Strachan realignment proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Seamus O' Toole said:
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/Hockey/2006/02/05/1426441-sun.html

Pacific: San Jose, Vancouver, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix.

Northwest: Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago, St. Louis.

Central: Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, Columbus, Dallas.

I always found it weird that Dallas got sent to the Pacific

I don't think it you can seperate Vancouver from Calgary, Edmonton, and Colorado.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I still haven't figured out why Chicago and St. Louis go to the Northwest and Minnesota (which is ALREADY northwest of both St. Louis and Chicago) goes to the Central.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
futurcorerock said:
I see that it's that time of year.

Strachan has nothing to write about since the lockout's over, so he's playing in imagination-land

not really ... there is going to have to be a serious re-alignment IF Pittsburgh has to leave for Houston OR KC

2 ways of doing it ... moving CBUS into Pittsburgh's spot in the Atlantic OR the Preds into the SE & Washington into the Pens vacated spot in the Atlantic ...

http://www.tmlfever.com/files/map_of_team_cities.gif

IF Houston gets the Pens the league will have to re-align to make sure Houston & Dallas are in the same division, IF KC gets the Pens then St Louis is the logical choice to be put in the same division

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Seamus O' Toole said:
not really ... there is going to have to be a serious re-alignment IF Pittsburgh has to leave for Houston OR KC

2 ways of doing it ... moving CBUS into Pittsburgh's spot in the Atlantic OR the Preds into the SE & Washington into the Pens vacated spot in the Atlantic ...

http://www.tmlfever.com/files/map_of_team_cities.gif

IF Houston gets the Pens the league will have to re-align to make sure Houston & Dallas are in the same division, IF KC gets the Pens then St Louis is the logical choice to be put in the same division
.... to the point of moving Minnesota to the Central and Chicago to the Northwest?

Crock. Of. Shiat.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

dont get mad im just a messanger

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

That is absolutely beautiful. Love it! :clap:

Blueshirt Yankee

Aug 7, 2005
Jersey
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

:biglaugh:

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
The same discussion was going on in the Oilers board. I'll post here what I posted there....

Here's my idea if Pittsburgh were to relocate to Houston. Keep in mind that because the western teams are spread out and there are more teams in the eastern US, the Western Conference is never going to be ideal. For example, it could be argued from a geographical point of view that Nashville, Columbus, and Detroit should be in the Eastern Conference.

Here's my idea, realigned teams in italics.

Western Conference

Northwest
Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, San Jose, Vancouver

Southwest (was Pacific)
Anaheim, Dallas, Houston (Pittsburgh), Los Angeles, Phoenix

Central
Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis

Eastern Conference

Northeast
Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Southeast
Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay

Atlantic
New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Washington

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
MuzikMachine said:
Southeast

Atlantic

Exactly. Nashville is the closest NHL team to Atlanta and should be in the same conference and division as us. It's hard to really create a rivalry with the Caps, as D.C. is too far away from Atlanta to really feel like a rival (Atlanta to Washington is about a 12-13 hour drive. Columbus is closer to Atlanta than D.C.). Washington would have more natural rivalries with the NY/NJ teams and the Flyers.

Perhaps the Geographic Conferences needs to be dumped.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Dallas knows that it has to eat travel costs, and probably accepts that. What it can't accept is a vast number of its games starting at 9 or 9:30 pm because they are being played on the west coast.

The East is all on the same time zone, and thus there is the luxury of aligning the division geographically (well, if you move Nashville, they are in the Central time zone).

What Dallas, and perhaps others in the west, would like to see is time zone-based divisions (Pacific, Mountain and Central) so that the respective fan bases can watch divisional games that start at 7pm-7:30, particularly important in those the markets that are trying to nurture a new fan base.

If the Pens moved to Houston, or even Vegas...

Western Conference

Pacific Division
Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix

'Mountain' Division (NW)
Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Dallas, Houston/Vegas

Central Division
Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division
Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Southeast Division

Atlantic Division

You would still have some teams that are one time zone off from the rest of their divisional rivals, but at least you'd be rid of teams TWO times zones away. Dallas does have a valid point here: Being two time zones away from divisional opponents is brutal.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
vespajet said:
Exactly. Nashville is the closest NHL team to Atlanta and should be in the same conference and division as us. It's hard to really create a rivalry with the Caps, as D.C. is too far away from Atlanta to really feel like a rival (Atlanta to Washington is about a 12-13 hour drive. Columbus is closer to Atlanta than D.C.). Washington would have more natural rivalries with the NY/NJ teams and the Flyers.

Perhaps the Geographic Conferences needs to be dumped.
Yeah maybe do an AFC and NFC for hockey.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Hasbro said:
Yeah maybe do an AFC and NFC for hockey.
And then the AFC can bring in the designated hitter while the NFC rejects it, and hockey fans everywhere can have one more thing to complain about ... because as we all know from browsing the boards here, there's a critical shortage of things to compain about in hockey.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
Dallas knows that it has to eat travel costs, and probably accepts that. What it can't accept is a vast number of its games starting at 9 or 9:30 pm because they are being played on the west coast.

The East is all on the same time zone, and thus there is the luxury of aligning the division geographically (well, if you move Nashville, they are in the Central time zone).

What Dallas, and perhaps others in the west, would like to see is time zone-based divisions (Pacific, Mountain and Central) so that the respective fan bases can watch divisional games that start at 7pm-7:30, particularly important in those the markets that are trying to nurture a new fan base.

You would still have some teams that are one time zone off from the rest of their divisional rivals, but at least you'd be rid of teams TWO times zones away. Dallas does have a valid point here: Being two time zones away from divisional opponents is brutal.

this was my point in my post, without moving pittsburgh of course, only thing making it hard is that dallas is so far from any other team, i kept the pens in pittsburgh for the simple fact that the argument on where they should go or who deserves a team more is just so talked out i didn't even want to bring it up. too much of a headache unless there was a city already told it'd have the next franchise.

GWhale*

Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

That is perfect, I don't even see a reason to discuss this further. This should be the NHL.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
GWhale said:
That is perfect, I don't even see a reason to discuss this further. This should be the NHL.

*cue the barrage of 'watered down league' posts*

i know it was in the past, but i just don't like the idea of uneven divisions in the same conf. personally i'd much rather see all divisions with the same number of teams. therefore, if you add a team to the east, there's also gotta be a team added to the west.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

That's the best proposal I've seen on here.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

Also a new playoff format, i mean an old won where its 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in your division (division semi-finals) then Division finals, then conference finals, stanley cup finals.....i think this would help rivalries big time not the 8 games against each divisional team like today's bs

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Seamus O' Toole said:
Pacific: San Jose, Vancouver, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix.

Northwest: Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Chicago, St. Louis.

Central: Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, Columbus, Dallas.

I always found it weird that Dallas got sent to the Pacific
What if they just change the name from Pacific to Southwest, would that ease peoples geographical minds?

Breaking up Detroit, St. Louis, and Chicago breaks up some good divisional rivalries. I know that new rivlaries can be born, however, those take time.

To me, it really makes no difference what a division consists of as there is usually a logical reason for division allignments, and they don't always have to be geographic. The NFL kept Dallas in the same division as Philly, Wash, and the football Giants.

EDIT: I like MusikMach's allignment. A southern rivalry between ATL, NAS, and even the FLA teams would be a pretty good bill actually - particularly ATL & NAS. However, Nashville seems to be developing pretty good rivalries with Chicago and Detroit along with a little expansion rivalry with Columbus.

Last edited:

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
I got a better proposal

Adams Division

Montreal
Boston
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec
Toronto
Ottawa

Patrick Division

New York I
New York R
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Washington
Pittsburgh

Norris Division

Detroit
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Chicago
Winnipeg
Columbus

Smythe Division

San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Colorado

Yeah, that is almost perfect, but there has to be a least two more failed franchises you can throw back in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->