Strome - What is holding him back from being part of the top 4?

4thliner*

Strome is a far better skater than Schremp and one on one player.

BUT his skating is not high elite level as in Nugen-Hopkins, Landeskog. But his skating is not poor at all or a weakness. It will be his 2 way game and play in the 3 zones that will determine how his game translates to the NHL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Strome is a far better skater than Schremp and one on one player.

BUT his skating is not high elite level as in Nugen-Hopkins, Landeskog. But his skating is not poor at all or a weakness. It will be his 2 way game and play in the 3 zones that will determine how his game translates to the NHL.

Strome is a better skater than Landeskog from what I've seen. Landeskog is good though, very mobile.

4thliner*

Strome is a better skater than Landeskog from what I've seen. Landeskog is good though, very mobile.

No he is not. He just handles and skates with the puck more than Landeskog does hence creating that illusion in youtube videos. Watch them closer. It is significant especially their skating form. Lando is a fluid straight up stance FAST skater. Strome's stride isn't as fluid

Landeskog has an explosive stride I think he is faster than RNH in a point A to point B straight ahead race. Nugen-Hopkins is ultra shifty.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No he is not. He just handles and skates with the puck more than Landeskog does hence creating that illusion in youtube videos. Watch them closer. It is significant especially their skating form. Lando is a fluid straight up stance FAST skater. Strome's stride isn't as fluid

Landeskog has an explosive stride I think he is faster than RNH in a point A to point B straight ahead race. Nugen-Hopkins is ultra shifty.

Well, I've watched them both live and while Strome doesn't have the most silky smooth skating he's very fast (faster than Landeksog) and is quick to get to that speed. His cuts are also very good, and although his crossovers and turns could use some work overall he's a better skater. That's not a knock on Landeskog -- I think he's a bit more mobile, but Strome is at the very least faster.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Just wanted to chime in here and say that he has one hell of a one-timer. Reminds me of Stamkos the way he can let it go from the top of the dot.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lots of rumours about ottawa having him high on their draft board

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I think Strome could be this year's Johansen and sneak into a lottery slot, especially if Couturier drops out of it.

Speaking of Couturier, I don't get the lack of love for him. It's wierd. Average skater, sure, but otherwise he's the total package, imo.

lots of rumours about ottawa having him high on their draft board

If Landeskog and Larsson are off the board, I could see them jumping at Strome.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
If the OP wants to make it a top 5 with Strome, you may as well expand it to a top 6 because I think Huberdeau is just as good a prospect as Strome. No clear consensus on which of these two is better.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He sounds like a fun loving kid, and it seems like that on Twitter too. Some NHL team is going to get pretty lucky.

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
He sounds like a fun loving kid, and it seems like that on Twitter too. Some NHL team is going to get pretty lucky.

Yeah, he's a really great guy. I've had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions and I can't remember the last time I spoke to a person, never mind a hockey player, that polite, calm, and fun to be around. You can tell he truly cares about his fans.

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
Sorry to be ignorant....but this is Strome and not Huberd....that your talking about right?

We're talking about Ryan Strome (Niagara Ice Dogs, OHL).

strome.jpg

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Who cares how nice the guy is. Mike Fisher is nice yet he blows.

Fisher only blows in a hfboards world where heaven forbid if you draft Scatchard, Conroy, Belanger, Fisher, Sillinger etc(all quality players)....when you wanted Getzlaf, Staal, Spezza....

Fisher is worse then probably no more then 6 or 7 first rounders in any draft(sans 2003)....as such his value was a 1st+ to Nashville.....

member 30781

I still have Larsson, Landeskog, RNH, Couturier, Hamilton, Huberdeau, and possibly Murphy (not necessarily in that order) all going before he does. Not to say he doesn't deserve more praise, but I just think all the guys above will be better but Strome will be right after them if he isnt picked before.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I still have Larsson, Landeskog, RNH, Couturier, Hamilton, Huberdeau, and possibly Murphy (not necessarily in that order) all going before he does. Not to say he doesn't deserve more praise, but I just think all the guys above will be better but Strome will be right after them if he isnt picked before.

I can see Strome contending with the 'big 4' for a spot, and going before Huberdeau. Murphy and Hamilton are also talented enough to get picked before the 'big 4.' I think people are really underrating this draft. I think the top 8 is pretty fluid (Larsson, Couturier, RNH, Landeskog, Strome, Hamilton, Murphy, Huberdeau.)

Larsson is starting to run into injury issues which could be concerning...especially considering his development this year has been less than stellar. Landeskog, while having a great 2 way game, hasn't been able to show that top end offensive talent that is generally needed in a forward to be picked near the top. RNH is undersized and could spend some time in the minors, a few years maybe. There are questions about Couturier's skating. I think a lot of the top players in this draft have flaws that could see them slide. Really the order in which they go depends entirely on the teams that are picking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->