Video Stortini attempts to imitate Rypien, and fails badly

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
His right hand is loose at the end and its the only time he threw a punch with that hand, if you even want to call those punches. So when did he break it?

maybe its bruised bad or cut. who knows. stortini can't fight but he tries. this fight he didn't even attempt. maybe something is up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
This is true. Barch lost to Vandermeer and Strudwick. He wouldn't fight MacIntyre and would probably lose to Peckham.

1. MacIntyre
2. Vandermeer
3. Peckham
4. Strudwick
5. Stortini

He also got rag dolled by Souray last season.

1. MacIntyre
2. Vandermeer
3. Penner
4. Peckham
5. Jacques

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
This is beyond pathetic, I don't know if I've EVER seen a worst attempt by a fighter. Heck, even non-fighters can do a better showing than this :shakehead

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
LOL! What a simpleton. Someone needs to explain to Shortweenie that ugly dudes are supposed to play dirty hockey. He'll live longer, make more money and be far more useful playing the agitator. It's good that he's willing, but Jesus tap dancin' Christ, learn how to fight if you're going to do it you mook!

Please stop fighting Zach, it makes baby Jesus cry and I'm pretty sure you're scaring the **** out of your mother. Try and channel your inner Kenny Linsman and leave the rest to MuckIntyre. He's having trouble getting work these days anyway, I'm sure he'd thank you for the business.

FrankRizzo

Jan 10, 2010
When Rypien uses the blocks, he also times it to connect more punches than the other guy. When Stortini done it, he looked like he was cowering up and bracing himself for a beating.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
The most pathetic thing was at the end... when they show just how empty the arena is.

:laugh: True enough.

As for Storts...

Look. He's earned the monicker "Huggy Bear" for a reason. He's taken plenty of meat hammers to the face in his few years in the league, and he's smart enough to know he doesn't like it. He isn't a good fighter. No news to anyone. He was inserted by the Oilers as an agitator/heavy when first called up, and he's given his best to meet the expectations but failed miserably in the fighter role.

But anyone that views that video and concludes that what's seen there is the norm for him and calls him out as such is on glue. Sure, he punches with the bottom of his fist on the best of days, but that dude was either: 1. totally fatigued, and therefore jumped by an opportunistic Barch, or 2. hurting somehow.

If it's the latter, give the guy a break. I don't care WHAT sort of adrenalin's rushing through your system, you don't punch a guy's face square on if your hand is somehow not 100%. Unless you're plain psycho. And Storts is far too ineffective in fights to be that.

If it's the former, same deal. If he's bagged, it's pretty tough to do much in a bout. Call him out as a wus all you want, but you're selling him short if you label the above as how he goes about his business on the ice. Hell - he stood in there for a beating against Orr earlier this season... he could sure endure Barch.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
:laugh: True enough.

As for Storts...

Look. He's earned the monicker "Huggy Bear" for a reason. He's taken plenty of meat hammers to the face in his few years in the league, and he's smart enough to know he doesn't like it. He isn't a good fighter. No news to anyone. He was inserted by the Oilers as an agitator/heavy when first called up, and he's given his best to meet the expectations but failed miserably in the fighter role.

But anyone that views that video and concludes that what's seen there is the norm for him and calls him out as such is on glue. Sure, he punches with the bottom of his fist on the best of days, but that dude was either: 1. totally fatigued, and therefore jumped by an opportunistic Barch, or 2. hurting somehow.

If it's the latter, give the guy a break. I don't care WHAT sort of adrenalin's rushing through your system, you don't punch a guy's face square on if your hand is somehow not 100%. Unless you're plain psycho. And Storts is far too ineffective in fights to be that.

If it's the former, same deal. If he's bagged, it's pretty tough to do much in a bout. Call him out as a wus all you want, but you're selling him short if you label the above as how he goes about his business on the ice. Hell - he stood in there for a beating against Orr earlier this season... he could sure endure Barch.

It didn't look like he was jumped he threw off the gloves at the same time as Barch. If Stortini is hurt then Renney should be blamed for even dressing him. He is and ineffective fighter at the best of times. Stortini drew the penalty and if he was bagged he should have said to Barch, later and skated off.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
It didn't look like he was jumped he threw off the gloves at the same time as Barch. If Stortini is hurt then Renney should be blamed for even dressing him. He is and ineffective fighter at the best of times. Stortini drew the penalty and if he was bagged he should have said to Barch, later and skated off.

I think the more operative term I meant to emphasize was "opportunistic", as in Barch having challenged him while he was bagged. To clarify, I wasn't insinuating that Stortini was "unprepared" or was caught off guard.

Agreed if he's hurt he shouldn't have played. I know of no media reference suggesting that he was, so while I was tossing it out as a possibility, I'm thinking that the notion that he was tired at the end of a shift is most probable.

Agreed that he's a ineffective heavy "at the best of times". I suggested such in my post.

As for the option of putting Barch off, yep. Potential combatants do that all the time. That would have been wise - he'd simply have had to endure some of the post-fight taunting, PRE-fight. ;)

Bottom line again, is that he's an awful fighter and has earned a degree of ridicule for his ineffectiveness in the "ring". But such history is liable to taint a person's perspective to the degree that they give him less credit that he deserves. IMO, it's tough to generalize that particular scrap with Barch to reflect Stortini's bouts on the whole.

Either way, while I'm not here to "defend" Stortini's fighting, I'm not all that impressed with Barch doing his theatrics at the end. As has already been stated, I don't recall Barch having been so bravado after Souray - in no way a heavy - destroyed him. Maybe we play THAT vid back on the screen next time @ Rexall and see if he's still so eager to play to the crowd as he was in Dallas.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Stortini can't fight, but he has made a decent career of trying. He has heart but some guys just don't have that fighting skill.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Stortini is reasonably tough and willing, but good god, he's pretty much just a punching bag on skates. Any time he gets in a fight you pretty much know he's gonna get beat down.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Rypien defends but still faces his opponent unlike Stortini

trevor gillies does the same thing as rypien, its very effective but you have to go into knowing you may be taking a few shots. rypien is a lefty right? i think thats why the do it because if they are fighting righties its an open fight.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Stortini is reasonably tough and willing, but good god, he's pretty much just a punching bag on skates. Any time he gets in a fight you pretty much know he's gonna get beat down.

Kind of like a former Oiler (Kelly Buchberger). At least for Storts he has one thing going for him over Buchy - even if he loses another 100 fights he'll probably still have some semblance of eyebrows. Buchy had his punched off by the mid 90's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad