Strachan: Fans just don't understand...like I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

This guy is such a clown. He deserves the Bryan McCabe award for journalistic integrity. Maybe we should let Weird Al in on the fact that just maybe the simplest explanation tends to be the right one, i.e. teams are loosing too much damn money.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
This guy is such a clown. He deserves the Bryan McCabe award for journalistic integrity. Maybe we should let Weird Al in on the fact that just maybe the simplest explanation tends to be the right one, i.e. teams are loosing too much damn money.

Instead of just reading the name & condemn the article, could you read it & answer it ?

I don't care if it's Strachan or Brooks or Fischler who wrote an article. If it points out valid argument that I agree or not, it have his merit to question it.

Crazy Lunatic

Russian Fan said:
Instead of just reading the name & condemn the article, could you read it & answer it ?

I don't care if it's Strachan or Brooks or Fischler who wrote an article. If it points out valid argument that I agree or not, it have his merit to question it.

Uhh.. I read the article before you *or* the original poster did and its typical Al Starchan NHLPA propaganda. Read it for yourself, numbnuts. It doesnt point out a single "valid" argument. The guy admits he's clueless as to why the NHL locked out the players this long. That tells you everything you need to know about the neverland Weird Al lives in.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Uhh.. I read the article before you *or* the original poster did and its typical Al Starchan NHLPA propaganda. Read it for yourself, numbnuts. It doesnt point out a single "valid" argument. The guy admits he's clueless as to why the NHL locked out the players this long. That tells you everything you need to know about the neverland Weird Al lives in.

So no one should write something that leans toward the NHLPA because it's propaganda & everything that is written on the owners side is pure truth & genius ?

Like I said , you stop reading at Al Strachan but if you continue reading you would see some relevant question that the ''fans'' does not want to understand or simply passes by because they believe small market & new CBA = new possibility of a cup.

Now stop seeing Al Strahan & here's some relevant question he thinks should be answered :

Some of the owners, those who did well under the old collective bargaining agreement and would be rolling in money under the new one, don't understand it.

How it is fine that an owner who make 20M$ in the old CBA will now make 40M$-60M$ with the next CBA no matter how it will be resolve ?

At one point, he said the league needed a new deal because: "From our standpoint, we have seen the economic problems (in Buffalo and Ottawa)."

But at the time of the Buffalo situation, he said: "What's interesting in both Ottawa and here in Buffalo is that in Ottawa, the financial underpinning or strength of the franchise was Ogden/Covanta and they went into bankruptcy (protection), having nothing to do with the hockey team.

"And here, Adelphia went into bankruptcy (protection), and that's where the money was coming from to support the club, having nothing to do with the hockey team."

How come Bettman can say one thing & the opposite after ? Because fans don'T remember what has been said a year ago & will remember only what is been said the last month.

In Tampa last year, it was put to Bettman that the 12 conference finalists over the past three years have been 12 different teams, therefore there was no economic disparity.

Bettman agreed, but said such success was costly: "I think in Carolina's case, their payroll increased by 33% or something like it after they went to the Stanley Cup final."

In fact Carolina's NHL roster payroll went to $33.75 million from $30.5 million, an increase of 10.66%. The team's total NHL payroll, including the farm system, bought-out and injured players, went to $46.1 million from $43 million, an increase of 7.06%.

Again , which side is propaganda when someone says one thing & the opposite later on ? To put people on his side ?

When the NHLPA made its Dec. 9 offer, Bettman said it was "fatally flawed." He made a number of assertions regarding Exhibit 13 which showed its inflationary nature.

The union held a conference call to show that those assertions were wildly inaccurate and Bettman hasn't been heard from since.

Again, Bettman took the best of what the NHLPA had to offer & he put some ''factless'' fact. Since it was a PR move & the NHLPA call him on it. It was better to not continue this aspect in public so he stop talking about it.

------------------------
I dont care if it's Al Strachan who wrote it but not because it goes toward the NHLPA & you disagree on it means it's not worth it.

It's like saying that all republicans are the same kind of people & all democrates think alike.

Matt Foley*

Among other things, here's one comment that I took exception with...

And the players, the most important segment of the hockey community...

IMO, the hockey community is made up of three equally important parts...

1) the team owners

2) the players, and

3) the fans.

In terms of a metaphor, these three parts of the hockey community that I list above work together, kind of like a three-legged stool. Just as such a stool is useless without one leg, the value of the other parts of the hockey community are less if one component is missing. Any two components by themselves cannot make the community thrive.

Just my opinion.

Crazy Lunatic

Why did Bettman try and put a good spin on the bankruptcies of Ottawa and Buffalo? Oh I don't know Al, maybe because he is the NHL commisioner and that's his job?

Weird Al then goes on to say there is parity in the NHL. That line single handedly ruins all his remaining credibility. It's a joke and not even worth answering, but here goes...

1994 - New York Rangers
1995 - New Jersey Devils
1996 - Colorado Avalanche
1997 - Detroit Red Wings
1998 - Detroit Red Wings
1999 - Dallas Stars
2000 - New Jersey Devils
2001 - Colorado Avalanche
2002 - Detroit Red Wings
2003 - New Jersey Devils
2004 - Tampa Bay Lightning

Wow! Look at all those small market teams! I wonder what happened to all those small market teams that made a playoff run and old Strach uses to bolster his case went? Hmmm...

Carolina - Missed the playoffs the next year.
Florida - Missed the playoffs the next year.
Anaheim - Missed the playoffs the next year.
Calgary - Most likely would have missed the playoffs this year.

Then Weird Al goes on to say that a few big market teams are upset that there is a lockout. Wow! What a shocking revalation from the Strach Attack! Thats almost like saying Jeremy Roenick would accept a cap, oh wait... Roenick *did* say that. Any other points Weird Al made that need to be squashed?

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Russian Fan said:

I'll answer it: teams in non-major markets have sold for about the same price as a solid AAA baseball franchise. All indications are that the Ducks can't be sold for any more than about $30-40 million less than the last round of expansion fees. Buffalo and Ottawa went into bankruptcy.

Yes, some big market clubs were ok under the old system and would be ok under a continuation of it. However, no modern sports league could or should limit itself to operating only in the no-brainer markets. It is, accordingly, imperative that a system is devised to allow and promote competition between no-brainer markets and other major league-caliber markets.

The NHL owners, backed by the experience of the NFL and NBA, with very successful franchises in places like Green Bay, Kansas City, Sacramento, etc., has decided that a salary cap is the best way to do this. Most objective observers, and a huge majority of the league's customers, agree.

And there you have it.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Crazy Lunatic said:
Calgary - Most likely would have missed the playoffs this year.

Not too sure most people would agree with you here.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Far be it from me to defend Al Strachan, but you can't simply dismiss everything in here because it comes from a journalist that most people here don't like.

Points raised that are pretty good:
(1) Bettman has flip-flopped and made contradicting statements about Ottawa and Buffalo bankruptcies
(2) Bettman uses false facts to try to get his point across (proven by the Carolina quote, if it is accurate)
(3) Strachan implies that a good chunk of fans don't know what the lockout is truly about, and actually think the season will be cancelled in a righteous quest for competitive balance and lower ticket prices

Sorry, as much as anyone hates Al, we can't dispute any of that.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Stachan is still pissed at Bettman. He has his anti owner anti Bettman agenda and has allowed it to affect his reporting. Al wasn't bad at one time but as he gets older he sounds more and more out of touch.

I did experience one emotion from reading this column. :lol :lol :lol

Brent Burns Beard