stretching and weight training for skating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleD

I'm hoping to start getting some skating done soon. I'm horribly out of shape, and started skating for the first time a couple years back after being off skates for 7-10 years. Last year, I basically didn't skate at all, because after the few times I did, it felt like someone beat me up. :D

So, a couple questions...

1. What are the best stretches to do before (and after) hitting the ice?

2. How about weight training? Can anyone recommend exercises to do with weights to help with skating? Or, if not specific exercises, which areas of the legs/back/wherever are best to focus on?

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
littleD said:
I'm hoping to start getting some skating done soon. I'm horribly out of shape, and started skating for the first time a couple years back after being off skates for 7-10 years. Last year, I basically didn't skate at all, because after the few times I did, it felt like someone beat me up. :D

2. How about weight training? Can anyone recommend exercises to do with weights to help with skating? Or, if not specific exercises, which areas of the legs/back/wherever are best to focus on?

Stretching -- Anything for the hip abductor (Search Google. You'll find a ton)

Weights -- I always follow the Russians on this one. Step Up's - Plyos - core strength (Lower back, abs) Do another search in Google for "core workout"

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Check the USA Hockey website. They have some workouts on there. Also look for Peter Twist's book on conditioning for hockey.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
littleD said:

Weight...gain lots of weight...Whoops, that's Brett Hull's season training plan :D Seriously, there are a few really good excersizes, go borrow/buy a book with something like "Training for Hockey" in the title.If you live in a city in Canada or the Northern states, they'll probably have one in the youth/kids section of your library.

One excersize that is easy is to stand flat, slowly go up on tiptoe(both feet), then slowly lower yourself back down. Awesome calf muscle builder.With or without weights.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I've always had luck using a road bike to get back into hockey shape. Hit some hard hills and long rides. It not only works the legs, calfs, lowerback and abs but the hills and pulling work the shoulders and arms. Not to mention the cardio from a cycling is great, with less stress on the joints.

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
The LA Kings Staff has switched from traditional weight training to using "The Core" Work Out. Using the big ball. I have done this workout and it's very good. I purchased the Core work out from Gunthy-Renker...Its really good, came with the dvd's, the ball and other "flash" cards on stretches.

I do all the strerches and "Bridges" before I head to the rink.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
go for leg power and basic hypertrophy training for all your muscle groups. Core and upper body strenght are great assets too.

try to go with cardio (stationary bike is great for hockey), leg power (1 fast rep), dead lifts and squats for balance and strenght, and basic weight lifting.

There's many other specific things for hockey though. But for leg power, overall shape and strenght you should do what I told you. How many times a week are you going to hit the weight and how much cardio do you wanna do? I could plan you a workout if you want to...

By the way, look for stretching images on the web, they're great.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I think I need to repeat that dead lift and squat really does wonders. No one could put me off-balance when I was strong on those lifts. I used to be really slow footed (foot race) but after 2 months of power training for my legs, I could sprint really fast. Back then, I had never skated once in my life. However, the second time I skated, I was the fastest guy at the rink, by far. Thanks to 1 fast rep that builds power.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
RedK said:
Check the USA Hockey website. They have some workouts on there. Also look for Peter Twist's book on conditioning for hockey.

Wow. I've been looking for some good off-ice training drills for a while now and the USA site is an awesome reference. For conditioning, they have videos showing 2 circuits along with a really nice word document telling how many reps one should do and how long one should wait in between reps.

Watching the videos of the kids doing stickhandling drills made me feel really inadequate. :)

Thanks so much for this tip.

Leafs_Need_D

Oct 9, 2005
littleD said:

1) two important stretches are the quads and hams. stretch those to get your legs warmed up. lunges are also very helpful. you can do them without weights to start, then add them once you get used to it).

2) as said by RedWingFan and franchiseplayer, free weight squats really help with power and balance. the "step-up's" (again, without weights to start, then gradually add dumbells/bar) also are good. be sure to do the squats using free weights, not on the tracks. these are harder, but build balance. be careful when doing them though. ask a gym rat on proper technique for squats, b/c you could do all kinds of harm to your back, if you do them wrong.

and finally, try running sprints. hockey's all about quick bursts of acceleration, so try playing some touch football for that. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->