Dreger: "Strong Interest" in Tyler Bozak

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've never understood all the hate for Bozak.

He is what he is. A 2/3 centre with some offensive talent and decent faceoff skills.

True but at this point he's over 30 akd is probably going to cash in on a big long term deal that he'll never be able to live up to and will probably be an anchor a couple years into it.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Honestly would like him in Van could be a great role model for Gaudette, in hopes Gaudette can be as good if not better than Bozak, additionally, making us a good faceoff team along the way.

Hope it's no longer than 4 years thinking 4x4.25 price tag fits the current market.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Very likely that Benning will make an offer. I just don't see us running with Sutter as our 2C next year unless we're seriously making that push for Jack Hughes...

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Makes a lot of sense for Montreal. Give him top 6 minutes and slot with Pacioretty and he'll produce. Pacioretty has yet to play alongside a right handed C. He's .60+ point per game guy, good at face-offs and playmaking. I'd honestly throw 6 mil x 4 at him which brings him to 36 years old. Replaces Plekanec's cap hit from last year and we upgrade in age and production.

This is awesome!

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I like Bozak and I wish he could stay on the Leafs for cheap. unfortunately I have a feeling he'll go out and get overpaid, sort of like the Bolland contract

Yeah, someone will definitely overpay.

Basically once Tavares and Stastny are gone, he's the big name at C. There will be a number of teams that will take a flyer on him for a 4-6 year deal.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've never understood all the hate for Bozak.

He is what he is. A 2/3 centre with some offensive talent and decent faceoff skills.

Well, he was garbage to start the year then picked it up significantly to end the year- which drove some of the hate......since his line (along with JVR) already got dominated in the playoffs prior (in terms of possession, it was historically terrible).

All in all, he's probably a below average scoring #2C, and a great offensive #3c on any team- and I wouldn't hate resigning him if the term/AAV is reasonable. Wouldn't be my first option but that's only because I highly suspect his contract will lean towards being unreasonable.

I actually think he's had a lot of unfortunate circumstances the last few years (as much as JVR probably stad-pads his scoring totals, it also hurts him significantly since they have overlapping weaknesses to some degree).

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
It feels like he's been a Leaf forever but I've never been particularly attached to him, it seems like he's just always kinda there if you know what I mean? Doing his job but never really getting your attention. Maybe it's a good thing because it means he's not out there making huge mistakes or blowing games.

*cough* Gardiner *cough*

That said it'll be one of those things where 'you don't know what you've got till its gone'. He's a dependable 3C and he's going to leave a hole in the lineup for sure.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Honestly would like him in Van could be a great role model for Gaudette, in hopes Gaudette can be as good if not better than Bozak, additionally, making us a good faceoff team along the way.

Hope it's no longer than 4 years thinking 4x4.25 price tag fits the current market.
He was making just under 4.25. Why would he be making the same? The only way, he makes the same (i.e. not a raise/increase) is if he wants to play somewhere else other than Toronto. He'll probably get 4.75 - 5 m somewhere else for around 5 yrs.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He was making just under 4.25. Why would he be making the same? The only way, he makes the same (i.e. not a raise/increase) is if he wants to play somewhere else other than Toronto. He'll probably get 4.75 - 5 m somewhere else for around 5 yrs.
I see him getting more in the 3X3 range, and probably being slightly overpaid at that. If anyone signs him for 5X5 they will be regretting it for 4.9 years or until the next compliance buyout.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If he is willing to take more money and shorter term I can definitely see the Habs going after him as a stop gap as Kotkaniemi is probably two years away from NHL and 3 before he is a legit top 6 centre. As is Poehling.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I see him getting more in the 3X3 range, and probably being slightly overpaid at that. If anyone signs him for 5X5 they will be regretting it for 4.9 years or until the next compliance buyout.
I don't disagree at all. I just am suggesting that NHL teams are always making mistakes with these decisions or overvaluing players, which they ultimately regret. Yet, they continue to do it so I think it was a safe prediction that Bozak is going to be overpaid.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Bozak is still a solid faceoff man and is a good 3C. If a team is depending on him to be a 2C they might be underwhelmed.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I wouldn't really want him back unless it was on a steep discount, maybe in the 3.5m 4 year range. I see him getting a similar deal to the one he is on now on the FA market. Underrated among Leaf fans but ultimately it's time to move on.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Bozak is a #2 to #3 centre who is more offensively (playmaker) inclined and given the clear need for centres in today's league will get overpaid. Anything over probably $5.75 million and the team will regret it.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
He would be a #3 on a good team. He shouldn't be expected to put up great offensive numbers on a regular basis if your team is counting on him being the centre on a 2nd line.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Hope the Canucks pass or get out bid, over 30, not what we need. He is going to likely want decent term as this is last chance at a big payday probably.

Hope he goes elsewhere

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
At 3x3, it's likely Toronto would resign him.

On the open market he'll make more than the 4.2 he made on his last deal. I wouldn't want anymore than a 3 yr deal though.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

So he's going to not want a raise..especially in a very thin summer for C's

A lot of you seem to forget how things work. He's not about to walk to a new team for less or the same as he's been making for years now. If he takes a discount it will be for the only team he's ever played for professionally. Why else would he uproot his wife and young son if it wasn't for a hood payday?

Not that I'm saying he will or should. It's just the reality of the situation.

Ideally he takes a cut and stays put. Or he becomes our secret evil plan to screw over the hab nots or the nucks by making them pay 6 mill per for the next 4-6 years lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->