the apple.
A good leader is able to provide both, and more importantly identify who needs what.

I think it’s safe to say Conner is one of the best leader-by-example ever. We can see that by how hard he works. What we don’t know is he handles the whip and apple issue to those who aren’t self motivated enough to follow his lead.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
People are like horses. Some respond better to the whip. Some respond better to the apple.
A good leader is able to provide both, and more importantly identify who needs what.

I think it’s safe to say Conner is one of the best leader-by-example ever. We can see that by how hard he works. What we don’t know is he handles the whip and apple issue to those who aren’t self motivated enough to follow his lead.

Connor leads by example. RNH /Larsson are the apple. Drai should be the whip.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Not having enough talent has plagued us far more than not having a good leader.

It's not really only about having A good leader. it's about having good general leadership and GOOD veteran presence in the room to help the culture. it goes a long way in extracting the best out of each player on the team and having them play united. these are human beings who need to feel comfortable in their environment and interactions with their peers. if there is discord or even if it's not a very united team it can make a massive difference in performance and how invested they are and how much they want to buy in and fight for each other.

hockey is a very skilled sport no doubt but it's also a very emotional one and if the team is not as "into it" or feel united it will have huge impacts on the results and performance.

Reactions: guymez

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
That's more or less what I said, yes.

Horc and Moreau are emblematic of this organization's obsession with past their prime, washed up vets that they keep around for their "leadership" abilities.

Lucic was brought in for his leadership as well, and as Rod Pedersen put it yesterday, he couldn't lead water down a drain. Brodziak was a shell of his former self. Kris Russell is serviceable and not what's wrong with this team, but he's making double what's he's worth in the name of leadership and physicality.

The young core is doing it's thing just fine for this team, the marginal guys by and large sucked, but guys that were brought in to bring leadership and stability fell on their faces last year and got their lunch money taken by a guy that came in here on a PTO and a motivated Kassian that earned his shot.

ya, that's why i had always mentioned that they should try and bring in good vets who can bring some experience and leadership and still play at a reasonable level. i begged for this in the summer of 2017 after the playoff run. i would have traded young prospects for a couple or few of these vets because imo i think the org may be spinning their wheels with a lot of fwd prospects (other than a few "can't miss" high picks) because they don't have good fwd vets to help them along and help them gain confidence and tell them what to expect and what it's all about on the ice, off the ice, habits, sleep, eating etc et cetc... how to manage and conduct themselves. we forget that these are teenagers and kids in their early 20s. most of them NEED good mentoring on and off the ice. and i think the org has failed them in these aspects. i do think it's a big part of the reason we can't seem to draft or develop players. are we really drafting the wrong players or are we just doing a complete s*** job at developing them? probably a mix of the two.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
So glad we got Neal, Looch was supposed to teach Connor how to captain and he failed. Neal will call out Connor and make him better.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Leadership starts with management, and coaches.
Then trickles down to players. Just like any organization, just like any business.

The values and integrity an organization has and upholds will be the values and integrity the players will be required to uphold if they wish to succeed in an organization.

When you have the worst management group in the NHL, it's easy to see it being the worst leadership group within the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->