Rumor: Stone doesn't want to play in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
No it's not. How many players suffer career ending injuries in hockey? It's very rare, so for Stone, to odds are low.

Even if he has down season with a bunch of nagging injuries, it won't affect his value. Teams know what he can do, and they'll outbid each other to get him. They'll just chalk up any struggles to playing for a **** team.
I think you’re underestimating his injury history and his lack of speed. I would want to sign him right now for 8 years but he’s taking a bit of a risk as a player entering his 30s soon with already slow speed and injuries

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
giphy.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL, lined up? Wouldn't that convey the idea that there are perhaps people bidding against each other for the franchise? If anyone had made Melnyk an offer that the BoG would approve it would have been done by now. Actually it would have been done last year before the Lebreton development was approved so that the new ownership group could put their signature on the project.

And even in the hypothetical situation that the team gets sold, what exactly are people going to support on ice? A direction-less team with no future, no first round pick this year, no star talent on the roster? It'll be 2020 before we can even get excited about the possibility of a first overall pick (assuming we actually win the draft lottery). Probably 2022 before we have enough young talent assembled on the roster to start signalling the end of the rebuild. And probably 2024 before this team is even competitive.

And during that whole time - through all the misery and hardship - this fanbase is going to go back to supporting this team the way they used to?

You actually believe that?
Um no Melnyk owns the team not Gary Bettman its his decision to sell.

The excitement would be a real hockey front office with a real vision. Not hard to understand that if you are on this board consistently..

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
LOL.

Seriously you could not be more clueless.

1) We KNOW that deep pocketed people who are well connected to the NHL want to purchase the Sens and develop Lebreton. That is part of the public record.

2) The new ownership group would provide direction. Acting like they would continue down the current self destructive path is frankly idiotic.

3) The fans would support a rebuild under new ownership. They are DONE with Eugene.

4) Players are abandoning ship because of Melnyk. New ownership could choose to make this a place where UFA's sign or they could choose a more patient approach. Either way, the fans will buy in.

Not sure what part of this picture you fail to grasp, but your rants about the team moving are simply laughable.

Your inability to comprehend what you read is what's really laughable.

1) Blah blah blah "we know deep pocketed people" want to buy the team...want to buy but so far haven't made a good enough offer to entice this moron of an owner to sell.

2) Where did I say that a new ownership group would continue down the same path? But if Stone and Duchene are already traded by the time a new ownership group completes the purchase of this team then what the f*** will be left of it to rebuild?

3) Again, no comment made on this fanbase continuing to support Eugene. Yet, you still bring it up like you're defeating a point I NEVER f***ING MADE.

4) Ottawa has NEVER been a place where UFAs want to sign. Not in the early 2000s. Not in the mid-2000s. Not since the salary cap or before it. Again, it's easy to say this fanbase will buy in. It's probably the easiest thing to say. But how do you know? Again, assuming Stone and Duchene are traded, no first round pick this year, no veteran star players on the roster, the worst team on paper in the NHL, 2020 first round pick (which hopefully gets 1st overall), at least 2022 until there's enough young talent assembled through the draft and developed. 2023 or more likely 2024 before this team starts to create excitement and be competitive.

During that time, this will probably be consistently the worst team in the NHL almost every single year, and fans are going to go back to supporting this team like they used to because there's a new ownership group? Must be nice to live in your world of delusion.

Time will show how wrong you are on this.

This team is being annihilated in front of our eyes.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Um no Melnyk owns the team not Gary Bettman its his decision to sell.

The excitement would be a real hockey front office with a real vision. Not hard to understand that if you are on this board consistently..

Sale of teams requires approval by the NHL Board of Governors...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Bottom 5 team without its first round pick.

Return for Stone will be abysmal. Say goodbye to Duchene as well.

Dorions face became the most punchable thing in hockey just now

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
That is every rumour ever, though. No one ever reveals their sources.

You're basically saying that every rumour should be ignored all the time.
Pretty much yeah. That is how adults function in society. Otherwise, now you can say 'I read a report that Stone hates the team and wants out'. But it's the fruit of the poison tree.

If the guy had said that he had spoken to players or a close anonymous source with knowledge, etc that would have some value. But simply stating 'I heard that (insert rumour here)' is not worthy of journalists and wouldn't even be accepted on this forum without contacting a mod first to explain how you came by the information.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think from Stone's response that this 'reporter' has been slapped down a peg or two. The worst thing on Twitter is people posting 'I'm hearing that...' and they're totally just making crap up or posting their cubicle neighbour's invented nonsense.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If ownership rumours are true and a new partnership or sale is imminent, I can see Stone staying. It's somewhat tempting to be a captain of a Canadian NHL team. EK may never be a captain again. Stone could lead the Sens for the next decade and possibly even become the next Alfie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->