Strome Brothers In The OHL - best brothers trio in the OHL ever?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The Staals.

Marc, Jared, Eric and Jordan.

None of them had anywhere near the fire power that any of the Stromes had.

All (Except Jared) have gone onto nice long careers in the NHL so far.

If you ask me, these are the best brothers to play in the OHL.

Reactions: boknows

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The Staals.

Marc, Jared, Eric and Jordan.

None of them had anywhere near the fire power that any of the Stromes had.

All (Except Jared) have gone onto nice long careers in the NHL so far.

If you ask me, these are the best brothers to play in the OHL.

If you mean Stromes and Staal's are the best brothers to play in the OHL, i agree
but if you mean that the Staals are better than the Stromes, i highly disagree.

Even with 4 brothers, Staals combined points total couldn't even reach 600 points
Ryan&Dylan alone combined about 800 points in the OHL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you mean Stromes and Staal's are the best brothers to play in the OHL, i agree

Even with 4 brothers, Staals combined points total couldn't even reach 600 points

True, but Eric & Jordan combined for only five seasons while Marc played D; whereas, the Stromes combined for 12 seasons. I’ll pick the first three Staal brothers as best trio because they graduated to the NHL earlier.

Father & sons ... Foligno

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
True, but Eric & Jordan combined for only five seasons while Marc played D; whereas, the Stromes combined for 12 seasons. I’ll pick the first three Staal brothers as best trio because they graduated to the NHL earlier.

Father & sons ... Foligno

Yeah but...this thread has nothing to with the NHL thou.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Brent, Keith and what’s his name Gretzky?

Technically speaking...Wayne never really played in the OHL :)
Besides, Wayne played only one season in the OMJHL, scoring 182 points in 64 games.
- he played 2 seasons in the OHA-B division prior to that, not in A division, the OHA-A
later became OMJHL, which became the OHL in the 80's.

What comes to his brothers, they combined less than 600 points together in the OHL.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I watched Eric and Jordan Staal play for the Peterborough Petes. Both players played a good two way game in addition to the offence they provided. Marc played for the Sudbury Wolves and was a dominate defenceman. Jared never lived up to his brothers. The Strome brothers were premium forwards in the OHL but did not play the complete game Eric and Jordan played. In Marc’s case it hard to compared a forward to a defenceman. It would be like comparing Chris Pronger to Chris Gratton. Gratton had more points in the OHL than Pronger, but no one could say that Gratton was the better player. Another set of brothers that should be considered for best brothers in the OHL are Daryl and Darrin Shannon who played for the Windsor Spitfires in the mid to late 1980’s. Daryl was a star defenceman, who had the best plus/minus in the OHL in his last year in the league. Darrin was a premium forward in the OHL.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Okay but you are missing 2 major points here.

1) as I mentioned, Eric and Jordan never had the talent surrounding them to help boost points. No McDavids, No Debrincat, no Raddysh.

Very unfair to sit here and suggest that one is better because of the points he had, not taking into consideration the people feeding them the puck.

Dylan Strome and Ryan Strome are great players who played on teams that where very deep with talent.

Eric, Jordan and Marc who was a defencemen, didn't have the talent surrounding them. They where dominant players night in and night out/ Couldn't afford to take nights off and have 5-6 top point producers behind them to pick up the slack.

2) the poster isn't talking about NHL . The point was simply that that Eric and Jordan played less games in the OHL because they made the NHL early so you can't take Dylans 4 years and compare them to Jordans 2. Or Erics 3.

3) The Staals where better OHL players and will stand by it.

Most points is one argument. But the best, I'd take 18 year old Jordan Staal and 18 year old Eric Staal over 18 year olds Dylan and Ryan Strome in a 2 on 2 all day.

Reactions: LDN

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I read that, there was no mention of most points, just best trio of brothers. The first three Staals were the best, imo. The fact that they only needed nine OHL seasons combined just solidifies it for me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If you use only points, it isn’t that fair of a comparison. Jordan played only two years, Eric three and Marc was a D-Man.

Dylan and Ryan were both dominant players that played the full four years.

If Eric had played his fourth year, he’d have tacked on at least 120 and Jordan was more of a complete two way player but evenhe would have tacked on another 150 or so points over two seasons.

I am not discounting how good the Strome’s are but the Staals have had a greater impact at the NHL level. I know both Dylan and Ryan are still young but neither have had any real impact at the NHL level yet.

The three Staal’s, (Eric, MArc and Jordan) have 2700+ NHL games combined. I can pretty much guarantee the Stromes will not reach that level through their entire career.

This is why I suggest using career OHL points as an indicator is probably not that great of a stat to indicate how was actually better.

The Gretzky’s are on a different level but more because of Wayne. HE was so head and shoulders above his brothers that it is really hard to group them all together. No dispresct to Keith and Brent but the scoring was much higher back then and neither of those two had bang up years.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Okay but you are missing 2 major points here.

1) as I mentioned, Eric and Jordan never had the talent surrounding them to help boost points. No McDavids, No Debrincat, no Raddysh.

Very unfair to sit here and suggest that one is better because of the points he had, not taking into consideration the people feeding them the puck.

Dylan Strome and Ryan Strome are great players who played on teams that where very deep with talent.

Eric, Jordan and Marc who was a defencemen, didn't have the talent surrounding them. They where dominant players night in and night out/ Couldn't afford to take nights off and have 5-6 top point producers behind them to pick up the slack.

2) the poster isn't talking about NHL . The point was simply that that Eric and Jordan played less games in the OHL because they made the NHL early so you can't take Dylans 4 years and compare them to Jordans 2. Or Erics 3.

3) The Staals where better OHL players and will stand by it.

Most points is one argument. But the best, I'd take 18 year old Jordan Staal and 18 year old Eric Staal over 18 year olds Dylan and Ryan Strome in a 2 on 2 all day.

I agree with you that the Staal brothers were better overall than the Strome brothers. But I need to correct you on the talent level Jordan played with in his two years with the Peterborough Petes
He played on two very good Petes teams. They had players like Steve Downie, Daniel Ryder, Liam Reddox, Jamie Tartif and Patrick Kaleta. They had three very good lines, plus a very physical 4th line, a solid defence and a great goaltender. He also played for Dick Todd, who was the best coach of his era. In his final season with the Petes they won an OHL Championship. Jordan was a key part of the teams success. I think what made the Staal brothers better than the Strome brothers was their good two way play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad