Post-Game Talk: Streak busted! Jets win 3-2

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Jets are banged up and pretty much guaranteed playoffs. Still, rattle off 3 straight road wins. Their body of work is very strong, so hard to get worked up about getting outshot by a desperate home team that trails the whole game.
Agree.
Also, there is huge benefit in giving the "bench" players (think Raptors) more opportunity, responsibility and confidence. Chiarot is a prime example, as is Roslovic. This will really help us if and when we have a long, grinding playoff run. The "starter" player who seems to have benefited most from the injuries is Buff,who has responded to the loss of Trouba and Toby with some of the most consistently high level play of his career. It is reminiscent of our one other playoff year, when we were decimated on D and he rose tothe challenge. It will be interesting to see how his play changes, if at all, when Trouba is back.
Ehlers failing to get the puck deep was the reason for that first goal. He did the same thing against the Rangers about 3 times and he finally got burned tonight.
Yes, that was brutal and not an isolated event of late. The redeeming factors are a)his amazing offensive acrobatics for the goal and, b)his insight--he is a smart young man and is going to work on his deficits. Of course, if he had 39 goals,we wouldn't even care about his deficits, would we? :sarcasm:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
BTW, not sure if there was much discussion on Chairot. He’s riding a 5 game point streak and rang one off the bar with his high velocity shot. Plus, he gets involved in the rough stuff.

He definitely has improved this year (still makes some gaffes).
he hasn't been as awful as he was earlier, but he can still be a d zone liability. not the best at break-outs. not the best at establishing coverage once the other team's in the jets' zone. he's fine during own-zone break-in coverage and ok when it goes behind the net. once a cycle is established, i cringe a bit. once he gets the puck, i cringe a lot.

just look at some of Buff's breakout passes yesterday. they were pretty damn nice.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
let's not sugarcoat this game.
i haven't looked at the metrics, but eyetest alone showed that the Jets were being significantly outplayed. the Devils had some A1 chances. missed off a 2 on none. jets had a few dominant shifts but otherwise the ice was relatively tilted. Helle quietly had a great game. no noise in net. he covered a lot of warts, especially by the Jets' keystone cops' D.
talking about Copp...he had a pretty solid game as well. as per usual, didn't show on the scoresheet.
Buff had a really nice game yet again. one post, some great D-zone breakout and outlet passes. took one shift that was way too long and it almost cost the jets, but these things happen. the ESL line was very very solid. Otherwise...did any other jets deserve any accolaides?
I'm not sugarcoating anything, and yes I do think some other Jets deserve some accolades. You can see what you want, the Jets had some A-1 chances as well. I didn't say they were perfect, just a lot more good than some are maintaining.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Soon my Jets HF Boards fam. We got this.

u9HTwNP.jpg
That can't be Winnipeg... everybody knows there's no daylight in winter! ;)

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I only got to see the end of the second and the third. We sucked. The skaters didn't deserve 2 points, but Helle did. We goalied them. Stats from naturalstattrick.com

upload_2018-3-9_10-3-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-9_10-2-14.png
    upload_2018-3-9_10-2-14.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: HannuJ

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The Jets have the flu going through the team and guys like Matty P are playing sick...Jets are dropping like flies from injuries to key talent.....lose a D man in game. Every game isn’t going to be pretty.....we get goalied at times tonight was our turn to goalie the other team. This is all part of the make up of a season. I have learned to stop apologizing when the bounces and hockey gods shine down on us.
Well if I made that kind of money I simply wouldn’t get sick :sarcasm:
Wimps

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
there's been a few games we lost where we DID deserve the 2 points. That's the way it goes in the NHL.

I believe we did deserve two points in this one because a Helle was the best player on the ice. Just like we deserved two points against the Rangers because Laine was the best player on the ice. In fact their second goal was actually pretty lucky. The score flattered them

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I believe we did deserve two points in this one because a Helle was the best player on the ice. Just like we deserved two points against the Rangers because Laine was the best player on the ice. In fact their second goal was actually pretty lucky. The score flattered them
Yup. Agree that Helle earned the two points for the team. Full value for the victory. I don't care how we win as long as we win. Previous years, we would corsi the hell out of teams, lose and take solace in the fact that we were goalied. Like that makes it better or something. I like winning pretty, winning greasy, winning ugly, however we get it done. That is the sign of a champion - find ways to win whether or not the stats say you should.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I just don't think the Devils had a lot of great chances to score either. I mean a lot of that was cause Helley allowed no rebounds what so ever and a lot of that was because we kept them to the outside. Their best chances came off that long stretch pass.

Stastny line wasn't very good at all yet they scored twice so they get let off the hook. People rag on Littles line but I thought there were pretty good, I actually thought Connor looked great most of the game.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Also, so very glad we didn't trade for Grabner, didn't even realize he was playing. He just floats out there. Liked Maroon's game though, thought he was involved and was giving us fits in front of the net.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
he hasn't been as awful as he was earlier, but he can still be a d zone liability. not the best at break-outs. not the best at establishing coverage once the other team's in the jets' zone. he's fine during own-zone break-in coverage and ok when it goes behind the net. once a cycle is established, i cringe a bit. once he gets the puck, i cringe a lot.

just look at some of Buff's breakout passes yesterday. they were pretty damn nice.
He's fine during own zone break ins? Chiarot's biggest weakness is his gap control. Breakout passes are next and his biggest strength is just that, his strength. He's very good at separating the player from the puck in contact.

He's playing fine for a 7 D.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Byfuglien really has won me over this season. Even though he had the little sulk at the end of the Buffalo game, he has been really consistently good or great since.

Just keep doing what you are doing, Big Buff! Also that hit on whatshisface by Copp was great!

Kulikov has been pretty awful lately. I thought Myers played a lot better with Morrissey.

I wonder if Chiarot figured out he can play in this league? He's been a lot better and he even said what I suggested - it's confidence. I think he realizes he can score with that shot - could get some surprise offense from him during the playoffs. Will be a shame to scratch him when he's playing the best hockey of his career.

Two things I've noticed about the team in the past 4 - 5 games that is somewhat uncharacteristic: They have been failing to get the puck out when they have clear opportunities to, and they haven't been as strong on the puck overall as I'm used to seeing. They have to clean that up asap.

Great seeing Tanev back.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Little always struggles

Well, at least they're Little struggles.

Weird game, with the Jets looking slower than usual (or slower as usual) against the kind of quick, forechecking team they always seem to be on the back foot against. Ehlers showcasing his Q skill, Buff and Helle steady, a fair bit of desperation D.

Team looks a bit tired and banged-up -- not surprising at this point in the season, but I wonder if PoMo starts to play a rotation once PO positioning is locked up. He has a reputation for running his teams hard, but maybe this is the year he relents.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Kulikov and Myers have been struggling lately. Myers struggles against better players. He's good at pushing offense against bottom 6 forwards but he can be absolutely brain dead in his own zone.

Kuli I don't know whats going on, but he doesn't look like the same player from earlier this season. Maybe it's the increased quality of competition he's been playing, but even last night he struggled. I'd be okay with when Trouba comes back, him and Chairot rotating into the Myers pairing for a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->