Strategies to beat Vegas?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Teams have been outshooting teams for decades yet losing due to a hot goalie.

This can be even more apparent as in todays NHL the best team doesn't always win. It's what happens when there's parity. Game's are often a coin flip.

Jet's lost 4 straight, 3-1, 4-2, 3-2, 2-1. A lucky bounce, a mental lapse, a fanned shot & a double deflection are the easy plays to point out on the defensive side. On the offensive side we ran into Fleury.

Of course there's no consolation in these facts. Sometimes you play well & you lose .

I watched a bit of the VGK/Caps game last night. They are in the same boat we were (from the little I watched). It's pretty much lucky bounces and sticks. We were both robbed of goals or at least very high probability of goals by a VGK stick in the lane or a leg or something. It seems that unless they have magic sticks, they are getting lucky. Missed open nets are another observation, Caps (like us) had a golden opportunity to tie it up last night with a wide open net and the magic stick just touched the puck.

Then the goalie stick knob, and bounces over the stick, off the ref etc.

They just seem to be on a very lucky roll right now. Of course no one is really hitting them and making them look over their shoulders either. We stopped when our series started with them, and it looked like the Caps stopped as well. Not sure why?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Pretty sure the best bet is to flip the script on them and trap the **** out of them. Take away their ability to counter attack and they'd have a lot of trouble producing offense.
And perhaps have the refs call crosschecking interference penalties against them, especially ones directly preceding them scoring goals.

Reactions: FFHockey

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Geez....if we think Vegas is hard to defeat this year, just wait for the upcoming years. They have plenty of cap room, and a slew of draft picks they acquired with teams during the expansion draft. Vegas is set to succeed for the foreseeable future. Get used to Vegas being one of our main arch-rivals.

Very good post, and I totally agree -- this Vegas team is very dangerous, and play like a finely tuned machine - everybody contributes. They also have a very fast transition game, and great Goaltending.

This will be the team that will be the "major" stumbling block for the Jets. I think the Jet's will have to find a "different" way to play these guys, if they expect to beat them. If they had another 7 game series starting tomorrow against Vegas-results would be same.

In order for the Jets to beat this team, they would have to play less offensively, and play a style similar to theirs--their to good on the transition to get caught up ice.

This Vegas team will knock off the Caps in about 6 games -- quite incredible for an expansion team. The Caps should win 2 games I figure-- but nobody is taking this team lightly anymore.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad