Recalled/Assigned: Strome returned to the OHL

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
missed the first 8 minutes of the second period but id think that was Stromes most sound period (12 minutes for me) so far, had an awesome play and pass to Debrincat (Debrincat and Raddysh still looking good too) for his assist, I have my doubts he would have made it look so easy in the NHL but great play none the less
Same flaws as usual though. Top speed, battling and gliding. NB's defensive style play makes Strome's flaws less noticeable though i find. Still happy with this period

Cam joined the rush on one play and other than that was pretty invisible, but not bad

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Strome put on second line in the third to spread the offence.
Raddysh and Debrincat line saw more speed because Debrincat was taking on more of a role. Didn't miss Strome too much
But on a positive note, Strome was still solid on the second line, had a couple chances and was solid defensively (though i did notice NB's best breakouts usually happened with Strome out, seemed more like bad luck, will be something to watch for against quicker teams i think though) Had a great powerplay at the start the period and set up 2 great scoring chances, ended up with a rather simple assist later on the same PP.

Cam started taking way more responsibility on the rush, and he looked great doing it, he had one awful giveaway in front of his own net but other than that had a great period, would have more points if he was doing that all the time.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Typical non flashy Strome. 3 points and it looks like he wasn't even trying. I'm exaggerating because that pass on the second goal was actually very sweet. Strome does like that in tight through sticks nearly impossible pass. For a non physical player he really loves playing in traffic.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's just super lucky, I guess, to be able to overcome his lack of footspeed and strength, and heartlessly, lazily put up five points in two games on a team he hasn't been working with for more than a week.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He's just super lucky, I guess, to be able to overcome his lack of footspeed and strength, and heartlessly, lazily put up five points in two games on a team he hasn't been working with for more than a week.

:laugh: He's sure an interesting player.

Shame he can't be in the AHL.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am an Otter's season ticket holder, and have been for 15 years. I also have Penguins season tickets. Strome was doing some things last night that he hasn't done much in the past. He was being physical, and he had a nice check in the NB zone. He was fully involved along the boards. He came back and helped defensively, which he didn't do much last year. His positional play was outstanding. As to the AHL conundrum, it isn't as big of a deal as many of you think that it is. He is playing against large, talented players in the "O". As a matter of fact, both Taylor Raddysh and Alex Debrincat of the Otters are as good as or better than Strome. A good OHL hockey club like Erie is as fast as most AHL teams, if not faster. The AHL has many lunch bucket types, along with some slower, older players, and when you sprinkle in the goon factor, I can see why the CHL has that rule.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I am an Otter's season ticket holder, and have been for 15 years. I also have Penguins season tickets. Strome was doing some things last night that he hasn't done much in the past. He was being physical, and he had a nice check in the NB zone. He was fully involved along the boards. He came back and helped defensively, which he didn't do much last year. His positional play was outstanding. As to the AHL conundrum, it isn't as big of a deal as many of you think that it is. He is playing against large, talented players in the "O". As a matter of fact, both Taylor Raddysh and Alex Debrincat of the Otters are as good as or better than Strome. A good OHL hockey club like Erie is as fast as most AHL teams, if not faster. The AHL has many lunch bucket types, along with some slower, older players, and when you sprinkle in the goon factor, I can see why the CHL has that rule.

The difference between the CHL and the AHL is bigger than you think. Guaranteed

Good to hear he's working in areas he hasn't before, but most of the players you taut won't make it to the AHL, the rule is only in place for money.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Nice to hear he's not doing the typical 20 year old, superstar floater thing so common in junior hockey, but seriously? Both Otters and Penguins season tickets? Where do you live? And how many hours per week do you spend on 79?!?!?! :laugh:

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Nice to hear he's not doing the typical 20 year old, superstar floater thing so common in junior hockey, but seriously? Both Otters and Penguins season tickets? Where do you live? And how many hours per week do you spend on 79?!?!?! :laugh:

He's not 20 yet - hence playing ie Erie.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
ck26, seriously true. I live in Smethport, PA. It is 230 miles r/t to Otters games. I guess you could say I am a hockey nut with a capital "N". I was on the Pens season ticket waiting list for 4 years. This fall I got the invitation to join. I was able to sell almost all of the tickets, only going to the Oilers, Sharks, and Caps openers so far. We will go to 2 more Pens games this spring, and then most of the playoffs. I am recently retired, so I can be a bit more flexible. I am originally from Johnstown, PA, and watched the Johnstown Jets since 1960. I have been to many AHL games (Hershey, Wilkes-Barre, Lehigh Valley), so I do know my hockey. I can tell you that to my mind, OHL hockey is a faster, more passionate brand of hockey than AHL hockey. Connor McDavid is a prime example of terrific players who skip the AHL. We have seen Stamkos, Kane, and many, many others go straight to the NHL. After seeing the London Knights, Windsor Spitfires, and our own Erie Otters fly up and down the ice for years, the AHL seems plodding to me. It is my opinion, but the AHL is not "Guaranteed" to be better than the OHL.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
ck26, seriously true. I live in Smethport, PA. It is 230 miles r/t to Otters games. I guess you could say I am a hockey nut with a capital "N". I was on the Pens season ticket waiting list for 4 years. This fall I got the invitation to join. I was able to sell almost all of the tickets, only going to the Oilers, Sharks, and Caps openers so far. We will go to 2 more Pens games this spring, and then most of the playoffs. I am recently retired, so I can be a bit more flexible. I am originally from Johnstown, PA, and watched the Johnstown Jets since 1960. I have been to many AHL games (Hershey, Wilkes-Barre, Lehigh Valley), so I do know my hockey. I can tell you that to my mind, OHL hockey is a faster, more passionate brand of hockey than AHL hockey. Connor McDavid is a prime example of terrific players who skip the AHL. We have seen Stamkos, Kane, and many, many others go straight to the NHL. After seeing the London Knights, Windsor Spitfires, and our own Erie Otters fly up and down the ice for years, the AHL seems plodding to me. It is my opinion, but the AHL is not "Guaranteed" to be better than the OHL.

Interesting analysis. I have never seen an OHL game live, but assumed the AHL level of play was closer to that of the NHL. The players that completely skip the AHL are rather rare...no?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I disagree about the AHL and Junior.

The difference between the CHL and the AHL is bigger than you think. Guaranteed

Good to hear he's working in areas he hasn't before, but most of the players you taut won't make it to the AHL, the rule is only in place for money.

I agree.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It seems that the elite teams have players on a regular basis that skip the AHL. To give you an example of hw good OHL hockey can be, Erie right now has 3 players that were drafted in the early rounds of the NHL last year (Alex Debrincat, Taylor Raddysh, and Jordan Sambrook), along with several younger players that will, I predict, be high draft picks in the future (Ivan Lodnia, Brett Neuman). They are a scary fast team. If you check on the London Knights, they have sent many players to the NHL w/o a stop or much time in the AHL (Mitch Marner, Max Domi, Patrick Kane, Rick Nash, John Tavares). Of course, we got to watch McDavid play for 3 seasons in Erie. It is, by far, much more entertaining than any level of minor league hockey, and if you are an elite player, it is the place to play. As a matter of fact, Dylan Strome, while a good OHL player, is not out of his league in Erie. As far as foot speed goes, he is somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In the 70's I had season tickets to the Medicine Hat Tigers when they had Lysiak and McDonald's of the world. I love junior hockey, but I think the AHL is a big step up from the junior. In junior your playing with your peers, but in the AHL your playing with players of all ages and development levels. The players you mentioned were all #1 picks in their draft year and are sensational players, but what about the other 99.9%?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is a reason only 2 or 3 players per Jr team are able to move on to Pro hockey even at the Minor League level. It's a better League with better players.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would say CHL tends to have more elite level talent because as buzz mentioned, the elite level talent heads straight from the CHL to the NHL.

But overall the AHL is going to be a higher level play, I think in part due to it being a professional league with grown men, whereas the majority of the players in the CHL are teenagers. Big difference in strength.

Anyways, as for Strome, he is centering Kyle Maksimovich and Ivan Lodnia. DeBrincat/Taylor Raddysh being centered by Allan McShane. Kind of a 1A/1B situation.

Edit: Three minutes in, Strome feeds Maksimovich, 1-0 Erie.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe a half dozen high end players go straight from CHL to NHL each year from 50 or more teams. The rest go nowhere for about 90% or more. The AHL is a much higher calibre league.
I would say CHL tends to have more elite level talent because as buzz mentioned, the elite level talent heads straight from the CHL to the NHL.

But overall the AHL is going to be a higher level play, I think in part due to it being a professional league with grown men, whereas the majority of the players in the CHL are teenagers. Big difference in strength.

Anyways, as for Strome, he is centering Kyle Maksimovich and Ivan Lodnia. DeBrincat/Taylor Raddysh being centered by Allan McShane. Kind of a 1A/1B situation.

Edit: Three minutes in, Strome feeds Maksimovich, 1-0 Erie.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Yes, but he made it look too easy. He has to skate around more instead of getting and maintaining a good position. Maybe "battle" more. He'll go nowhere under Tippett if he keeps making it look easy.

picture.php

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”

The pessimists of this forum will come in and gripe about how Tippett is ruining him, chasing him away, and claim that the sky is falling faster than normal.

The optimists will come in here and passive aggressively react to the pessimists by saying how this will prove Tippett is a genius and Strome will be our savior, further fueling the pessimists' pessimism.

The realists will see that this worked tremendously well with Max Domi, and that Strome's strength, skating, and confidence could use another year of development.

Encouraging article.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The pessimists of this forum will come in and gripe about how Tippett is ruining him, chasing him away, and claim that the sky is falling faster than normal.

The optimists will come in here and passive aggressively react to the pessimists by saying how this will prove Tippett is a genius and Strome will be our savior, further fueling the pessimists' pessimism.

The realists will see that this worked tremendously well with Max Domi, and that Strome's strength, skating, and confidence could use another year of development.

Encouraging article.
Summed it up just about perfectly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->