Online Series: Stranger Things (A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Finished the season. Overall I enjoyed it, but probably not as good as the 1st season.

The 7th episode was awful though. Was that to set up a spin off?

I wonder where this show goes from here. The charm of the show is the kids and that's not going to play as well as they age.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The kids are already looking a lot older. This is why I think it's a good idea to turn the series into an anthology series now.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Took a few days, but finally finished it. Loved it. The kid who plays Will killed his scenes. Great job by him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Liked, but not loved this season. I get a LOST vibe from this series (i.e. the law of diminishing returns). I think it will collapse under the weight of it's mythology.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The kids are already looking a lot older. This is why I think it's a good idea to turn the series into an anthology series now.
I agree. I don't know how else to do it. And even if they do an anthology, they really have to nail the casting like they did here, which will be tough.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Midway through season two and I love the evolution of Steve’s character.

Some of Dustin’s lines have me absolutely rolling too. :laugh:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I really thought season 2 was even better than season 1, to be honest.. I felt it got better as it went on, although like many I found the 7th episode to not be as good. It tied up a few questions marks and what not, but overall I didn't really care for it.

One of the better shows out there right now IMO, looking forward to the next season already!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m really sad that I have three episodes left of season two and will have to wait another...what...15 months before season three? Damn lmao.

CactusEverywhere

Jun 9, 2017
Texas
I tried to make it last a bit by not binge-ing it. Started seeing it ~ a week after it came out and would watch 2 eps at a time like twice a week. Watched the last 3 in one go, though. I think it took about 2 weeks to finish seeing. I've since rewatched both seasons many times, and man it's gonna be a looong wait for ST3 :eek:.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I’m really sad that I have three episodes left of season two and will have to wait another...what...15 months before season three? Damn lmao.
I'm hoping with the fact that the main cast are all going through puberty simultaneously, they will try and rush production of season 3. But common sense tells me that they will write it into the script and make a joke of it.

Edit: I think this can go four seasons and they film the next two back to back.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
I don't understand when people yearn to turn a show into an anthology, especially when the characters are such a big appeal of the show. The creators can explore other ideas their whole career, and without the burden of having to fit within the constraint of the Stranger Things title.

Reactions: Kurtz

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't understand when people yearn to turn a show into an anthology, especially when the characters are such a big appeal of the show. The creators can explore other ideas their whole career, and without the burden of having to fit within the constraint of the Stranger Things title.

Kids don't age well on screen, take GoT for example. Bran, Arya and Sansa have all aged well outside of their respective roles, and the characters have suffered in part because of this.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Kids don't age well on screen, take GoT for example. Bran, Arya and Sansa have all aged well outside of their respective roles, and the characters have suffered in part because of this.

I actually think that Sansa's aging suited her character well. But especially Bran looks a bit strange now.

The kids aged a bit but not too much between S1 and S2. They are in an age though where yearly gaps can make a big difference in the way they look. As I heard that they want to make only four seasons anyway it would be neat if they filmed S3 and S4 in one go to avoid weird looking kids that way. Or simply solve it with a "a year/two years later" remark. It's not a condition that the happenings in two different seasons have to be directly subsequent.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

As Rob said, in this case, the fear is the kids aging. The kids innocence and charm is a huge part of the show. The kids turning into pimple faced teenagers is going to change things. It's no one's fault, but I think it's a real concern.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Count me in someone who was underwhelmed, and a bit let down. There were some good moments, but they couldn't re-create the magic of the first season. Not an easy task at all.

how do I do spoliers?

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
As Rob said, in this case, the fear is the kids aging. The kids innocence and charm is a huge part of the show. The kids turning into pimple faced teenagers is going to change things. It's no one's fault, but I think it's a real concern.
I definitely get that season 1 has a certain innocence to its young leads that won't be maintained later, but I think it can work both ways. One of the powerful elements to the Harry Potter franchise is seeing a cast of characters grow up before your eyes and evolve as people. Coming-of-age themes don't stop at 13, and it seems the plan is to have the material reflect the growth of its actors, rather than forcing them into the roles they were. As for the aging, I would argue other than the character of Noah the remainder of the kids have already gone through the awkward transition between child and teen.

I guess more of my point is that if/when you're going to wrap up the story with the characters, why should the creators constrain themselves by continuing the show at all with a different cast of characters (unless that's something they had always planned)? They might as well start completely fresh where their creative inspiration takes them, knowing they don't have to commit to a similar genre tale and live up to something that was already a runaway success.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I definitely get that season 1 has a certain innocence to its young leads that won't be maintained later, but I think it can work both ways. One of the powerful elements to the Harry Potter franchise is seeing a cast of characters grow up before your eyes and evolve as people. Coming-of-age themes don't stop at 13, and it seems the plan is to have the material reflect the growth of its actors, rather than forcing them into the roles they were. As for the aging, I would argue other than the character of Noah the remainder of the kids have already gone through the awkward transition between child and teen.

I guess more of my point is that if/when you're going to wrap up the story with the characters, why should the creators constrain themselves by continuing the show at all with a different cast of characters? They might as well start completely fresh where their creative inspiration takes them, knowing they don't have to commit to a similar genre tale to live up to.

I didn't watch Harry Poter, so I can't speak to that. It's not impossible to keep it going with the same kids as you suggest, but I think the degree of difficulty gets a lot harder. To me, my enjoyment of the show is solely about the kids and their interactions with each other. The upside down and all that is a complete after thought that I don't pay much attention too.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
To me, my enjoyment of the show is solely about the kids and their interactions with each other. The upside down and all that is a complete after thought that I don't pay much attention too.
I'm definitely with you on this. The sci-fi stuff is just the superficial part of the show and basically just a device to explore how the people deal with problems. For instance, Eleven is a compelling character to me not because of her powers but because of her struggle to escape an abusive past and learn about normalcy/humanity. If anything, the missing character interactions with the kids off doing their own thing was one of my biggest issues for me as season 2 escalated. I don't need the kids to be static and replicate who they were at the beginning, but I'm hoping that the direction they take is with the heart of its core characters and their bonds with each other in mind.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
A few things...

The entire dynamic with Maxine and Billy was weird. I guess she isn't allowed to talk to anyone or have any friends whatsoever? seemed like they didn't really think all of that out.

I get that his Dad is abusive and that they tried to show that to give the character a bit of sympathy, but they then turn around and make it seem like Billy gets enjoyment out of terrorizing Maxine. Also am I the only person that initially thought his aggressiveness towards Lucas was a race thing? I don't think they intended it to come off this way, but it sure seemed like it could have been. Thats fine if that was the angle that they wanted to take, but it wasn't and it was a distraction.

They 100% forced a Barb story line to appease the fans, and it showed. It wasn't necessary, and they could have just briefly addressed it.

The rag tag group of criminals in episode 7 was cringe-worthy. Its like they were all comic book characters that we were supposed to believe lived in the real world. I don't mind the premise behind it, but this episode was executed poorly, and took me out of it. The guy with the mohawk looked like a playable character in Guitar Hero

Mathew Modines presence as a main villain was sorely missed.

The part with Billy and Mike & Nancy's mom was hilarious. Really great comic relief.

other that that I thought it was okay. I don't regret watching it, and I'll watch the next season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I get that his Dad is abusive and that they tried to show that to give the character a bit of sympathy, but they then turn around and make it seem like Billy gets enjoyment out of terrorizing Maxine. Also am I the only person that initially thought his aggressiveness towards Lucas was a race thing? I don't think they intended it to come off this way, but it sure seemed like it could have been. Thats fine if that was the angle that they wanted to take, but it wasn't and it was a distraction.

Billy is a classic bully (maybe that's where his name came from). Someone (his dad) bullies him, so he bullies those beneath him. It's not so much that he "gets enjoyment out of terrorizing Maxine." It's that it makes him feel better about being bullied, himself. I don't think that they show us the scene with the father to elicit sympathy from us as much as to show why Billy is the way that he is, to flesh his character out and make him seem real, rather than like a one-dimensional villain.

I agree with you that his dislike of Lucas could've used some explanation. I wasn't sure if he meant that Max shouldn't hang around with black kids, or if he meant goofy nerds or if he just meant boys. The racist angle seemed most likely, but Billy and Max came from California. I suppose that he might've gotten it from his father, though, who seemed to have a military background and, possibly, more traditional views on things.

The rag tag group of criminals in episode 7 was cringe-worthy. Its like they were all comic book characters that we were supposed to believe lived in the real world.

I hope that the overwhelming negativity toward episode 7 persuades the writers to re-think any plans that they may've had to take the series into a superhero direction (ala X-Men). I, personally, wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if we never see Kali again and she's just left as a loose thread. I don't want the series to become more about Kali and Eleven (and any other wonder kids that they write up) vs Evil and less about the normal kids.

The part with Billy and Mike & Nancy's mom was hilarious. Really great comic relief.

It was funny how it was pointed out on the after show that the dream boat on the cover of the romance novel that she was reading in the tub when the doorbell rang looked a lot like Billy, especially with the dirty blonde mullet. Of course, it was surely no coincidence, since the idea was that she was just fantasying about a guy like him and, voila, he appears at her door.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad