News: Streit and Habs shook hands and said good-bye

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Can you just buy him out like that during the season?
Or did they say they'll cut him a fat check to mutually terminate the deal?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Sure, Mete helped alot in the decision. Next i'd like Lernout back up.. He's a verry good D..

Yeah, honestly I'm resigned to a retool/rebuild and seeing what some of the young guys can do, Lernout and Scherbak are at the top of the list for me this season.

I just don't think this team is anywhere near being competitive as currently composed, and I'd like to see a few guys moved out for younger faces

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, honestly I'm resigned to a retool/rebuild and seeing what some of the young guys can do, Lernout and Scherbak are at the top of the list for me this season.

I just don't think this team is anywhere near being competitive as currently composed, and I'd like to see a few guys moved out for younger faces
I think the team will be fine eventually but If Benn's not up to par, i'd give him a litle break and play Lernout.. Benn's too shaky right now.. Scherbak seems to play well for Laval but he does nothing with the Habs, worth another shot for sure..

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm disappointed that he wasn't sent to Laval to learn the ropes of coaching.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think the team will be fine eventually but If Benn's not up to par, i'd give him a litle break and play Lernout.. Benn's too shaky right now.. Scherbak seems to play well for Laval but he does nothing with the Habs, worth another shot for sure..

I thought Scehrbak looked good in his brief time last year, just needs a bit of a longer leash! Problem is I don't want the team to continue just being fine as they have been for, what, 7-8 years? I'd rather see a small scale rebuild to change the composition of the team. Move out Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Petry, Plekanec, Benn and Weber if you can and then go from there.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Can you just buy him out like that during the season?
Or did they say they'll cut him a fat check to mutually terminate the deal?
you cant buy out players during mid season. however, he wasn't bough out. he mutually agreed to terminate his contract with mtl. he's owed just over 45,000 for his 12 service days with the club.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
He's had a great career, really enjoyed him. It was just time to go. Happy retirement Mark.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So is this even allowed?

Not a big deal but the lawyer in me wants to know.
Mutual rescission of a contract happens all the time.

I think the bigger question is what are the cap impacts of this? I don't know why all rich teams wouldn't do this to get rid of bad contracts if it just removed the hit. Give the guy a big enough payout and why should he care? Is that player forbidden from playing on another team until the years of his original contracts are done or something? This is like a free compliance buyout otherwise. Pay someone off, get rid of the cap hit, get rid of a contract. All you need is the money to do it.
No, his cap hit is gone. Streit is age 35+, however the Age 35+ rule only kicks into effect on multi-year contracts.

Hypothetically, does that mean the Wings could pay Abdelkader $100m tomorrow to induce him to agree to terminate his existing contract?

That seems ridiculous.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Mutual rescission of a contract happens all the time.

I think the bigger question is what are the cap impacts of this? I don't know why all rich teams wouldn't do this to get rid of bad contracts if it just removed the hit. Give the guy a big enough payout and why should he care? Is that player forbidden from playing on another team until the years of his original contracts are done or something? This is like a free compliance buyout otherwise. Pay someone off, get rid of the cap hit, get rid of a contract. All you need is the money to do it.

Hypothetically, does that mean the Wings could pay Abdelkader $100m tomorrow to induce him to agree to terminate his existing contract?

That seems ridiculous.

If a team paid a player anything to terminate the contract (other then the CBA-defined buyouts) that would be considered cap circumvention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->