Stralman or Girardi?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Stralman by a mile

Potential wise Stralman is being compared to Lidstrom.. whether he reaches that... who knows

Girardi a decent depth dman imo

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Girardi established himself as a very solid defenseman in his rookie year with the Rangers, Stralman isn't even in NA yet.

Girardi will be a top 4 dman in the league, he plays positionally very well, has good size, and doesn't get caught out of position.

Stralman is the better offensive defenseman though out of the 2 but I really don't know Stralman very well so i'm not going to try to compare then both, im just pointing out what Girardi has done so far.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Girardi was incredibly poised for a 22-23 year old getting his first taste of the NHL. Very calm with the puck and had a sense of where everyone on the ice was. Moved the puck nicely. Very quick stick defensively. Very few mental mistakes. Physically he was fine and he should get at least a little stronger. I don't know how his offensive game is going to translate in the future but I think we're going to see some improvement. Speed wise he could use a tad more but his positional play is solid.

hlundqvist30*

Stralman by a mile

Potential wise Stralman is being compared to Lidstrom.. whether he reaches that... who knows

Any guy who can consistantly shut down Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk single handedly for 4 straight games is a little better than a decent depth dman.....

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Stralman by a mile

Strålman won't be as good as Lidström. It's unfair to compare him to a future Hall of Famer (and was only done on a couple of occasions, I'm pretty sure most people disagree). If you expect him to be that good you'll only end up dissapointed. :)

Anyways, I haven't watched Girardi a lot so I dunno who's better.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Any guy who can consistantly shut down Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk single handedly for 4 straight games is a little better than a decent depth dman.....

Girardi did not shut down Hossa and Kovalchuk single handedly. That is incredibly ridiculous to say.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Anton Strålman, a Swedish defenseman, 19 years old, played in Timrå in SEL last season. He was nominated for rookie of the year, has participated in two JWC's and gave a good impression at the WC this spring in Moscow. He'll play for Toronto this upcoming season.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Anton Strålman, a Swedish defenseman, 19 years old, played in Timrå in SEL last season. He was nominated for rookie of the year, has participated in two JWC's and gave a good impression at the WC this spring in Moscow. He'll play for Toronto this upcoming season.

He's 21 isn't he?

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
I might be the only one, but I'm not ready to rank Stralman up with Lidstrom until he can show he can play North American game.

The guy hasn't even stepped onto the ice at the AHL level and he's already the savior of the Leafs.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I might be the only one, but I'm not ready to rank Stralman up with Lidstrom until he can show he can play North American game.

The guy hasn't even stepped onto the ice at the AHL level and he's already the savior of the Leafs.

Apparently Stralman and Tlusty are going to be parading the Stanley Cup down Young Street.:sarcasm:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Yonge Street...

Like it matters. The cup won't be going down it any time soon, if ever again.

As for the question, I'd take Girardi, he's shown he can handle both the AHL and NHL, and had an important role on a playoff team. Stralman had one good year in Sweden, but nobody knows how his game will convert, if it does.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Trust me, your not the only one.

Your easily the majority.

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Like it matters. The cup won't be going down it any time soon, if ever again.

As for the question, I'd take Girardi, he's shown he can handle both the AHL and NHL, and had an important role on a playoff team. Stralman had one good year in Sweden, but nobody knows how his game will convert, if it does.

Well if you're going to poke fun of the whole 40 year thing, you might as well get your facts right.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Stralman may not have played a game in the NHL, but being a 1st team allstar in the SEL as a 20 year old is pretty freaking good. I am pretty sure he was on their WC adult team too....He's not just some kid scoring big points in junior. Lots of people in swedish hockey have compared him to Lidstrom and said he will be a star. Not leaf scouts but hockey analysts. Heck Sweden's star prospect Backstrom even said that Stralman dominates the game like a superstar. Of course Backstrom hasnt played a game in the NHL either. I wonder how many people question his potential?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
For me, Stralman by a mile. He was All-star in SEL this season and the best D-man, I will even say the best player for Team Sweden at WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad