"Stone Cold" Steve Austin Characterization and Wrestling Style

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Does anyone else think the original Stone Cold character concept was substantially different than what Austin ended up becoming in 1998 and 1999?

If you go back and watch old promos and matches from 1996, it seems like the idea behind the character was basically that he was a calculating and methodical sort of character who was a very talented technical wrestler. He wasn't supposed to be a badass per se (at least before the feud with Hart). He was an abrasive and borderline ruthless sort of individual and the "Stone Cold" nickname basically reflected that he was cold-blooded in a sense.

But as he became increasingly edgy and aggressive, he morphed into more of an over-the-top ass-kicker and his wrestling style (especially after the injury against Owen Hart) changed accordingly. He became less of a technician and more of a brawler.

I think a very aggressive version of Stone Cold Steve Austin who was also a great technical wrestler could have been very good. Unfortunately, he wasn't the same in the ring after breaking his neck and the WWF favored more of a brawling style for its main eventers in the late 1990s anyway.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
There are definitely two different Stone Colds. I think a lot of his shift in wrestling style can also be attributed to his neck injury at the hands of Owen Hart.

Original Stone Cold was incredibly fresh at the time. My favorite example of this is the sheer intensity he brought to the role in his first big rivalry with Bret Hart. The live via satellite interview him and Bret had on Raw is one of my top Raw moments.

I believe he's always maintained that the general inspiration for the Stone Cold character was a specific documentary on TV he saw about a contract killer (or serial killer). The coldness of the original character reflects that.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
After watching Dark Side of the Ring you can tell he was influenced by David Schultz a bit imo

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think it's just a simple case when you change from a good guy to a bad guy or a bad guy to a good guy you have to change a few small mannerisms

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The best Stone Cold was 96/97 Stone Cold in my eyes. Some of the best promos ever and spot on with his gimmick. I wouldn't say that he was a great technician or anything prior to his neck injury but he was able to do more things. After his injury he wisely took the route that many wrestlers do when they're slowing down and turned more to brawling, and in his case it suited his gimmick perfectly anyway. I consider his feud with Bret Hart to be easily his best.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Ringmaster gimmick aside, the original heel run in late 96 to early 97 was an always pissed off bad ass Stone Cold. He then became a more fun loving character in latter part of 98. The beer drinking aspect of his character didn't really become a thing until his feud with The Rock in early 99. You saw more of the fun loving guy with his heel run in 2001, and the "what" chant became a thing.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
He also went from someone who supposedly "didn't give a damn" what anyone thought to an incredibly pandering babyface who was basically pleading for approval from the audience even though it was the complete antithesis of the character.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't think Austin pre SS 97 was going to work long term. The WWF needed to beat WCW. They already had enough technically sound wrestlers. It's just they weren't "Out there" like WCW/NWO. Austin might've been a "Worse" wrestler from SS on. But his character, and ultimately feud with McMahon, truly transformed him into a Mega Star.

I think the downfall of WCW really started on December 28th, 1997 (Starcade). 18 month build up to Hogan and Sting. One of the most anticipated matches in Wrestling history. Epic Sting entrance. And then...a terrible letdown.

Hogan (The bad guy) dominated the inflapable Sting. Then, the referee was supposed to do a fast count on a Hogan legdrop. Instead it was a slow count. So it looked like an 18 month build up ended on a measly Hogan legdrop. Fair and square. The Bret Hart mess after this made it worse.

In the end, WCW screwd up royally. Weeks later, theWWF brought in Tyson. And though the TV ratings wouldn't favor the WWF until April, the turning point had occured. I wish someone would create a thread about the Starcade 97 fiasco. I can't.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Having a busted neck might force ya to have to change shit up a bit, no??

Hell its a miracle he was able to even wrestle after that injury..nevermind become the absolute megastar and arguable GOAT like how he did. :)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Part of the change as well was they had to out of necessity start booking him in a lot more "segments" as oppose to matches coming of his broken neck in 1997. I think it's a lot harder to book entertaining segments for true heel characters than for fan favorites, because in those types of segments its the baby-face who usually ends up on top.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was a combination of a few things. The neck injury forced him to change. You look after he had the fusion and came back in 2000-2001 he started doing more stuff again. Not quite to his 1996-97 peak but more than he could in 1998-early 2000.

The full blown attitude era in late 1997-2001 the matches were bad. It was more about energy and personality and spots. Main event style was guys punching each other for 99% of the match. I love Undertaker and he's had some great matches over the years but his match at KOTR 1999 vs. The Rock was terrible. And I love Foley as well but if Undertaker doesn't throw him off the cage, no one remembers the Match at KOTR 98.

Also after the Montreal thing Austin became the stick it to the man guy vs. Vince McMahon.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I love Foley as well but if Undertaker doesn't throw him off the cage, no one remembers the Match at KOTR 98.

I disagree.

Ironically, when I think of Foley in that match I always think of the fact that he actually fell through the cage (due to a freak accident after being chokeslammed by Taker) first...and the thumbtack finish...before then remembering his first fall into the Spanish announcing table.

Wasn’t the first fall actually scripted??

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree.

Ironically, when I think of Foley in that match I always think of the fact that he actually fell through the cage (due to a freak accident after being chokeslammed by Taker) first...and the thumbtack finish...before then remembering his first fall into the Spanish announcing table.

Wasn’t the first fall actually scripted??

It was, and Foley was supposed to go through the cage as well, though not at that time and in a more controlled manner. I don't think that it was a good match or anything though and if it had gone according to plan I think that it would have been pretty forgettable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad