TV: Streaming Options: Becoming Fragmented

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by HawksFan74, Aug 17, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

With cord cutting the streaming market is becoming too diverse. Content providers are starting their own services and who wants to subscribe to five or six of them.

Netflix
    Amazon
    Hulu
    HBO
    Now Disney
    CBS
    FX and AMC coming
    and more...

So Disney will pull their content from Netflix, this also means goodbye for any Marvel original content. Lucasfilm as well.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/disney-netflix-streaming-service-battle-1201864873/

I can see picking a couple or maybe three. You would be cut off from some content all together.

Direct TV has a decent online package with locals starting around $20. Thoughts.

2. SniperHF

SniperHF Premium Administrator

Was inevitable. But you can sort of float between them cancelling/resubscribing easily.

I'm still pretty happy with cable but I'm weird. Little too pricey but no combination of streaming services gets you the same offerings and until that's the case I cannot cut.

3. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

I still have Dirrect TV right now because it's only $60.00 a month due to having an unlimited cell package with them. It includes HBO as well. When it's done I'm going with their online package. I also have Netflix and Amazon. Where this is going I feel is original content will end up being their primary content. Problem is cable is losing subscribers left and right. Not so much cord cutters but the younger generation is never even going with them in the 1st place.

4. aleshemsky83

aleshemsky83 Registered User

You dont need to watch everything. Fragmentation is exactly what people were saying cable should have.

If you absolutely need to have your favorite shows or movies, buy the box set on dvd or bluray, rip your shows to a hard drive, label them properly (S01E01, S01E02, etc. using tvdb as the reference), get yourself a media box and put plex on it. It wont look different from netflix.

5. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    It will be interesting to see how long all the players last. Netflix has the market penetration, and even as they lose the Disney stuff, I think they've built up their original offerings to the point that it won't hurt them too badly.

But, others will struggle, as it goes beyond the consumer cost. I think most people don't want to have to look to multiple services to see what they are going to watch that night.

The best hook that a streaming service can offer is having a hit show. I have Netflix, but I pick up HBO when Games of Thrones is on, and I use this period to catch up on other HBO shows, like Westworld.

6. HFBCommenter

HFBCommenter •régistérédUSÊR•

Broadcasting Personality
    There was an article I read about how all this fragmentation is just as bad as cable. Because you have to subscribe to all these different networks. Why not just get cable for that price.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-downsides-of-cable-cord-cutting/

People quit cable because they can't justify a $100-and-always-climbing monthly payment, especially with so much good stuff on cheaper services. But the cost of multiple streaming services adds up, too.

A $30 TV antenna gets you local channels -- CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, Univision -- for free, though you have to watch whatever's on at the moment unless you have a DVR. If you want to see the edgy shows everyone talks about, then Netflix is, for most, $10 a month. Amazon is $8.25 a month if you sign up for a year. Hulu starts at $8. HBO Now, $15.

7. aleshemsky83

Because cable has ads and is inferior in almost every way. Most basic cable channels where I live still broadcast in standard definition and to my knowledge cable only supports 1080i 720p to this day. Streaming is still just 10 bucks a month for most services and a reasonable person can decide what they want to watch that month. Some of the stuff I see on cable is not even DVD quality.

8. discostu

discostu Registered User

Home Page:
    I still have cable, as, doing everything via streaming takes up bandwidth and I'm more likely to have connection issues. I also have small kids, and it's convenient to have whatever shows they watch lined up on the PVR.

There's basically justification enough issues with the streaming options for someone like me to hold off cutting the cord, and fragmenting the streaming market only adds to that, which is probably one of the goals.

The networks and studios are likely leary of handing too much control to Netflix, because they have bee making it easier and easier to justify eliminating cable. I'm guessing the streaming services are going to he money losers for the most part as everyone jockeys for position.

9. Tawnos

Tawnos A guy with a bass

Well, the reason for cord cutting isn't simply to save money, but also to only pay for what you want to pay for. Frankly, if that's a little more expensive in the end, I'm okay with it.

I think the aggregators like Netflix and Hulu are facing a need to change their business models soon and perhaps they already have started.

Also, at some point, the more streamers that are on the market, the lower the price should become for all of them.

10. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

Well that sucks, Cable by me has been all HD for years and good quality. Direct TV offers some 4k content and all their pay per movies in 4K although it's a rip off. The quality of their 4K is def as good as Netflix which in some cases seem upscaled.

Antenna is an issue for some people depending where they live. Yeah Netflix and Amazon are great for the price but we are about to see them losing content. What if the movie studios go this route as well?

I don't care about Disney but I do care about locals for Football and Hockey and the occasional show here and there. Problem is Hockey is on NBC Sports or Comcast Sports, services right now only available via Cable. Also HBO is worth it but it's much cheaper with a cable package. Is anywhere here using Direct tV's streaming service yet?

11. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    Personally, I kind of hope streaming becomes weakened just so that it doesn't dominate the market and make physical media irrelevant. When you get to the point where physical media is no longer a thing, and is replaced by streaming only, but the market for streaming continues to become more and more saturated the same way cable has, it's going to suck (and is just going to drive people to illegal downloading). Personally, I don't care to get a service that just has its own niche of things of varying quality, I'd rather even pay a little bit more to focus purely on the stuff that stands out from each group. (I'd rather pay $40 for a thing I really like than $10 for a month of mostly middling content). That's going to be tough to do if physical media isn't a thing and streaming options continue to go this way. Hopefully there's another game-changer on the horizon that fixes this.

12. HanSolo

HanSolo Vegas Strong

Never really thought of how fragmentation could be a good thing but that's a good point.

13. The Moose

The Moose Registered User

I think they are delusional if they think people will pay for 10 different streaming services. Having one or two makes sense, and that's what made Netflix great, but why would one shell out the same amount of money as cable, or perhaps even more? People will turn to piracy instead, and technology and availability of higher and higher internet speeds will make that easier.

14. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

I'm against piracy overall and I believe paying for content I like will enable the provider to keep producing, like HBO.

They continue to lose subscribers every year as less people opt of Cable and go to the alternatives they don't have to pay for.

It baffles me that you can buy a hacked firestick on Amazon. How are they allowing this?

If Cable companies want to compete then need to go to the Al a carte strategy. Stop shoving a hundred channels people don't want with subscriptions and let them pay for what they want. ESPN continues to be the highest $$$$ per channel aside from premiums.

15. Led Zappa

Led Zappa Tomorrow Today Sponsor

Sys Admin
    Putting the new Star Trek on CBS Streaming is a prime example of this. I'll never sign up. I don't care what the show is.

Until I switched to Xfinity I was always looking forward to cutting the cord, but I just can't because I want to watch my hockey team, The Sharks, and I can't without a Cable/Satellite package.

Now I don't care. I have The top tier Cable package, 100MB internet and phone for $180 a month. Just a few months ago I was paying that for DirecTV only. Seven years ago I was paying that for TV and 10 MB Internet with Comcast.

So, for $200 a month we have:

Xfinity - All Channels

HBO GO with Xfinity Subscription

Showtime - Not as great as HBO Go, but still easy access to entire Showtime library

Netflix - Streaming and a couple DVD's for Newish movies

Amazon Prime (Free with Amazon Prime $99 a year - saved with shipping among family members)

100MB Internet

LAN line phone (which we need)

And if Xfinity Mobile looks good down the line I could get my cell service for $12.50 a month since I don't use more than a gig a month.

16. The Moose

The Moose Registered User

I don't think this is true only for Cable companies, but for content creators as well. In the absence of a reasonably cheap centralized streaming service, why would I buy a subscription to Disney when I only want to watch perhaps one or two titles? I'd be better off buying the DVD than paying for subscription. If the physical media is going the way of the dodo and they feel Netflix is eating their lunch, then find a way for the consumer to pay for what they actually watch. In one centralized streaming service, I might give the show X a chance, it does not cost me anything. But I will not pay for an entire streaming service just to check out if the show X is worth it.

I think the content creators overestimate how hooked are the consumer to what they are offering. For every Game of Thrones there are 100 ****** shows that have a following because of the convenience of being there, at a click of a button, and at a minimal cost. As George Constanza would say: "Why I am I watching it? Because it's on TV." Make it harder and more expensive to access your programs, and the consumer will simply stop bothering. They will pirate the occasional popular show and not care about the rest that it won't even be on their radar.

17. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane everything is gonna be okay!

that is a shame that Disney is pulling out of Netflix - and i do think the crap thing about it is - Canada will probably be ignored in the whole thing - as we are with Hulu (which i would HAPPILY pay for) and other things

Currently we do have cable, but it provides us w/internet and access to all Canadian streaming (such as Sportsnet, TSN, CraveTV etc).

Amazon.ca's streaming is pathetically weak

well no point getting into Jessica Jones and stuff then.

ETA: oh according to huffington post - this only in America (for now) Canadians will still have Disney owned movies.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  18. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love

corporate drone
    Antenna + Hulu + Netflix + buying discounted iTunes movie codes = all I need.

I give my parents a few bucks each month to use their cable login for CNN and other cable apps on Apple TV.

19. whatsbruin

whatsbruin Registered User

Home Page:
    Dropping cable switching to DISH.
    I have a primary and secondary residence.
    I can switch the DISH from primary to secondary and back again, no cost.
    Thus only paying 1 bill, not two. Direct TV may have the same thing, but
    I already had DISH, and was happy with them.

20. jw2

jw2 Registered User

firestick

21. aleshemsky83

I assume you are hinting at a firestick with pirate addons, those were shut down and will eventually break (within 6 months) now that they aren't being updated.

If you mean just firestick, its a nice product but a bit sluggish comared to a media box

22. Shareefruck

Software Developer
    Personally, I'm pro-piracy and can rationalize it as a tool for figuring out where to allocate your entertainment spending (rather than a tool for avoiding entertainment spending). I spend so much more as a result of piracy (and to the artists I think are most deserving) than I ever would without it.

23. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

Are you saying you are buying physical copies as a result of seeing it illegally somewhere 1st. I can see that but you are probably in the minority.

24. Shareefruck

Software Developer
    Yeah, I basically allocate the maximum amount of money I can justify spending on this kind of thing, and intentionally spend to a premium on the stuff I like most that I haven't purchased yet (in Blu Rays/Deluxe Editions, etc), and use that to justify downloading to sample or to obtain a more convenient digital copy of something I already own.

So I might end up seeing a lot of stuff that I don't end up paying for because I don't care for it, but I'll instead end up spending as much money as I can muster on the artists that have given me the most worthwhile value and that I want to support most. I prefer the outcome of doing it this way, because I support physical media as much as I possibly can, and I can avoid being manipulated by forces in marketing (which you're annoyingly normally completely at the mercy of, causing more deserving artists to get the short end of the stick and go unnoticed). Sometimes I'll go out of my way to spend on an artist with no intention of using the actual version I bought, just on principle.

I understand that that's not universally enforceable method, but I'm basically saying that I just don't see piracy as being an indefensible wrong-doing. It's not exactly the same thing as stealing in every scenario. It just depends on how it's used and what the outcome is (whether or not you're ACTUALLY hurting the industry by doing it).

I've tried doing the Netflix/streaming/cable thing for a while and I found the experience awful, to be honest.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  25. TheAngryHank

TheAngryHank Expert

Firestick,kody