Straight talk about Kasimir Kaskisuo

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Yep, NHL debut on the second night of a B2B against Sidney Crosby and the Pens, on the first HNIC since the Cherry firing so likely a huge audience.
Oh did I mention the team hasn't won the second game of a B2B this season? ...........no pressure.

Really setting him up for success

Being a backup goalie for this team has to right up there career-wise with cleaning **** out of peoples flooded basements.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yep, NHL debut on the second night of a B2B against Sidney Crosby and the Pens, on the first HNIC since the Cherry firing so likely a huge audience.
Oh did I mention the team hasn't won the second game of a B2B this season? ...........no pressure.

Really setting him up for success

Fair enough. Have to try and treat it like any other game. I hope they don't view any one game on the schedule as a surefire win or guaranteed loss going in.

A team can't really shelter a goalie like they could a forward or defenceman. There's only one on the ice during a game. There's arguably the greatest amount of pressure on a goalie. It's the nature of the position. The one start probably isn't going to be a matter of make-or-break though, barring an unexpected opportunity popping up.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
In this upcoming case, I actually believe Andersen should play the first game.

It's against Boston. He has had success against them in the regular season. They are the better team (although Pittsburgh is no slouch even though they are facing injuries right now), a division rival, and it gives him a full three days of rest before he has to go 3 games in 5 days against good Western teams (all away games).

I would close out 2019 like this probably:

NYI - Andersen
(1 day break)
BOS- Andersen
PIT- Kaskisuo
(2 day break)
VGK- Andersen
(1 day break)
ARI- Andersen
(1 day break)
COL- Andersen
(3 day break)
DET- Andersen
(1 day break)
BUF- Kaskisuo
BUF- Andersen
(2 day break)
PHI- Kaskisuo
COL- Andersen
(2 day break)
STL- Andersen
(2 day break)
VAN- Andersen
(1 day break)
CGY- Kaskisuo
(1 day break)
EDM - Andersen
(2 day break)
BUF - Andersen
(2 day break)
NYR - Andersen
DET - Kaskisuo
(1 day break)
CAR - Andersen
(3 day break)
NJD - Andersen
NYR - Kaskisuo
(2 day break)
MIN - Andersen

Kaskisuo is the first guy twice, and the second guy three times. It's going to be tough for Kaskisuo to get into games because we are playing some tough teams for the most part, and you don't want to give Andersen too many long gaps. His first game that would not be a back-to-back would probably end up being against Winnipeg in the first game of 2020, but I would likely try to get him into one of those games in the second Western road swing (likely against Calgary since they are in the middle) just so Kaskisuo doesn't go too long without a game and so Andersen doesn't have to play 8 straight games. Obviously that changes if Andersen is on a hot streak.
Got to tell you , great job brotha in your work and effort
Here’s one snag man
He won’t be around all year
Sorry

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I am a Dubas supporter but THANK YOU Lou for Freddy. Lou can sure pick his goalies.

Where would we be without him???

Like the Schneider for Horvat trade? How's that holding up ;)

All kidding aside, I totally agree. Thank god for the Andersen trade LOL. Gave us our first legit starting goalie in a decade.

That being said, I do think we have something great in goalie prospect Joseph Woll. There's another goalie prospect (Ian Scott) that some like, but I personally don't like. That being said, I haven't been great at evaluating goalies in the past like I have with forwards/defensemen so take my opinion lightly lol.

As for Kaskisuo, he's a complete question mark at the NHL level. I don't think he's anything special, even for a backup. The search is still on for an adequate backup. Ryan Miller costs 1.5 million I think, and would be a good backup.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Question is how short of a leash the leafs will give him. Will he even get a game before they make a trade?

Anyone see how he did in practice today?

would be interesting to give him a few games but a few extra losses would hurt us at end of the season.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope Kask can have a solid debut. We really need some stability back there. Pulling for anyone and everyone at this point lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hes been excellent in the ahl lately, thoigh obviously with goalies that doesnt mean that will necessarily translate to the nhl.

Fortunately thr Leafs dont even meed him.to be a world beater - just be consistently average or even just below average would be an improvement

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
A friend of mine who isn't a hockey fan always bugs me and says why hasn't a team ever tried getting a sumo wrestler who is literally bigger than the net and strap on some pads.
I've heard this joked about too. I'll assume mobility will be there down fall. Anything as wide as that net will have stamina problems just wearing the pads.
Sometimes I wonder.... Never know

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A friend of mine who isn't a hockey fan always bugs me and says why hasn't a team ever tried getting a sumo wrestler who is literally bigger than the net and strap on some pads.

Sometimes I wonder.... Never know

It's been tried, there are videos on YouTube... the Sumo guy didn't do very well.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Kaskisuo could very well be our Binnington, I hope he gets a legitimate shot to develop and succeed at the NHL level.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one will know until he gets his chances between now and holidays. He is a solid AHLer for sure. and he deserves his 4 or 5 game chance. It is now or never for Kask. My guess is he can't get us 3 or 4 points in his next 4 starts then we will look for another goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->