Speculation: Streit

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They were top 5 last year, and should be more mobile with a season of DD.

I'm actually fine with the seven guys, iffy on Smith though.

D scoring was way down. Not surprising losing Lidstrom and White being MIA, but an area to improve.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We already have guys that have shown they can play some quality defense, and we have some guys that are up and coming that can probably provide some offense. I think we're in pretty good shape going forward.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
over $5m and more importantly FOUR years for a 35 year old declining defenseman? :laugh:

Typical Flyers. Holmgren is all about flash.

Glad the Wings weren't involved.

He will play for 2 years and then suffer a mysterious injury that will land him on LTIR.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Free agency just isn't the way to find guys...at least a reasonable price. Be thankfuly they could reign in DD like they did. As far as I'm concerned, their defense is set already for next year. I'm hoping Quincey plays well in a contract year.

For sure. I dunno if you read George Malik's writing about the Wings or not but he has a line that goes something like:

If I defenseman can skate in a straight line, he's worth 3 million a year in the NHL. Throw in passing/shooting AT ALL and you're over 4 million and if he has elite defensive skills you're up around 5.

If you look at what Philly ending up paying for a 35 year old dude who STILL managed to get a 4 year deal; Malik is 100% right.

I think you can still go out and "buy a forward" or two, but the day so rebuilding your defense from scratch through FA are over. It requires you to blow up the whole team (ala Philly right now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->