Dreger: "Strong Interest" in Tyler Bozak

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Very likely that Benning will make an offer. I just don't see us running with Sutter as our 2C next year unless we're seriously making that push for Jack Hughes...
Fine by me. Means Benning doesn't overpay for Bozak and Van makes a push for Jack Hughes to pair with his brother especially with the draft in Van next year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Bozak is a good middle six C who can provide some scoring. Probably whoever loses out on JT will be hard and heavy on him. 5 x 4.5-5m

Bozak was awful last season, and he was in a sheltered role. He really took a step back and whoever signs him will definitely regret it by mid season.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I've never understood all the hate for Bozak.

He is what he is. A 2/3 centre with some offensive talent and decent faceoff skills.

He is nowhere close to a 2C, and a contending team shouldn't have him as a 3C. He'll help you in the shootout and a bit on the power play. That's all to reasonably expect from him at this point.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
So, I guess we know that Dreger has connections with Bozak's agency.

This type of "rumour" is so obviously meant to pump the value of the player...

He’s arguably the third best Center on the market, why wouldn’t he have multiple teams interested?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He’s arguably the third best Center on the market, why wouldn’t he have multiple teams interested?
He might have, but Dreger is almost certainly sending this message out after getting the "tip" from Bozak's agents. I'm pretty sure teams aren't contacting Dreger and saying, "Guess what, we have a strong interest in Bozak. Just thought you'd like to let the world know."

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Not sure how I feel about this...perhaps a cheaper option than Stastny given the likely UFA madness? I don't like his age, like Stastny, and the possibility of handing out a multi-year deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. Give him top 6 minutes and slot with Pacioretty and he'll produce. Pacioretty has yet to play alongside a right handed C. He's .60+ point per game guy, good at face-offs and playmaking. I'd honestly throw 6 mil x 4 at him which brings him to 36 years old. Replaces Plekanec's cap hit from last year and we upgrade in age and production.

If Canadiens can get him for 4.7-5.0M x 4 to 5 years. I would say he it will be a good deal. He's a good player if you are not expecting him to be a #1C. If you look at him as a #2 or #3c you will have no problem with him as a player. He is also a good faceoff man and Shootout player. Things that are taken for granted. His weaknesses are he is average defensively, and he sometimes takes games off. But for 4.2M for what he was paid for during his last contract. I would be less critical for this than a player making 6M+. There is a reason why there is a lot of interest in him. It's simple he is a good player. One of Burke's best player acquisitions while he was in Toronto.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
if we sign this kid I will officially join the dark side of the Benning haters.

Not f***ing interested.

Reactions: Pens x

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He's going to Colorado. I dont want him back on the leafs. I'm grown tired of his soft and non-chalant ass

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He would be a good fit for a rebuilding/tanking team.

He’s a solid vet who can put up 35-40ish points. However he is terrible defensively and a liability especially in the playoffs when you can’t hide him from line matching.

Personally I think the best fit is Vancouver as a bridge until they get Hughes down the middle. They can overpay him too.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I would expect under <5M per. Probably 4-5 years. It is actually not surprising there is strong interest in him as Dreger reports. I wonder would Rutherford reunite him with Kessel in Pittsburg and move Brassard instead?

I don't think so. They'll want to see what they have in Brassard, who wasn't 100% during the playoffs, before moving him.

Jun 27, 2005
Warning: Bozak has played almost every game centering JVR (who scores a lot) and Kessel or Marner and on the PP. His production will drop significantly if he's used like the 3rd liner that he is.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I would expect under <5M per. Probably 4-5 years. It is actually not surprising there is strong interest in him as Dreger reports. I wonder would Rutherford reunite him with Kessel in Pittsburg and move Brassard instead?

I would do it, I know the sample size is super small but I am not impressed by Brassard at all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would do it, I know the sample size is super small but I am not impressed by Brassard at all.

Bozak and Kessel were pretty good together in Toronto. They are also good friends. They were a one line team during their time there. On Pittsburg, playing as the 3rd line behind Malkin and Crosby, I have no doubt they would be a mismatch against 99% of 3rd pairing D men in the NHL. If Rutherford can make it happen it would be fun seeing them together again, this time against inferior defensive match ups.

Warning: Bozak has played almost every game centering JVR (who scores a lot) and Kessel or Marner and on the PP. His production will drop significantly if he's used like the 3rd liner that he is.

He also played with PA Parenteau who went from 8 goals to 20 the year before he played with Bozak. Bozak is a 4.2-4.7 per player. I don't think you can hold it against him if coaches decide to use JVR or Kessel with him. Since his wingers always seem to have good numbers.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Bozak is a good UFA option at center. Of course there is strong interest. He's consistent in his production, beast on face offs and is a great shootout guy. Centers are the most important position in the NHL and he's a pretty good one at that.

He will be overpaid for sure which will affect his reputation around here and being a leaf for so many years certainly doesn't help matters either , but in truth he's a great addition I hope he signs with the Avs.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
will easily be the worst UFA contract handed out this year
sucks for whichever team falls for it

Bozak is a fine player, but some team will panic and he will be grossly overpaid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad