Strategies to beat Vegas?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That third goal (the winning goal in a 3-2 victory) by the Knights set up when a stupid Big Buff pinched was a softie for sure. Most good NHL goalies would have saved that, but Hellbuck fanned on it.
Buff pinched....what?

Tanev literally passed him the puck and he fanned on a one timer. It was the unluckiest play you can f***ing imagine. The Jets run that play all game long, it was flat out shit luck.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't think Helly has been horrible this series , he has made many very good saves . It's the timing of the goals that are killing us . Game starts and Helly lets one in early , now we have to work like crazy to tie the game back up . Then right after we tie it again , Helly lets another in , work like dogs to tie it again and totally out play them in the process , and first decent chance against Helly , boom , game . If it's frustrating for us as fans , i gotta figure it's getting to some of the players too .

They should be working like crazy whether they're up by one or down by one. They should start and end the game working like crazy, and do it in the middle too. And they need the goaltending you mention. They need both.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In order to win--the Jets pretty much have to limit the Knights to 2 or less goals--and of course score 3+ goals. I think most of the time they will have to score 3-4 goals to win--or forget it--and we need "games" from Helle.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Nobody wants to drive him out of town, people just want him to make saves like an above average NHL netminder should!
And I just want Ehlers, perreault and kc to score like above average goal scorers. Helly has to be better there is no arguing that I'm just hoping he will come back next year even better. I'm not confident like @Ducky10 that they can come back this year.

Reactions: sipowicz

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure if it's negative that Roslo was the best on the 3rd line. It says Perrault and little may not be worth the money on the plus side it looks like we will have a bright future.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Score more goals.

Calm all the players down after scoring a goal! :)

Give Knights what they are doing to the Jets
Counter strike.
They have been just pounching on Jets pinching defense.
Probably watching the Preds series.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Tampa just reeled off 3 straight over the Caps after losing the first two at home pretty badly..

It's going to take a lot of A games, but the Jets can do this.

I always thought Tampa was going to win that series, but when they lost the 1st - 2 games, I was having my doubts. The Caps always find a way to lose deep in the playoffs--it's like their cursed. I think Tampa will now take this series-- but it's not over yet. We'll now see if the Caps can show some character and bounce back--the same way Tampa has ??

I f the Jet's can win on Sunday--I'd put their chances of winning 2 more straight at around 30 % . A lot of the youth is not scoring--making to many mistakes, and Fleury is playing great. Odds are not in their favor, but they could do it !!!

I hope they surprise me and win 3 straight-- the Hockey world would be abuzz--and the City of Winnipeg would go crazy. I'd love to see this happen.:thumbu:

If the Jet's cannot do it--I'll be proud of their season, and to be a Jet's fan.:)

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Not sure if it's negative that Roslo was the best on the 3rd line. It says Perrault and little may not be worth the money on the plus side it looks like we will have a bright future.

Roslovic is a guy that really impresses me--strong skater, good puck handler, and can also score. Perrault--I'm disappointed in--he's hustling and skating hard--but can't score-- "no finish"-- very streaky player.

After this season the Jets should let Statsny walk--save $ 5-6 mil, and develop Roslovic--he's going to surprise a lot of people next year.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Score more than 2 goals.. If they do that they win. Cant expect to win games scoring 2 goals tho.

Allow less than 2-3 easy goals per game. In fact, allow 0 easy goals.

If that happens, Jets will win. With 2, 3 or 4 goals, doesn't matter.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Roslovic is a guy that really impresses me--strong skater, good puck handler, and can also score. Perrault--I'm disappointed in--he's hustling and skating hard--but can't score-- "no finish"-- very streaky player.

After this season the Jets should let Statsny walk--save $ 5-6 mil, and develop Roslovic--he's going to surprise a lot of people next year.
You can save lots of money in that case next year. Move stas mp mason myers. Bring in a cheaper replacement for mp hopefully k-ves. Pass those savings onto the ticket holders :)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
What would you like me to elaborate on that I haven't many times before? I disagree with what you see and think you're flat out wrong. I really dont know what you're watching if that's your conclusion. All you wrote was Buff is slow in his decision making and reads. So this makes you right?

Here we go, Buff is an elite puck movet and driver, his ability to retrieve the puck and start zone exits is extremely good. He is a force at both blue lines and controls play when he is on the ice which results in high possession and chances for the Jets. He is a threat from the point on the PP and is a very good distributor of the puck.

What else would you like? You disagree, I'm cool with that. Are you correct? Not even close imo.

Elite puck mover sure. Elite driver? Do you mean he's an elite line driver who likes to leave his position so that a forward has to cover for him whenever he gets the urge? :D Yeah, he's not the fastest person making decisions on the ice, more like the average if even that and it goes to show at both ends of the rink. A trait of which happens to be exactly something that the 1st PP QB should not have in a formation/strategy used by the Jets. He makes a lot of mistakes consistently at both ends of the rink, but often the combination of size and skating is enough to let it slide or compensates just enough.

If Dustin Byfuglien is your definition of great to elite puck distributing defenceman, then wow, all I can say is maybe it's time you tuned into watch some other teams as well and see how the better defencemen play the game and/or how they run the powerplay. Buff doesn't even run it (partly cause he can't) and lets Wheelers gets the honors. Hopefully next season it's someone else playing that spot.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Elite puck mover sure. Elite driver? Do you mean he's an elite line driver who likes to leave his position so that a forward has to cover for him whenever he gets the urge? :D Yeah, he's not the fastest person making decisions on the ice, more like the average if even that and it goes to show at both ends of the rink. A trait of which happens to be exactly something that the 1st PP QB should not have in a formation/strategy used by the Jets. He makes a lot of mistakes consistently at both ends of the rink, but often the combination of size and skating is enough to let it slide or compensates just enough.

If Dustin Byfuglien is your definition of great to elite puck distributing defenceman, then wow, all I can say is maybe it's time you tuned into watch some other teams as well and see how the better defencemen play the game and/or how they run the powerplay. Buff doesn't even run it (partly cause he can't) and lets Wheelers gets the honors. Hopefully next season it's someone else playing that spot.
Well you've used lots of words and talked very absolutely, so you must be correct. Not sure what you're watching but it isn't what most people ae . Leaves his position? Is this 1975? Mistakes? Yeah, nobody makes those.

Defers to Wheeler to QB the PP because he can't? The half wall forward runs the PP in a 1-3-1 on like, every team. Watch some of the other teams you condescend to me about, lol.

I get it, you don't like Buff, move on.

Reactions: Jets 31

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
In order to win--the Jets pretty much have to limit the Knights to 2 or less goals--and of course score 3+ goals. I think most of the time they will have to score 3-4 goals to win--or forget it--and we need "games" from Helle.

This is what I saw as our failure against Vegas. Rather than just trying to counter with more offense, Jets needed to go into 1-3-1 and shutdown mode. They would have been a relatively easy team to stop imo. Instead, it was Jets usual high event hockey, and bound to fail. That being said, I'm not being negative. it was a great season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Well you've used lots of words and talked very absolutely, so you must be correct. Not sure what you're watching but it isn't what most people ae . Leaves his position? Is this 1975? Mistakes? Yeah, nobody makes those.

Defers to Wheeler to QB the PP because he can't? The half wall forward runs the PP in a 1-3-1 on like, every team. Watch some of the other teams you condescend to me about, lol.

I get it, you don't like Buff, move on.

Oh the hate card. Well this just turned into another day at the office. :D

Following the logic, should one criticize Scheifele on his bad day the most obvious explanation would have to be dislike or whatnot (can't be that he just had a bad day). Seriously though, you come across all kinds of people, debates and arguments here, but with you the discussion seems to nearly always come down to something borderline entertaining with rather lets just say overblown conclusions.

Buff nearly single-handedly lost game four. You can make one bad decision on the ice on an extremely important game but two, three? Oh but "players make mistakes". Of course that's just one game, but still illustrates the idea especially when you get the feeling you've seen it all before X+ amount of times. Yet clearly there's no pattern and his head works like a charm no matter which supposed-to-be #1D you compared him to.

Guess who had the most powerplay assists in the NHL by the way? Would Buff's inability to find more than one passing lane maybe have any say on the matter? It might help being just a tad bit more objective to see things more clearly.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Oh the hate card. Well this just turned into another day at the office. :D

Following the logic, should one criticize Scheifele on his bad day the most obvious explanation would have to be dislike or whatnot (can't be that he just had a bad day). Seriously though, you come across all kinds of people, debates and arguments here, but with you the discussion seems to nearly always come down to something borderline entertaining with rather lets just say overblown conclusions.

Buff nearly single-handedly lost game four. You can make one bad decision on the ice on an extremely important game but two, three? Oh but "players make mistakes". Of course that's just one game, but still illustrates the idea especially when you get the feeling you've seen it all before X+ amount of times. Yet clearly there's no pattern and his head works like a charm no matter which supposed-to-be #1D you compared him to.

Guess who had the most powerplay assists in the NHL by the way? Would Buff's inability to find more than one passing lane maybe have any say on the matter? It might help being just a tad bit more objective to see things more clearly.
Hate card? Get off your soapbox already. If you can't clearly see your own bias towards Buff's play, I can't help you, you see what you want to see. Yes, you do come across a lot of different people, debates and arguments here, only a few like yourself who proclaim to hold higher ground by talking down others points by calling them entertaining and overblown. Here's overblown for you, "Buff nearly single-handedly lost game 4", see how that works. I'm not sure what rational hockey fan would actually make that claim with a straight face, it's pure comedy.

And Buff's inability to find another passing lane being the reason Wheeler led the league in PP assists is the epitome of entertaining, like c'mon man, seriously?

I love the closing lecture on being a tad more objective, I suggest you find a mirror and have a peek pronto.

Your post is the same one you keep writing, just copy and paste next time.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Hate card? Get off your soapbox already. If you can't clearly see your own bias towards Buff's play, I can't help you, you see what you want to see. Yes, you do come across a lot of different people, debates and arguments here, only a few like yourself who proclaim to hold higher ground by talking down others points by calling them entertaining and overblown. Here's overblown for you, "Buff nearly single-handedly lost game 4", see how that works. I'm not sure what rational hockey fan would actually make that claim with a straight face, it's pure comedy.

And Buff's inability to find another passing lane being the reason Wheeler led the league in PP assists is the epitome of entertaining, like c'mon man, seriously?

I love the closing lecture on being a tad more objective, I suggest you find a mirror and have a peek pronto.

Your post is the same one you keep writing, just copy and paste next time.

Come again? You're telling that I'm biased yet you cannot present even one single argument to make a case for it. Absolutely frigging hilarious. :D

At least there's some actual (some sort of) conversation as opposed to just non-sense remarks like earlier. Guess some people would call that progress.

So you missed the part where he was out of position, lost his man and basically handed a goal for Vegas. Lets not forget about losing the puck as well on a sloppy failed shot where they scored another one. There were other pretty terrible calls by Buff in that game. Slashing a stick from the opponent on faceoff when the team was down by a goal in the dying minutes of a game, which in any regular season game would've been an automatic penalty. Heck, who would even consider doing something like this in a critical moment of a playoff game? Just absolutely ridiculous (why the refs let it slide was beyond me). Yet that's making a big deal out of it? Alright buddy, you got me!

Buff "save-passing" the puck to Wheelers some ~90% of the times certainly didn't hurt with those assists. Not that he isn't an excellent playmaker by his own right. Yet again, you should take off the homer glasses and maybe re-watch some games just to have some clue of what's been talked about here.

You engage a conversation and when people disagree with your assessments you start calling them prejudiced or what not (not the first time). That's pretty juvenile.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Come again? You're telling that I'm biased yet you cannot present even one single argument to make a case for it. Absolutely frigging hilarious. :D

At least there's some actual (some sort of) conversation as opposed to just non-sense remarks like earlier. Guess some people would call that progress.

So you missed the part where he was out of position, lost his man and basically handed a goal for Vegas. Lets not forget about losing the puck as well on a sloppy failed shot where they scored another one. There were other pretty terrible calls by Buff in that game. Slashing a stick from the opponent on faceoff when the team was down by a goal in the dying minutes of a game, which in any regular season game would've been an automatic penalty. Heck, who would even consider doing something like this in a critical moment of a playoff game? Just absolutely ridiculous (why the refs let it slide was beyond me). Yet that's making a big deal out of it? Alright buddy, you got me!

Buff "save-passing" the puck to Wheelers some ~90% of the times certainly didn't hurt with those assists. Not that he isn't an excellent playmaker by his own right. Yet again, you should take off the homer glasses and maybe re-watch some games just to have some clue of what's been talked about here.

You engage a conversation and when people disagree with your assessments you start calling them prejudiced or what not (not the first time). That's pretty juvenile.
Here it is, Buff brings way more positive to the Jets than otherwise, a simple lay person knows that. This year in particular he was a net positive for the Jets for all of the time he spends on the ice. You choose to ignore 95% of what happens when Buff is on the ice and make grandiose statements about goals being entirely his fault and citing some isolated incidents that apparently in your view cost Jets games.

Buff is what he is, not a defensive wizard but underated in his ability to control the game between the blue lines and in how he keeps the Jets moving forward. Anyone remotely familiar with the Jets knows he is a risk/reward type player and in the long run, particularly this year, it was reward.

Those wbo criticize Buff, like yourself always love to point he high event plays he's often unvolved in, mainly beause he logs so many minutes, and portray him in a largely negative light. It's simply inaccurate and is the definition of observation bias.

I don't wear homer goggles, I know what Buff is, what he's good at, what he's not. At the end of the day I know he's an essential part of the Jets in the next couple of years and they rely heavily on him. He's an incredibly unique player.

Talking about knocking guys sticks out of their hands and pointing to 1-100 whiffed shots as bad parts of Buff' game, illustrates where you're coming from.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Nobody wants to drive him out of town, people just want him to make saves like an above average NHL netminder should!

In my day goaltenders didn’t even wear masks .....these ungreatful little punks:sarcasm:
If Mason could have stayed healthy more than 72 hours then perhaps Hellebuyck could have had more rest.
The whole team looked bagged and hey they did far better than many of us dared to imagine.

Reactions: SUX2BU and sipowicz

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Here it is, Buff brings way more positive to the Jets than otherwise, a simple lay person knows that. This year in particular he was a net positive for the Jets for all of the time he spends on the ice. You choose to ignore 95% of what happens when Buff is on the ice and make grandiose statements about goals being entirely his fault and citing some isolated incidents that apparently in your view cost Jets games.

Buff is what he is, not a defensive wizard but underated in his ability to control the game between the blue lines and in how he keeps the Jets moving forward. Anyone remotely familiar with the Jets knows he is a risk/reward type player and in the long run, particularly this year, it was reward.

Those wbo criticize Buff, like yourself always love to point he high event plays he's often unvolved in, mainly beause he logs so many minutes, and portray him in a largely negative light. It's simply inaccurate and is the definition of observation bias.

I don't wear homer goggles, I know what Buff is, what he's good at, what he's not. At the end of the day I know he's an essential part of the Jets in the next couple of years and they rely heavily on him. He's an incredibly unique player.

Talking about knocking guys sticks out of their hands and pointing to 1-100 whiffed shots as bad parts of Buff' game, illustrates where you're coming from.

Whatever you might think of Buff that's fine. Yet it still doesn't change anything I said earlier, not anymore it does about how he played in the game four where nearly all his flaws were exposed in the open like a cracked egg. Not surprised you so hastily turned the page, didn't want to look back and didn't want to analyze those efforts you quite clearly said I over-exaggerated just one post before.

Now the original point I made was that decision making wasn't his best asset and that it clearly shows in the powerplay formation. Otherwise I haven't ever really criticized the man in the past (only remember being frigging furious after that one game against Vegas). I also never said he cannot be a good player especially when he has a good day. Likewise, at the same time, if he has a bad day, it's something not easily ignored. Buff also has a bad habit of spending a lot of time in the penalty box (which again partly reflects upon his ability to make calls on the ice). The bottom line is that he would do be much better suited for PP2 that could use his cannon of a shot, which clearly PP1 does not need as you rather have Laine or Scheifele doing the shooting. He definitely isn't underrated in regards to his ability to control the powerplay. Quite the contrary, people rarely even talk about it. Apart from the powerplay, Buff would suit much better in a #2D type of a role with little less responsibilities but still getting enough ice time. I do expect him to make way for Trouba should he stay in the team (although I'd still prefer Morrisey on the 1st PP). At the end, while I don't think he is #1D caliper NHL player with modern standards, he has been very important piece in the franchise these past years and I can respect that.

Again, you assume that people who criticize Byfuglien are biased/prejudiced, which couldn't be further away from the truth. At the same time you just dodge at all the given details or examples. To me it sounds like you're trying to discredit the poster with these attempts that also derail the debate. Personally I don't hate nor dislike any player in the team. Why would I? I don't know any of these players in person. So it doesn't only sound but actually is ludicrous to make such claims especially when one doesn't have a long history of gunning down a player (making assessments of usage on special units makes an extremely weak case). I just make observations and I'm not afraid to bring them out in the open. I assume this is what most posters do and it's also something you're supposed to do here. This reminds me awful lot like the debate about the ELL where I argued that Little, Laine and Ehlers were a bad match and you kept shooting bullets at Laine and in the end it turned out that they indeed were just a dysfunctional combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->