Rumor: Stone doesn't want to play in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
pls make it stop
stock-photo-drug-dealer-offers-to-choose-and-buy-crap-drug-dealer-selling-narcotics-or-drugs-many-drugs-and-536614078.jpg

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I dont buy that entirely.

He did what he needed to do to maximize his 1 year contract.

Holding out for a trade would damage his stock.

He leveraged the arbitration against the chaotic situation in Ottawa and grabbed himself another million bucks.

So he gambles on himself, gets a nice payday and controls his future as a UFA while he waits to if the Sens org gets turned around at all.

People always make things so binary like he can only want to stay or only want to leave.
For a player won’t as much injury history it’s a big gamble to sign only for one year. Holding out and signing elsewhere would have been better if he really wanted out.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I cant help but wonder what would happen if you ever had a public statement that the big 3 UFAs had wanted to stay but not for Melnyk.

Like an unprecedented NHL mutiny.

This would only occur after they signed long term elsewhere because NHL owners and GMs can be real big babies about taking vengeance on those that "disrespect the game" by speaking ill of the masters of the purse.. but still. It's an interesting thought.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So does Pierre go back to one of the GM's who have recently robbed him for a second/third dip, or allow others in on the Ottawa Senators freebie giveaway?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We are watching the death of a franchise. No star players on the roster, no one in the stands watching, no bailout from the city, no first round pick this year to generate some hope. This is the end of this franchise. There has never been a team in the NHL with a bleaker outlook both on and off the ice.

Some other NHL-calibre city will step up with a huge relocation offer and the BoG of the NHL will feel compelled to allow the move while lining the pockets of the owners with a handsome fee.
This always seems to happen to teams, who's owners get too " hands on " in all pro sports....it's never a good thing, when the owner becomes the face of the team...never.
Feel bad for you guys...

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I cant help but wonder what would happen if you ever had a public statement that the big 3 UFAs had wanted to stay but not for Melnyk.

Like an unprecedented NHL mutiny.

This would only occur after they signed long term elsewhere because NHL owners and GMs can be real big babies about taking vengeance on those that "disrespect the game" by speaking ill of the masters of the purse.. but still. It's an interesting thought.

Anyone with common sense knows that a team that needs a new arena, a losing roster, questionable owner, a small market team, and 200 million in fairly recent debt is pretty much impossible to sell in the current city. Im sure their agents and lawyers are advising players on this as well. Eugene would be smiling ear to ear if 3 pending UFA's made a mutiny because that gives him a reason not to dish out 100 million dollars to keep all 3.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
At what point Dorion goes to Melnyk and has an honest talk about this whole mess, bringing resignation letter along with him?
I mean he's driving his own career into the ground and he knows it. Which team would ever hire him after this fiasco? There isn't a whole lot of market for incompetent yes-men with terrible PR history in this league, I don't think so.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
People need to realize that even after a 2nd putrid season in a row this year, with Colorado owning our 1st pick, even stinking it up in 2019-20 and 2020-21, the Sens only have a 37% probability of a #1 overall pick in those years combined (18.5% per year).

Without a new owner willing to invest in some free agents, this team could be terrible for a very long time, thanks to StooGene's Magic Dollar Per Point Liquidation Emporeum.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There are billionaires lined up to buy the team and develop Lebreton flats.

You aren't witnessing the death of a franchise, but the last gasps of the Melnyk ownership...it's a BEAUTIFUL THING!!!

LOL, lined up? Wouldn't that convey the idea that there are perhaps people bidding against each other for the franchise? If anyone had made Melnyk an offer that the BoG would approve it would have been done by now. Actually it would have been done last year before the Lebreton development was approved so that the new ownership group could put their signature on the project.

And even in the hypothetical situation that the team gets sold, what exactly are people going to support on ice? A direction-less team with no future, no first round pick this year, no star talent on the roster? It'll be 2020 before we can even get excited about the possibility of a first overall pick (assuming we actually win the draft lottery). Probably 2022 before we have enough young talent assembled on the roster to start signalling the end of the rebuild. And probably 2024 before this team is even competitive.

And during that whole time - through all the misery and hardship - this fanbase is going to go back to supporting this team the way they used to?

You actually believe that?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
For a player won’t as much injury history it’s a big gamble to sign only for one year. Holding out and signing elsewhere would have been better if he really wanted out.

No it's not. How many players suffer career ending injuries in hockey? It's very rare, so for Stone, to odds are low.

Even if he has down season with a bunch of nagging injuries, it won't affect his value. Teams know what he can do, and they'll outbid each other to get him. They'll just chalk up any struggles to playing for a shit team.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
People need to realize that even after a 2nd putrid season in a row this year, with Colorado owning our 1st pick, even stinking it up in 2019-20 and 2020-21, the Sens only have a 37% probability of a #1 overall pick in those years combined (18.5% per year).

Without a new owner willing to invest in some free agents, this team could be terrible for a very long time, thanks to StooGene's Magic Dollar Per Point Liquidation Emporeum.

That is not how probabilities work...

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
So does Pierre go back to one of the GM's who have recently robbed him for a second/third dip, or allow others in on the Ottawa Senators freebie giveaway?

Only western conference teams allowed to bid, and they have to take Bobby Ryan on top of that(unless we're just moments away from our artificial deadline, then we'll take any crap offer we'll get).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Predictably, this has turned into a game of he-said, she-said. Per Marc Brassard, here's what Stone had to say:

«Je n'ai jamais entendu parler de Louis Jean, je ne sais pas où il aurait pu trouver cette information. J'adore ça ici, j'ai aimé mes 4 dernières années ici et je veux rester ici. Je ne sais pas qui est Louis Jean.»

TR: "I've never heard of Louis Jean. I don'y know where he could have gotten this information. I love it here, I've liked my last four years here and I want to stay. I don't know who Louis Jean is."

Reactions: Big Papi

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The players can see that the organization is not committed to winning and the roster they're rolling out there. Mark Stone is not stupid, and neither is Matt Duchene. Are they really going to sign away their prime to a team destined to be a bottom feeder for the next few years?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Predictably, this has turned into a game of he-said, she-said. Per Marc Brassard, here's what Stone had to say:

«Je n'ai jamais entendu parler de Louis Jean, je ne sais pas où il aurait pu trouver cette information. J'adore ça ici, j'ai aimé mes 4 dernières années ici et je veux rester ici. Je ne sais pas qui est Louis Jean.»

TR: "I've never heard of Louis Jean. I don'y know where he could have gotten this information. I love it here, I've liked my last four years here and I want to stay. I don't know who Louis Jean is."

He's saying the right things, but unfortunately his 1 year deal speaks louder.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Only western conference teams allowed to bid, and they have to take Bobby Ryan on top of that(unless we're just moments away from our artificial deadline, then we'll take any crap offer we'll get).

I think at this point, Bobby "Cap Floor" Ryan is management's favourite player after Boro. Would not be surprised if he doesn't go anywhere.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pen to Paper is the only thing that matters for Stone and Duchene. There will be shit like this all year and its the teams own fault for not getting this and Duchene done earlier.

Dorion said in his interview yesterday that Stone and Duchene wanted to see how things go this season before committing, that doesn't bode well.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
LOL, lined up? Wouldn't that convey the idea that there are perhaps people bidding against each other for the franchise? If anyone had made Melnyk an offer that the BoG would approve it would have been done by now. Actually it would have been done last year before the Lebreton development was approved so that the new ownership group could put their signature on the project.

And even in the hypothetical situation that the team gets sold, what exactly are people going to support on ice? A direction-less team with no future, no first round pick this year, no star talent on the roster? It'll be 2020 before we can even get excited about the possibility of a first overall pick (assuming we actually win the draft lottery). Probably 2022 before we have enough young talent assembled on the roster to start signalling the end of the rebuild. And probably 2024 before this team is even competitive.

And during that whole time - through all the misery and hardship - this fanbase is going to go back to supporting this team the way they used to?

You actually believe that?
LOL.

Seriously you could not be more clueless.

1) We KNOW that deep pocketed people who are well connected to the NHL want to purchase the Sens and develop Lebreton. That is part of the public record.

2) The new ownership group would provide direction. Acting like they would continue down the current self destructive path is frankly idiotic.

3) The fans would support a rebuild under new ownership. They are DONE with Eugene.

4) Players are abandoning ship because of Melnyk. New ownership could choose to make this a place where UFA's sign or they could choose a more patient approach. Either way, the fans will buy in.

Not sure what part of this picture you fail to grasp, but your rants about the team moving are simply laughable.

Reactions: NorthCoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->