stop signs?????

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Its a good idea but definitely not a cure-all. There's still too many checks from behind in kids hockey I'm finding. My son's league probably saw on average one player every second game receiving game misconducts for checking from behind at the pee-wee level.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
I think they're a great idea. Seapine Software sponsors the STOP program for the Cincinnati Amatuer Hockey Association. All PeeWee players and up have a STOP sign on their jerseys.

I agree also with the too many checks from behind comment. Unfortunately I think the NHL bears a significatn blame on this one. It seems like every game I watched this season I saw at least one ugly check from behind right in front of a ref that went uncalled. Unfortunately the kids try to emulate the stars and when they see the big boys checking from behind with no consequence they feel they should do the same.

As a coach I don't tolerate it. This is on the very short list of things that will set me off on a ref or one of my players. i will not hesitate to bench a player that checks from behind.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Back in the day, I lead the league in misconducts for checking from behind. Thank God nobody got hurt, but in my warped adolescent mind, I just didn't care. Not sure if a stop sign would've helped, I probably needed a good ass kicking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad