Strange Bluetooth Issue in My Car

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've noticed this strange thing happen whenever I use my bluetooth in my car (2010 Ford Focus). I can connect and auto-connect just fine, play my music, no issues whatsoever there. The weird thing is that after I stop whatever I'm listening to there is this really faint music playing in the background, and it will continue playing until I open up my car door the bluetooth connection ends. Since noticing it, I've realized it actually plays during whatever I'm listening to as well, so if I listen closely enough to a podcast or crank the volume I can hear this odd music playing.

What's strange about it is that the music isn't anything of mine. I've closed every app and even turned off my phone, but still the music persists. It's just random music, almost like it's a radio station that's being picked up, but I've never heard a commercial or anything to indicate that's what it is. Does anyone know if it actually is a radio station? If it is, is there a way to stop it? If it isn't, does anyone have any clue why it's happening? I've never had this happen in another car.

It's obviously not a huge deal, but I am curious about it and would love for it to stop if I can get it to. Any help would be appreciated.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
I've noticed this strange thing happen whenever I use my bluetooth in my car (2010 Ford Focus). I can connect and auto-connect just fine, play my music, no issues whatsoever there. The weird thing is that after I stop whatever I'm listening to there is this really faint music playing in the background, and it will continue playing until I open up my car door the bluetooth connection ends. Since noticing it, I've realized it actually plays during whatever I'm listening to as well, so if I listen closely enough to a podcast or crank the volume I can hear this odd music playing.

What's strange about it is that the music isn't anything of mine. I've closed every app and even turned off my phone, but still the music persists. It's just random music, almost like it's a radio station that's being picked up, but I've never heard a commercial or anything to indicate that's what it is. Does anyone know if it actually is a radio station? If it is, is there a way to stop it? If it isn't, does anyone have any clue why it's happening? I've never had this happen in another car.

It's obviously not a huge deal, but I am curious about it and would love for it to stop if I can get it to. Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing that I can think of that would operate in the same frequency band as Bluetooth is Sat radio. Does your car have the capability to listen to sat radio?

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The only thing that I can think of that would operate in the same frequency band as Bluetooth is Sat radio. Does your car have the capability to listen to sat radio?

Yeah, it does. It's just so weird because you'd think it would play the music right away when the bluetooth was connected, but it only does it after I listen to something like a podcast.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
Yeah, it does. It's just so weird because you'd think it would play the music right away when the bluetooth was connected, but it only does it after I listen to something like a podcast.

From what you have said I don't suspect the phone. A Bluetooth connection is similar to a connection on your home network say from your pc to your printer so if there was a signal issue between phone and radio you would see things like stutters in playback as interference with the signal could be causing dropped packets not a whole other audio source piggy backing on top of it. So if there are no other apps running on the phone that second source of audio is coming from within the radio itself because that signal has to be decoded. Without seeing a schematic of the circuit board I'm just taking a completely wild stab at it but since Bluetooth and sat radio operate on the same frequencies their could be some shared components on the board which could be the issue, or maybe an issue within the software in the radio.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
From what you have said I don't suspect the phone. A Bluetooth connection is similar to a connection on your home network say from your pc to your printer so if there was a signal issue between phone and radio you would see things like stutters in playback as interference with the signal could be causing dropped packets not a whole other audio source piggy backing on top of it. So if there are no other apps running on the phone that second source of audio is coming from within the radio itself because that signal has to be decoded. Without seeing a schematic of the circuit board I'm just taking a completely wild stab at it but since Bluetooth and sat radio operate on the same frequencies their could be some shared components on the board which could be the issue, or maybe an issue within the software in the radio.

Seems plausible to me. I'm pretty good with technology and just kept scratching my head about this. thanks for the input, I know it's not a typical question for these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad