Strachan Blames Nashville for Big Market Foes

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by puckhead103*, Nov 7, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. puckhead103*

puckhead103* Guest

what a tool.....

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2006/11/07/2265205-sun.html

2. ACC1224

ACC1224 Registered User

as always Al gets directly to the root of the problem.

3. Tinordi24*

Tinordi24* Guest

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer The future ain't what it used to be.

Laytex Salesman
    I hear what you are saying but I do not think you can compare the two. The NHL is a gate driven league and teams need play-off revenue to make money. The NFL teams do not have the same concerns as they actually have TV revenue to share. So I do not see that model working for the NHL.

5. Boilers*

Boilers* Guest

Strathcan's always going to be a tool. There is a bit of merit to it though. Nashville isn't selling out games and gets rewarded as much as a team who's been to game 7 of the SCF's. Still better than the system we've had in the past, but Nashville had better be winning a cup with the welfare money they've been receiving.

6. puttinonthefOIL

puttinonthefOIL Registered User

There's nothing stopping the Leafs from drafting better, making better trades, developing their young talent, signing smart contracts, improving their coaching etc... just like every other team. Get over it Strachan, the Leafs can't just "buy" the best available free-agents anymore. I don't know why he thinks the "old" way was so great anyway, it didn't do much for the Leafs.

7. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    We don't sell out, and our punishment is, we have to keep a low payroll. We're still one of the lowest payroll teams in the league.

8. Dolemite

Dolemite The one...the only... Sponsor

Home Page:
    This is what I don't get. He points a finger at the predators then says

So how does Al know this information? :dunno:

9. ACC1224

ACC1224 Registered User

Eklund told him.

10. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

How the hell can Strachan be so god damn stupid?

Revenue sharing has NOTHING, absolultely NOTHING to do with Detroit's, Colorado's, Philly's etc. problems. As long as they can spend the max and make profit, revenue sharing has zero effect.

11. N Bahn Ahden

N Bahn Ahden Registered User

Home Page:
    His idea of "succesful teams" are the rich teams, and they were only succesful because they could continually buy a team. Now that they are on fair ground as far as personnel ability it's not the systems fault they are struggling (or no longer dominanting), its their management and players being fairly outplayed.

12. jstreet

jstreet LETS GO PREDS

Parks and Rec
    Home Page:
    My name is Al, does anyone have a Kotex that I can borrow, my cramps are killing me,... :cry:

13. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

A) This should be on the business board

B) As a team who some fans of other teams seem to be like giddy school girls about their belief in the eventual breaking up of, the Pens, let me say that I love this system. No longer is putting together a great team contigent on how much money you can overspend on players, but instead depends on your front office, in assembling and keeping a team together. I the school girl are right about my Pens for instance, it will be my front offices fault in choosing wrongly who to keep and who to cut ties with. My front office who did not continue o draft well. My front office who made dumb instead of smart FA signings to fill the holes beyond the Crosby's, Fleury's and Malkin's. Thank God the playing field is leveled. This is a great system for anyone who believes in rewarding competence in your front office. If your team can not keep up, put the blame where it belongs, not on one of the best systems in sports.

14. MXD

MXD Dead again

Dead
    There's a darn difference between NFL and NHL... While there are smaller markets in the NFL, those teams never had any gates problems I can think of (thrown aside the Cardinals, but that's the case of a permanenly bad team), and football is the main sport in those cities -- as is the case with every cities represented in the NFL for that matter. Nobody in the NFL will whine about Green Bay receiving money from revenue sharing -- hey, their stadium is completely packed.

Hockey is the main sport in only 6 cities... And was a main sport with 2 teams that left because of the former economics. While a case could be made with hockey being the 2nd sport in Buffalo, hockey holds the 3rd to 56th spot in "sports ranking".

15. Judge Sauer*

Judge Sauer* Guest

Fixed it, watching out for ya buddy.

16. avs_19*

avs_19* Guest

Strachan is an idiot.....plus how the hell can he put the Avs and Wings in the same class as Philly?

They get blown out every game and are the worst in the NHL and with all these big salaries for crappy players, ie) Hatcher, Rathje, Nedved, etc.

Last time I checked the Avs/Wings dont have these big contracts for useless players and we are doing pretty good.

Stupid Strachan.

17. MayDay

MayDay Registered User

The same number of teams make the playoffs in the new NHL as the old NHL. Sixteen. The playoff revenue overall for the league is roughly the same. The only difference is that now more different teams get to share in that wealth, since big-market can no longer buy themselves a perennial playoff team.

The new level playing field bay hurt some of the teams that had been able to take advantage of the old system (at least, until they figure out how to ice a competitive team under the same budget as everyone else). However, it doesn't hurt the league as a whole.

18. Northern Dancer

Laytex Salesman
    What in the hey does the above rant against the Leafs have to do with the article, most Leaf fans cannot stand Strachan, Cox and Simmons, the Axis Of Evil in Toronto.

19. veronesepk

veronesepk Registered User

bwaahahahahahha!

20. Northern Dancer

Laytex Salesman
    So what is wrong with on top of a salary cap also having a luxury tax?

ps. the playing field is not even, you are actually rewarded in the NHL for dis-interest in either building a good team (good draft picks) or marketing it in your community. (revenue sharing).

21. joolzie

joolzie Registered User

Home Page:
    Well, it kind of has an effect in that some teams who were only spending (say) $30M before the lockout are now spending $40M. Not only can the teams that make lots of money no longer go and buy whoever they want (thereby making their team "worse"), but the teams who couldn't afford those players before now can (thereby making their teams "better").

Strachen has a point (whether it's a good or relevant one is debatable), but saying that incompetence is being rewarded is not correct.

22. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    we're talking strachan again - the guy won't go away - well done al - for good or bad

23. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    But using Nashville as an example is wrong. Before the lock-out we were one of the lowest payroll teams, after the lock-out we're still one of the lowest payroll teams.

24. shveik

shveik Registered User

Inspired dilettante
    Home Page:
    I think Strachan is both right and wrong. The new CBA has hit some very well managed teams hard, bit it's not the big market teams that were the victims. To me it looks like the teams that suffered the most were Tampa, coming off their first Cup, and Ottawa, on the verge of getting one. The new CBA makes it easier for an average front office to achieve success, and makes it much harder to do it consistently.

25. Beauty eh?

Beauty eh? Not sure if serious.

Brian Burke>Al Strachan