OT: Strength Training / Exercise

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
...Think of moving your couch, or rearranging a room. Would you want a runner or a lifter helping you move heavy stuff?

My personal goal is to be able to both run and lift/move heavy things. I'd like to attain a happy medium between runner's build and weight lifter that would probably make life much more enjoyable than being a fatass. I imagine it'd probably make getting back on skates a bit easier too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Starting a tabata routine. Digging it so far. 4 minutes of suffering for maximum return. :)

My wife is big into tabata and does it regularly. I've tried it a couple of times and agree with your assessment. Might need to go back to that as what I'm doing now is getting stale.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Alright. Weight lifting. Drop set vs. Giant set vs. Superset. I've been doing Giant Sets. Started Drop sets, but those seem way, way too short. Am I doing it right.

Also explain the pros and cons of each plz, too lazy to google.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Alright. Weight lifting. Drop set vs. Giant set vs. Superset. I've been doing Giant Sets. Started Drop sets, but those seem way, way too short. Am I doing it right.

Also explain the pros and cons of each plz, too lazy to google.

I'm not sure...

My sets work like this:

Let's use 135 as your 5 rep max.

2 sets of 5 reps at 45lbs
1 set of 5 at 75
1 set of 3 at 95
1 set or 2 at 115
1 set of 1 at 125
3 sets of 5 reps at 135

That's how it goes for me.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
A drop set is, you start at your max, or close to it, then go until failure. Very short break, drop some weight, go again. Rinse, repeat.

You certainly get a work out, but it goes by so fast that I suspect that I'm doing something wrong. Although I've done only 1 muscle group so far (b/c doing 2 is technically a superset, which is why I'm confused).

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
A drop set is, you start at your max, or close to it, then go until failure. Very short break, drop some weight, go again. Rinse, repeat.

You certainly get a work out, but it goes by so fast that I suspect that I'm doing something wrong. Although I've done only 1 muscle group so far (b/c doing 2 is technically a superset, which is why I'm confused).

I thought super set would be: Bench, run over and do pull ups, run back and do bench again.

I'm probably wrong, and it's not the first time.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You're both right. Drop sets and supersets are two different things. I've never heard of a giant set before though.

Personally, I don't bother with any of them except for the end of shoulders/arms day when I superset curls and skullcrushers.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Yesterday I hit 8 reps of .5 body weight on my curls.

This is cool because two months ago I could only do 12 reps of .25 body weight.

Progress is fun.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i'm big into golf so i get up at 5:30 and do a core workout with a swiss ball followed by golf specific stretching. total workout is about 35 minutes.

on my off days i get on the exercise bike for a fat-burning ride.

i'm in bed by 10:30pm.

the older i get the earlier i rise and the earlier i go to bed.

:shakehead

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Anyone do any TRX? I picked up an offbrand version (WOSS) and am looking for a decent, quick routine (there's a million out there, trying to narrow it down). Mostly focused on core and chest. I'm taking another shot at fixing my back, just a little concerned my joints and overall core stability aren't where they should be to start suspension training.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I started the summer in May at 145. I gained lots of fat over the summer and went up to 155 by September. I started working out everyday starting then. I ended mid-November at 167, bf% up a little but the majority muscle. Then the holidays happened and I haven't worked out since and am sitting around 170. Oh well. Gonna get back to it soon. I'll be in a swimming class so I hope to get the bf% back down.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My goal for 10 years has been to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle and drop my bf% a couple of points. I've basically hovered around 160-165 and 18-20% bf that entire time. Maybe next year :)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So I recently bought some 25 lb weights for $3 at a yard sale. I plan on using them. You guys might want to take cover because I'm bringing the guns out.

I also felt this thread should be brought back from the dead again, you know because we all could use some exercise.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So I recently bought some 25 lb weights for $3 at a yard sale. I plan on using them. You guys might want to take cover because I'm bringing the guns out.

I also felt this thread should be brought back from the dead again, you know because we all could use some exercise.

Exercise
..Ex..Er..Cise
..Ex..Ar..Size
..Eggs..Are..Sides
...For Bacon...
BACON!

Reactions: HisIceness

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Stronglifts.com

Or do Starting Strength.

Either way, that's been fantastic and I finally got rid of my "played soccer in HS" body and can lift things like someone who goes to the gym now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
tumblr_lctuwcOLqA1qzpn0wo1_r1_500.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think I need to get a rowing machine for my new place.

I bought one a few years back. Love it, but it is by far one of the most strenuous exercises I do. 15-20 minutes on that thing, if you row hard, is a killer even though I kayak frequently and go for hours. I know they are expensive, but don't buy a cheap one. I waited until I found a deal on a used concept 2 and have no regrets. I've tried a few other models and they don't compare IMO. That said, I haven't tried every model out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad