Straight talk about Kasimir Kaskisuo

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What is your scouting report on him. I only saw him play on tv last season. He didn't seem to have an impression on me either way.

Do you like him?

Can he be a winning NHL backup?

Is this a long shot situation?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What is your scouting report on him. I only saw him play on tv last season. He didn't seem to have an impression on me either way.

Do you like him?

1. don't know him
2. he better be
3. yes

Reactions: Buds17

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If you enjoyed Sparks' ability to get facing the wrong way a few times a night, this may be the goalie for you.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought he wasn't even going to be qualified then he had a very good playoff run and has been pretty solid to start the season. Do I think he's a NHLer no. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t remember him being especially impressive whenever I saw him in the AHL. He doesn’t seem like one of those big goalies with structure and technique who seem to thrive in the modern game.

I’m curious what our goaltending scouting department is like and if it’s the same as under the Burke Nonis era. Amateur scouting for goalies has consistently be an abject failure since the JFJ era when they drafted Rask and Reimer in successive drafts. Guys like Gustavsson, Scrivens, Rynnas, Gibson, Sparks have all been terrible NHLers. They all seem to be goalies with good athleticism who don’t know how to play the position. Feels like a systematic problem.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Was battling groin injuries last year I believe, which could have effected his stats earlier on. His sample size is small though, but also not unusual for a UFA goalie from the NCAA. I think best case is you get a Casey DeSmith type situation who's followed a similar path to Kaskisuo.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I don’t remember him being especially impressive whenever I saw him in the AHL. He doesn’t seem like one of those big goalies with structure and technique who seem to thrive in the modern game.

I’m curious what our goaltending scouting department is like and if it’s the same as under the Burke Nonis era. Amateur scouting for goalies has consistently be an abject failure since the JFJ era when they drafted Rask and Reimer in successive drafts. Guys like Gustavsson, Scrivens, Rynnas, Gibson, Sparks have all been terrible NHLers. They all seem to be goalies with good athleticism who don’t know how to play the position. Feels like a systematic problem.

I'd be interested to see how they compare to other teams in developing goaltending prospects (UFA or drafted). I think you'll see a wide range of them probably go on to do much of nothing. Gustavsson and Scrivens almost played 200 and 150 games respectively. Other teams saw value in these goaltenders also as they went on for NHL careers with different teams. I'd argue Scrivens wasn't terrible for us either (we'd kill for the numbers he had with us right now) he just was a necessary piece to move for Bernier.

Leafs have only drafted 5 goalies in the last 10 years which could be the larger issue. I think for a long time they felt it was a wasted draft pick to select a goalie when they could roll the dice on more established UFA goalies from NCAA/Europe.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Too much to ask from a kid at this stage - we really need a legit backup. I could be wrong but he is not the answer at this point

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough situation to make an NHL debut in; as a backup on a team with a certain amount of expectations. Not to say he won't be up to the task. It's just that he hasn't received any opportunity, and particularly one of this magnitude, until this point. This is his chance until or unless it isn't.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
1. don't know him
2. he better be
3. yes
2nd verse, same as the first:
Leafs backup goalie situation:
upload_2019-11-13_13-45-1.jpeg

Reactions: ACC1224

horner

May 22, 2007
get ready for 20 high quality scoring chances.
good luck.
maybe
he should play the first game
Anderson should play the second game

maybe just maybe the team will play good both nights.

I think playing the backup on the 2nd game gives our players an excuse not to show up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Do you like him?

1) As a player, he's a great #3 who has been one of the better goalies in the AHL since making it there so I like him enough to give him a shot for now. As a person, he seems pretty intense at times but I do not think he is an asshole or anything.

2) Depends on the defense. I think. The breakdown is essentially:

Nice athleticism. Can make big saves because of it. Not worried about that at all really. If his mental game and positioning are average NHL backup level, I think his athleticism can give him a shot at a long, successful NHL career as an above-average backup/occasional starter.

Good mental game. Has played some big games and has been successful. Won't give up many weak goals and recovers well. NHL is obviously a different game.

Positioning is solid but not spectacular. In general, it's not going to cost him more than a typical NHL backup, but if he makes a big save, it's likely due to his athleticism and not his positioning. Tracks the puck well, even in traffic. Rebound control is somewhat of a concern, but it has improved over the years and he had the athleticism to recover from a bad rebound. However, NHLers are going to make him pay more than AHLers so hopefully his defense helps him out or he cuts it down. Has cut down his "flopping" and is generally not in poor position to get beat clean. Is prone to open up the five hole a bit too much when moving laterally, which is a problem with a lot of cross-seam tips and when people drive the net, but otherwise covers his five hole well.

To summarize: If the Leafs play like ass in front of him, don't expect to win many games. That rule applies to most NHL backups though. If they play like they did in Hutch's stretch, I think he can come out with 50% of the points, which considering those are all back-to-backs against high end teams, should be considered a success for a 675k backup. If the Leafs play well in front of him, like they often did in front of McElhinney, he can probably be a more permanent solution to our backup dilemma, at least for the next year or two. Will probably come closer to winning 2/3 of games and may even be able to play 25-30 games in a season.

3) Pretty sure most goalies are long shot situations... But giving a chance to a 26 year old who has never played an NHL game? Yeah it's a long shot, but it's low risk long shot that could pay dividends so why not?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Tough situation to make an NHL debut in; as a backup on a team with a certain amount of expectations. Not to say he won't be up to the task. It's just that he hasn't received any opportunity, and particularly one of this magnitude, until this point. This is his chance until or unless it isn't.

Yep, NHL debut on the second night of a B2B against Sidney Crosby and the Pens, on the first HNIC since the Cherry firing so likely a huge audience.
Oh did I mention the team hasn't won the second game of a B2B this season? ...........no pressure.

Really setting him up for success

Reactions: ToneDog

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Yep, NHL debut on the second night of a B2B against Sidney Crosby and the Pens, on the first HNIC since the Cherry firing so likely a huge audience.
Oh did I mention the team hasn't won the second game of a B2B this season? ...........no pressure.

Really setting him up for success

Luckily Crosby won't be there. Should help.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
get ready for 20 high quality scoring chances.
good luck.
maybe
he should play the first game
Anderson should play the second game

maybe just maybe the team will play good both nights.

I think playing the backup on the 2nd game gives our players an excuse not to show up.

In this upcoming case, I actually believe Andersen should play the first game.

It's against Boston. He has had success against them in the regular season. They are the better team (although Pittsburgh is no slouch even though they are facing injuries right now), a division rival, and it gives him a full three days of rest before he has to go 3 games in 5 days against good Western teams (all away games).

I would close out 2019 like this probably:

NYI - Andersen
(1 day break)
BOS- Andersen
PIT- Kaskisuo
(2 day break)
VGK- Andersen
(1 day break)
ARI- Andersen
(1 day break)
COL- Andersen
(3 day break)
DET- Andersen
(1 day break)
BUF- Kaskisuo
BUF- Andersen
(2 day break)
PHI- Kaskisuo
COL- Andersen
(2 day break)
STL- Andersen
(2 day break)
VAN- Andersen
(1 day break)
CGY- Kaskisuo
(1 day break)
EDM - Andersen
(2 day break)
BUF - Andersen
(2 day break)
NYR - Andersen
DET - Kaskisuo
(1 day break)
CAR - Andersen
(3 day break)
NJD - Andersen
NYR - Kaskisuo
(2 day break)
MIN - Andersen

Kaskisuo is the first guy twice, and the second guy three times. It's going to be tough for Kaskisuo to get into games because we are playing some tough teams for the most part, and you don't want to give Andersen too many long gaps. His first game that would not be a back-to-back would probably end up being against Winnipeg in the first game of 2020, but I would likely try to get him into one of those games in the second Western road swing (likely against Calgary since they are in the middle) just so Kaskisuo doesn't go too long without a game and so Andersen doesn't have to play 8 straight games. Obviously that changes if Andersen is on a hot streak.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Too much to ask from a kid at this stage - we really need a legit backup. I could be wrong but he is not the answer at this point

He's 26 years old. That's not a kid. He's been really good lately and deserves a shot.

This should give you a small idea of what Kaskisuo is about. Not a huge goaltender but he's pretty athletic.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's 26 years old. That's not a kid. He's been really good lately and deserves a shot.

This should give you a small idea of what Kaskisuo is about. Not a huge goaltender but he's pretty athletic.

Kaskisuo is 6'3", 205. It's not Ben Bishop but that's at least averaged size, and only 1 inch shorter than Andersen. He's not as built up as Andersen but 205 is enough for his frame and allows him to move around easier.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kaskisuo is 6'3", 205. It's not Ben Bishop but that's at least averaged size, and only 1 inch shorter than Andersen. He's not as built up as Andersen but 205 is enough for his frame and allows him to move around easier.

I'll be honest, he plays much smaller than his 6'3" for some reason. I thought he was closer to 6'-6'1"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad