Value of: Stopgap goalie to the Preds

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
With Rinne being placed on the injured reserve with an unknown injury (possibly the knee) the preds may want a another backup option to turn to. My first thought goes to Carolina who will be carrying 3 goalies. Maybe McElhinney for a 5th? The goalie would preferably be a ufa this year and cheap since the preds wouldn’t need to keep him past Rinne’s return. Who do you offer?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
jake allen?

The OP said the preference is a guy with an expiring contract, and cheap.

You offer a guy making over $4m for an additional 2 years.

Seems like not a good match and that you didn't read beyond the title of the thread.

Reactions: iSophagus

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
With Rinne being placed on the injured reserve with an unknown injury (possibly the knee) the preds may want a another backup option to turn to. My first thought goes to Carolina who will be carrying 3 goalies. Maybe McElhinney for a 5th? The goalie would preferably be a ufa this year and cheap since the preds wouldn’t need to keep him past Rinne’s return. Who do you offer?
They can't trade him unless they were the only team that put in a claim or he clears waivers.

From the CBA:
A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What's wrong with Saros
Exactly. There's actually a pretty good silver lining in Saros taking a longer stretch of games than usual. It doesn't really matter who sits behind him. Svoboda for now, or Grosenick.

I guess you never really know with concussions, but Rinne didn't seem to be in any major difficulty last night, there aren't any indications of this being a long-term concern.

Preds are not in the market for a stopgap. Teams looking to dump a goalie can look elsewhere.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Preds don’t need a stop gap unless we learn there’s something more wrong with Rinne that’s not healing anytime soon.
This is Saros’s time to show what he’s got. It’s not March or April so it doesn’t matter who sits on the bench behind Juuse.

Stop gap is not needed.
If Saros is injured then we worry.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Preds don’t need a stop gap unless we learn there’s something more wrong with Rinne that’s not healing anytime soon.
This is Saros’s time to show what he’s got. It’s not March or April so it doesn’t matter who sits on the bench behind Juuse.

Stop gap is not needed.
If Saros is injured then we worry.
Ultimately I think the OP is worried that theres nothing left if Saros gets hurt.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm not THAT worried. The injury seemed minor. Waivers will suck because the Preds have last priority and can't jump in front of the Leafs who hemorrhaged 2 goalies who might be released soon. Let's say Rinne misses the rest of the month. Edmonton who Saros was going to play anyway. SJ, NJ. EDM at home, Vegas at home (all gold everything.) Everyone of those games has a day off inbetween. IF Saros goes down, Panic. Give a pick for McBackup.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Ultimately I think the OP is worried that theres nothing left if Saros gets hurt.
Yeah I get it, but it’s October. Why add another body (that there isn’t room for when Rinne comes back) now when Rinne probably comes back in 7 days? If it’s later in the season then yes, I agree. But it’s a premature concern right now.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'm not THAT worried. The injury seemed minor. Waivers will suck because the Preds have last priority and can't jump in front of the Leafs who hemorrhaged 2 goalies who might be released soon. Let's say Rinne misses the rest of the month. Edmonton who Saros was going to play anyway. SJ, NJ. EDM at home, Vegas at home (all gold everything.) Everyone of those games has a day off inbetween. IF Saros goes down, Panic. Give a pick for McBackup.

He got placed on IR the next day, and will guarantee miss 3 starts. The way he got clunked in the head I'd be a little more worried that it's more than just minor. Hiller and Crawford both had minor head injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad