Proposal: Stone to the Sabres

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
1. Ottawa is most assuredly on Okposo's NTC list
2. The Senators have no interest in taking on Okposo's salary
3. The value SHOULDN'T be enough (may very well be though)
4. For whatever reason the Sens have made it a priority not to trade withing the conference/division

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
1. Ottawa is most assuredly on Okposo's NTC list
2. The Senators have no interest in taking on Okposo's salary
3. The value SHOULDN'T be enough (may very well be though)
4. For whatever reason the Sens have made it a priority not to trade withing the conference/division

Stone is signed for 1 year, yes?

A deadline rental price for a guy like Stone would likely be a mid-late 1st and a good prospect and maybe a little more. This proposal is a mid-late 1st, a good prospect (Nylander), a fair prospect (Baptiste) and a decent roster player (Okposo - ignoring the NTC for a moment).

Are you expecting more than that for a guy that is a UFA in 1 year?

EDIT: Missed "extended" as I assumed Stone couldn't be extended until Jan 1.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seems to me like Ottawa is not willing to trade within the conference, so I don’t know that Stone to the Sabres is actually a real possibility.

I think the OP’s offer is very fair though, especially since Stone can’t be signed to an extension at this time. So it’s be quite a lot to give up for a potential 1yr rental in what is likely a non-playoff year for Buffalo.

Edit - just noticed the “if extended”part in the OP. As I already mentioned, Stone is not able to sign an extension until January.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Love Stone. If extended.

Okposo (locked in player to balance salaries) IF Ottawa not on his 15 NTC.
Nylander
2019 1st (St.Louis or SJ)
Baptiste

If that's your offer, I don't think you really love Stone.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If that's your offer, I don't think you really love Stone.
So? SJS didn't "love Karlsson", and look what happened.

Having said that KO is NOT happening. Melnyk will never pay that salary. Replace Guhle/1st for KO and OTT will have to consider it if Stone let's on that he won't re-sign.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
So? SJS didn't "love Karlsson", and look what happened.

Having said that KO is NOT happening. Melnyk will never pay that salary. Replace Guhle/1st for KO and OTT will have to consider it if Stone let's on that he won't re-sign.

I would be shocked if Stone brought back a return like that...

Two 1st round picks, a recent #8 overall pick who has looked fantastic so far 5is offseason (and who’s 3 year ELC hasn’t even started yet since it’s slid each year) and a B prospect is a ton to give up for a 1yr rental.

I can’t see Ottawa getting that much. I mean, that’s more than they got for 1yr of Karlsson...

And buffalo couldn’t fit him under the cap without sending someone like Okposo or another equivalent cap hit back.

To get more than the usual rental price for a top tier player of a 1st + prospect, I think it’d have to be a trade after January 1st, where the acquiring team has a deal already worked out with Stone.

Anyway... as I said above, I don’t see a deal with Ottawa as realistic for Buffalo. They seem to avoid trading players within division/conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->